better to CO-wash or shampoo with no sulfates???

So I can't figure out which is better: to co-wash every once & a while, or to shampoo with a sulfate free 'poo. I'm just struggling with which I should do... I'm pretty new to the CG routine and I have pretty dry, damaged hair. But for some reason, I much prefer to shampoo every day... I think it's an extension of my PRODUCT JUNKIE!!! It's sad... but true! I just like to use lots of stuff, haha. Anyways, which do you recommend and why? THANKS!

Comments

• mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    If you want to shampoo every day, do it. Nothing wrong with that. You could also try alternating days. For example, shampoo one day and the next day, CO wash and then shampoo, CO wash, etc to see if you would even like CO washing. If you do, cut back on the shampooing and increase your CO washing.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    If your hair is dry, I'd recommend co-washing. The CG method is like rehab for damaged hair. You could slowly transition to shampooing less by alternating days, then co-washing twice for every time you shampoo, etc. If you're co-washing instead of shampooing, you're still using the same amount of "stuff" and the same steps. Conditioner is just less drying on the hair than shampoo.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    If you're hair is dry I definitely wouldn't recommend shampooing every day. Give co-washing a try to see how it works for you. Take some time to experiment to see which is better for your hair.

BTW, your hair is so pretty!
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    If you prefer to shampoo every day try a nopoo like Devacurl. If you condition wash every day your hair will be quite clean. I like to co-wash every 2-3 days, then I'll do a gentle shampoo once in a while when I feel my hair needs it. I'm definitely using products that can wash off quite easily.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • fluffywonderdoodlefluffywonderdoodle Registered Users Posts: 316
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll start co-washing... I tryed it for about a week a while ago and then got some Jessicurl stuff and am just using up the rest of the bottle. My hair is pretty dry, I used to just shampoo and condish with the bad stuff, and straighten at least a couple times a week. :shock: So hopefully this will help!
  • Aries_jbAries_jb Registered Users Posts: 1,556
    Oh, I understand where you're coming from. When I first when CG, it didn't feel "right" to only CO wash. I ended up ordering natural shampoo bars online so I could have that lather and shampoo experience without feeling like I was damaging my hair. Now my hair is in great shape and I alternate using the bars and COing. Bottom line: do what you feel comfortable with and ultimately what works for your hair.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file