Amounts you use

xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
Kind of an odd question but I am thinking I am going overboard on the amounts I am using. When you co-wash do you use a quarter sized amount of cond - the amount you would typically use when using a shampoo? And then when you cond after the cowash are you using a larger amount of the conditioner? Thanks!
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    My hair would laugh at me if I tried to use nothing more than a quarter-sized blob of condish on it. :lol: I use LOTS. A few palmfuls to co-wash with and then a few to condition. My hair soaks up condish like there's no tomorrow. I'm sure it would be too much for anyone who easily gets overconditioned- the only time I've had that problem was from using either too much leave-in or too much/too heavy cream styler.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I use a whole palmful for co-washing. I use less than that for actual conditioning, but still quite a bit. I like to get my hair all nice and coated.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    Whew - I am normal then. For some reason this morning I just thought about this and wondered if I was going overboard with the amounts I use.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • IsolindeIsolinde Registered Users Posts: 32
    Yeah, I'm definitely the same. I keep looking at people talking about dime and quarter sized amounts, and wondering how they get that much to saturate their hair. If I used less than a palmful, I couldn't get it all the way to the scalp.
  • one way streetone way street Registered Users Posts: 772
    I use about a quarter sized amount of shampoo when I wash (always with Elucence) and 2 quarter sized amounts of conditioner (Elucence too)
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    Isolinde wrote:
    Yeah, I'm definitely the same. I keep looking at people talking about dime and quarter sized amounts, and wondering how they get that much to saturate their hair. If I used less than a palmful, I couldn't get it all the way to the scalp.

I feel the same way. I can't figure out how some of the longer hair curlies can only use dime and quarter size amounts of any prods. I use lots of condish and gel. I despise those inconsistent gel-less spots.I am sure I waste a significant amount getting it evenly distributed but I don't really care when the end result is great.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • ElithiaElithia Registered Users Posts: 297
    I actually have cut back on the amount of conditioner I normally use, mostly because I've stopped rinsing it out at all. On normal days I get my hair wet, scrunch in a handful of conditioner (still a handful...I don't skimp) and squeeze out all the extra water.

Rinse and repeat. Literally.

And every week or so I try to co-wash...but...I'm lazy so it's two or three weeks more often than not. :)
    Proudly CG since 8/10/06 - the story of my hair!
    Type: 3a/b, very thick
    Length: almost BSL wet
    Products: Suave coconut conditioner, coconut oil, Totally Twisted gel

Don't forget to be awesome!
  • MagooMagoo Registered Users Posts: 2,173 Curl Neophyte
    I was wondering the same thing. I just recently pulled out my Curly Girl book again and Lorraine says to use a quarter size dollop of condish for co-washing and I thought I was doing something wrong. My hair needs a lot more than that for me to get all the tangles out without ripping it to shreds. Usually SEVERAL quarter size dollops! :)
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    my hair is 4 a/b and i use lots of conditioner...i have to or i can't manipulate it in my hair. i use less for deep conditioning and much less for leave in...i've found that runny type conditioners work best for co-washing. i love v05 tea for cowashing!!!!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • Aries_jbAries_jb Registered Users Posts: 1,556
    The only products I use sparingly in quarter-sized amounts are my leave-in and gel. That's mostly because my leave-in is expensive (for me, anyway) and I don't need much gel. To co-wash I use about two palmfuls and to condition about two quarter-sized amounts.
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file