calling curlilocks!

mus3mus3 Registered Users Posts: 34
I think I am finally ready to color! I have had these 2 boxes of RC color for 2 years, do you think they will still work okay? I just did a strand test and it turned out too light. It was ash brown. My hair color is black. I did the test on just gray hair and used heat for about 10 minutes. I left the color on for 45 minutes. Do you think the color is just too light or should I use more heat? I noticed that the hair did not stay wet with the product, should it stay wet the whole time or is it okay to dry? Also, if you could discribe to me how you part your hair to color, I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Comments

• mus3mus3 Registered Users Posts: 34
    Just to clarify, the strand test turned out lighter than the ash brown swatch in the brochure. Much lighter, just tinted. I guess that means I have resistent gray :x My hair is extremely coarse in texture. Just thought this info would help. Thanks.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Hey there! You were just mus before, right? I got confused when I saw the May 07 joined date.

It sounds like you will need more time, maybe 50-60 minutes with at least 30 or more of that with heat. Just remove the heat about 10 min before rinsing so the hair can cool down and the cuticles can close more. Yes, the hair should stay wet the whole time. I have that problem too, that my hair seems to suck up the color and then dry. Not good results. Hopefully when you do the whole head and use a plastic cap, the hair will stay wetter.

As far as parting, I just use the tip of the bottle to part the hair in lines about 1/2" apart on the scalp. Apply the color, spread with a gloved finger tip, part and continue.

If you have more gray at the roots that you need to cover first, you might use a whole box to be sure the hair gets very wet. Then use the 2nd box for the rest of the hair to blend. If you have a lot of gray and uncolored hair, then you may want to apply to the rest earlier on.

Have you been coloring your hair all this time, or is it virgin?
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Hey! Thanks for replying so fast! I have not been coloring this whole time, I've been a big chicken! It's just to the point now that all the gray is really starting to bother me. My husband still says he doesn't see it and I say what?! Anyway, I emailed Karin too and she said I should mix black with ash brown and reduce the water by a half oz. With no heat. I didin't get the no heat but okay. I'll try it with and without with my strand tests. Now I have to order a couple boxes of black. I have at least two boxes of ash brown. My plan is to color sometime between now and the first week of July because of a family reunion coming up. I will let you know my results.

Yes, I did used to be Mus. I forgot my passoword twice and had to redo my profile so I just added the number on the end. Thanks!
    Are you getting Jet Black or Natural Black to mix? Be careful, I hear they go dark. Maybe the Natural would mix better with the Ash Brown? Karin probably says no heat so it doesn't get too dark. I would strand test both ways and see which works better. If you wrap the strand in plastic wrap, you can then hit it with a blowdryer a few times to heat it up for testing.

Is your natural color actually black or very very dark brown? Just curious. Sis's hair was black as a young girl, then turned to very very dark brown most of her life. But she has black brows. I had very dark brown hair that went to dark brown (now medium), and have always had almost-black brows. I'd love to see your hair, any pictures to share? :D

I have a family reunion on June 23. I'm coloring next Monday. :)
    When I did the strand tests yesterday I did wrap them with plastic wrap and did the heat and it only tinted the gray hairs.

Yes, my hair is a true black and I have black brows. I do have a picture but it is on fotki or yahoo, I can't remember. I had it on my last profile but since I redid my profile it isn't on this one. I will have to figure it all out again!
    If the hair dried though, that affects the color, or lack of it. Hopefully, when you do the whole thing it will stay wet and tae better.

I clicked on your fotki but I need a password.
    The password is curls. I am so nervous about coloring. Mainly about it working on my hair. It is soooooo coarse! Isn't coarse hair harder to color? I hope it works, I hate gray!

I'm going to order the black today. I'll probably color before or on the 30th.
    mus3 wrote:
    The password is curls. I am so nervous about coloring. Mainly about it working on my hair. It is soooooo coarse! Isn't coarse hair harder to color? I hope it works, I hate gray!

I'm going to order the black today. I'll probably color before or on the 30th.
    My gray is pretty coarse and resistant, but the Color works. Don't be too nervous about coloring, it is gentle so it won't ruin your hair, and you don't have to worry about it getting too dark with natural black hair, so go for it!

Another tip I just thought of:
    Mix only half the color (or mix of colors) at a time, apply to hair. Then after 15 minutes, mix the second half and reapply to the same hair. Then apply the heat. This will give it a double shot of the most active part of the color (first 15 min or so). Therefore, a double dose of color. This should help penetrate those grays!

