Poo-less and Manic Panic?

went2redwent2red Registered Users Posts: 17
Alright, I have a question. I dye my dirty blonde hair red, and the color is constantly fading out. On yahoo answers, someone suggested mixing a little bit of Manic Panic into the conditioner, so it touches up the color with every wash. (In case you're confused, Manic Panic is a semi-permanant, vegetable based dye.)
Here's where the problem arises : I use the CG wash for Botticelli curls, which entails rinsing out some, but not ALL conditioner. If I put the Panic into my conditioner, and stay with my routine otherwise, will it destroy my hair? I'm not planning on pouring the whole bottle in, just a little bit. I'm sick of re-dying every 6 weeks to keep the red in. I've tried Radiant Red, Pantene Color Conditioner for Reds, Loreal for color treated hair, and am currently using Tresemme for Browns/Reds. I figure if I can get a quick touch-up every shower, my life will be easier. Sorry for the length, and thanks for reading!!

Comments

• witchcurlgirlwitchcurlgirl Registered Users Posts: 55
    went2red wrote:
    Alright, I have a question. I dye my dirty blonde hair red, and the color is constantly fading out. On yahoo answers, someone suggested mixing a little bit of Manic Panic into the conditioner, so it touches up the color with every wash. (In case you're confused, Manic Panic is a semi-permanant, vegetable based dye.)
    Here's where the problem arises : I use the CG wash for Botticelli curls, which entails rinsing out some, but not ALL conditioner. If I put the Panic into my conditioner, and stay with my routine otherwise, will it destroy my hair? I'm not planning on pouring the whole bottle in, just a little bit. I'm sick of re-dying every 6 weeks to keep the red in. I've tried Radiant Red, Pantene Color Conditioner for Reds, Loreal for color treated hair, and am currently using Tresemme for Browns/Reds. I figure if I can get a quick touch-up every shower, my life will be easier. Sorry for the length, and thanks for reading!!

Haircolor isn't really meant to last more than 6 weeks...especially a non peroxide color like manic panic.

If your tired of coloring every 6 weeks, then you should try to find something closer to your natural color

I dont think adding manic color to your conditioner will harm your hair though. Manic is a direct, non oxidative dye. It should be ok.
    Bra strap length 3b coppery w/gold highlights.
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know if it would hurt your hair leaving it in, so I'd rather play it safe. Could you rinse out all your co in the shower and then reapply some of the same conditioner w/o the Manic Panic mixed in?
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    Bailey422 wrote:
    I don't know if it would hurt your hair leaving it in, so I'd rather play it safe. Could you rinse out all your co in the shower and then reapply some of the same conditioner w/o the Manic Panic mixed in?

That's what I was thinking. Someone here also recommended using Natural Instincts to refresh color. I think she said she uses it about a month after dyeing, and leaves it in for about five minutes.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    went 2 red:

Are you using a bright manic panic color......like pillarbox red or vampire red?
  • went2redwent2red Registered Users Posts: 17
    I dye my hair using permanent dye purchased from my pharmacy. The reason I would be putting the MP into my conditioner would be to help keep the red tones into my hair, as they fade out quickly. I was thinking of getting Infra Red or Vampire Red, since they seemed to be a little darker and not as bright.
    went2red wrote:
    I dye my hair using permanent dye purchased from my pharmacy. The reason I would be putting the MP into my conditioner would be to help keep the red tones into my hair, as they fade out quickly. I was thinking of getting Infra Red or Vampire Red, since they seemed to be a little darker and not as bright.

The manic panic colors are not very natural.......more like statement colors.....you would really be adding RED, and not copper or strawberry or auburn

If you color your hair a red that occurs in natural hair color you may want to stay away from the manic panic colors....

I had a pillarbox red disaster when i was a teenager.....my hair was fuschia, and my mom had to take me to the salon the next day to correct it :oops:
    Well, I figured that if I only add a little to the conditioner, it won't be like FIRETRUCK, but will help keep the red in my hair...I wouldn't put alot. (On the website, they say to mix two tablespoons into the bottle to keep the color bright, so I was thinking 1/2 tbsp.)
    Maybe I'll use a conditioner with the MP, and then another one to leave into my hair - and then it will keep it red, but not change the color entirely.
    If it makes a difference, this is the color right after I dye it...and then it washes out quickly.
    (I also wouldn't mind if there were more red in it, but I would think since I'm not bleaching my hair first, or using MP directly on my hair, it wouldn't be so statement-ish)
    l_fbdeafa8969f8ac92dc2354158ab4209.jpg
    the color is gorgeous!!!!!
    Thanks. :)
    Do you think I should put the MP in, then?
    I guess if it changes my hair, I'll stop using it and go back to regular conditioner...
    U can try it. Just add a little bit and see what happens.

Be careful of the color staining though (your hands)
    Ok, thanks. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file