So if the new strand test still doesn't cover well enough, try the doubling tip. LMK how the new strand tests go when you get the black. :)
    Curlilocks, which shampoo do you use right before you color?
    I use RC's shampoo for hard water, since I have hard water. I feel it will clarify better than the Color-treated formula (which has just a touch of -cones, don't want residue that might keep color from grabbing). Remember, shampoo the day before if possible, don't use ANY conditioner or styler--bare clean hair is best. You can use conditioners and stylers after coloring, but don't use anything heavy in oils or glycerin.
    I've been using the Robert Craig conditioner for a few weeks and it does seem to work pretty well especially with tangles. It comes with the color and it has glycerin. I assume it is still okay to use? How do you know if a product has too much glycerin? It is the fourth ingredient in the conditioner so I guess anything above that would be bad? Hope I make sense! What about after you color, do you shampoo with the same RC shampoo? Is it okay not to shampoo and just condition after? Thanks for your help. I should be an expert after all this!
    Did you get conditioner with your color? :? Usually it comes with the shampoo for color-treated hair (not conditioner), which is what I use afterwards. I have just rinsed and conditioned before though. The shampoo just helps get the excess off your scalp, etc, but I don't think you *have* to shampoo. Just try not to use too much conditioner, just rinse out the color then condition and rinse. I wouldn't scrub too much with conditioner either. I do *love* RC's Conditioner! :D It totally gives you that CG seaweed feel, detangles and conditions so well. I guess that's why it's one of the top ones on laurabeth's Conditioner Chronicles. :)

As far as the glycerin, that's only what I've heard. I have never noticed color loss and I use RC's conditioner and CHS CK, both of which have glycerin. I just caution it because other's have had problems (but maybe it's just the reds?). :?
    Oh!!!!!!! I thought it was conditioner! :lol: I was using it like conditioner! I bought the conditioner because I liked the shampoo, that I thought was conditioner! I like both and didn't know it. So funny.
    mus3 wrote:
    Oh!!!!!!! I thought it was conditioner! :lol: I was using it like conditioner! I bought the conditioner because I liked the shampoo, that I thought was conditioner! I like both and didn't know it. So funny.
    LOL :lol: Hey, whatever works! It is actually a conditioning shampoo that helps lock in hair color, so not much difference.
    Does the shampoo for hard water really work? Do you see a difference when you don't use it as opposed to when you do? I think they have changed our water source here and now I am having fuzzy pieces mixed in with my curls. The only way I can control them is with a curling iron. The only other time my hair did this is when I lived in San Antonio (but my hair was worse) where the water is extremely hard. I tested the water here and it is just moderately hard. An ACV rinse didn't help either. I've just had this problem for a few months. My products have not changed except that now I use the RC conditioner that seems to help a little. Anyway, just thought I'd ask. Thanks!
    I switch off between the shampoo for color-treated hair and the shampoo for hard water. I might start just using the hard water though. I think my sis uses it exclusively. I never realy paid attention to the difference, sorry. But the hard water shampoo keeps your hair from getting a buildup from the hard minerals. I don't know that it exactly clarifies, but rather it prevents the buildup.

I think someone has the RC sample kit up on the swap board (or you can order one). It might be a good way to try it out.
    Hey curlilocks! Just a couple of questions. I hope they aren't too stupid. I was reading the instructions for RC and it only says to add the whole bottle of color to the water. Will there be enough color in the bottle for coloring after doing the strand test? I'm sure they took that into consideration but I had to ask. When you mix two colors together how do you measure them out? Half a bottle? Also, when you apply it to your hair in the back, how do you get all the layers and see what you are doing? Does someone help you or do you just lather it on like shampoo one layer at a time? Sorry for all the questions! Will be coloring on saturday! Thanks.
    Did you get the new box of color? If so, read the new directions. They state to use 2.5 oz water if you did the strand test. It also has a chart on the bottom to mix colors. 1/2 and 1/2 would be 3/4 tsp of each color, with 3 oz water.

You can measure the powder over a piece of foil, then fold the foil like a funnel to pour into the bottle of water. I usually have help coloring, but mostly the roots only. When I do the rest, I do lather it on like shampoo. Just section it off as you squeeze on the color, and lather to distribute. If you have a SO that can help you, it's much easier. :) It can get messy applying all over that way, so cover everything or apply in the shower or tub.

Have you strand tested with the black yet?
    Hey. Yeah, I noticed the chart after I posted. I guess I was just reading too fast. Thanks for the tips. I plan to do the strand test today. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Well I did the strand test and the hair took okay but not completely. It's hard to explain. When I hold it up to the light, it looks steel gray with a bluish tint. When I hold it in the palm of my hand it looks like a nice dark brown/black. I hold it to my hair and it looks dark gray/black. The bluish tint is weird. I wasn't expecting that. I did 1/8 of nat. black and 1/8 of ash brown. I left it on for 45 min. with 5 min. of heat. What do you think. I don't want to have a blue tint. I know some people with really black hair look blue black in the light sometimes but I did not expect my hair color to look like that. My husband used to tell me he didn't want me to color because he didn't want me to have blue hair and I laughed at him. Now I am starting to think he is right. :cry: Let me know what you think. Thanks.
    How thick is the strand? Does it look blue against your head of hair? You can't really go by holding it to the light if it's a thinner strand, the light will shine thru it, unlike on your head. Maybe try laying on top of your hair and shining a light on it. ??

You could try a ratio of 1/3 black to 2/3 brown, leave it on 50 min with at least 15-20 min of that with heat. If it's not getting too dark with the half/half then don't be afraid to leave it on longer with more heat time. Especially if you go to less black. It sounds like you need more heat anyway, if the gray isn't covering well. I use 30 min of heat or so, total time of 50-60 min.
    Hey. To answer your question. The strands are medium to thick/coarse. It doesn't really look blue against my hair but I can see that the more gray I get the bluer it will look if I stay with this combo which I think I need to rethink the way I am putting the colors together. Karin says to put more ash brown than black which is sort of what you said but she has different percents, I forget... I'll have to read her email again. She says not to add heat because it can give a bad result. I don't think the color will take to my gray at all if I don't use heat. She also says to not let it dry, that it has to stay wet. I am kind of confused now. Heat, no heat. I will try again tomorrow. I was hoping to color on saturday morning but if I can't get this right or it doesn't work on my hair, I don't know what I'm going to do. :cry: What about dark brown and black?
    Sorry, I wasn't clear, but I meant: how thick is the test strand? Like 1/4" worth of hair or so? As far as individual strands, that kind of matters too, but not as much.

Yes, you need to keep the hair wet, so cover with a plastic cap or plastic wrap. If you cover the hair, you may not need heat as your scalp with keep the hair warm enough.

As far as color, if you really need to color before the reunion and don't have time to order more color, play around with the ratios and use what you have this time. Then we can see how it comes out and rethink the color(s) afterwards.
    I did the strand test on 6 gray hairs that I plucked out. I taped them together to do the test. Is this okay? My reunion was canceled so I think I am going to take this next week to experiment a little more. I might do another one today if I have time. Anyway, I was using a blow dryer on the strands for about 3 minutes. Maybe it was too consentrated/hot? What do you think? Thanks for all your help.
    mus3 wrote:
    I did the strand test on 6 gray hairs that I plucked out. I taped them together to do the test. Is this okay? My reunion was canceled so I think I am going to take this next week to experiment a little more. I might do another one today if I have time. Anyway, I was using a blow dryer on the strands for about 3 minutes. Maybe it was too consentrated/hot? What do you think? Thanks for all your help.
    Just a few tips:

1. It's easier if you select a 1/4 - 1/2" strand of hair on the back or underside of your head, just clip it at the roots, no need to cut off. 6 hairs in not enough to see good color. Include some gray and some non-grays for best results.

2. That was probably too much heat for those strands. Just wrap in plastic and just blast once to warm it up.

Sorry the reunion was cancelled (rescheduled, I hope). But now you have time to experiment more. :D

Try a mix with more brown than black, use a good- sized strand, and have fun! :)[/u]
    Well I am going to color tonight! I can't believe the time has really come. I did the 1/8 nat. black and 1/8 ash brown strand test on my head this time and it covered pretty well. I did not notice any blue tint. I only warmed it up a little like you suggested. My husband is going to help me. Right now my hair looks sooooo bad! I can't stand it without product in it, major yuck! I put a bandana over it just so I don't have to look at it. I'll probably do the color at around 7pm or so. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your help!
    Well, I am sitting here with color on my head. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be! My hair is just so wild and frizzy and hard to control. When I was putting it on the first layer of hair just above my forehead, it would keep falling and getting color on my face. It took a good 30 minutes to apply. How do you get the color off your skin? I am looking forward to rinsing and putting my product in. I'll let you know how it goes.
    I have rinsed and have product in. There are a lot of grays that did not get covered on top toward the crown and my right temple area. I can tell that it did well everywhere else and it looks a tad bit darker which is hard since I have really black hair. Maybe just because the gray is covered. I did not use heat at all. I think a little heat on the top may help with those grays. I'm not surprised they are not completely covered. Anyway, just thought I would share. When it dries I will give another update.
    Hi, sorry I was off all day yesterday. So how did it come out when dry? It will look darker wet, and it may look darker if you had a lot of gray and now it's covered too. So you used a half and half mix? Sounds good. If you have color left (more boxes) you could mix up just a little like a strand test and apply to those grays that didn't cover. Maybe next time you need to wash or something. It's safe.

LMK how it looks now. New pics? :)
    Hey! It looks really good. It is so conditioned and hardly any frizz! I wasn't expecting to have a good hair day after coloring! It's still my natural color except a little darker but I think that it is just because I'm so used to the gray mixed in. I was thinking about reapplying to only that area in a few days. Yeah, I went ahead and did the half and half since the strand test on my head looked good. I didn't want to mess with another experiment because I really needed to do it this weekend since the reunion just got moved to another location and is not canceled after all! Anyway........

So should I just use the shampoo that comes with the color or can I use the Hard Water shampoo? I've been using the Hard Water and the conditioner and have had great hair days since. Now I am just concerned with keeping the color from fading out. After all that work to get it done! It was not too easy but hopefully it will get easier each time. Thanks for all your help you have really been great. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file