honey/coconut milk in flaxseed gel?

AnnikaAnnika Registered Users Posts: 123
Has anyone tried this?

I bought a gel last week but it isn't working for me as it contains alcohols and seems to dry out my hair, which I really don't need. I'm trying to save money so I thought I should try making my own gel - been reading a lot about homemade flaxseed gel which sounds very appealing.

I've tried honey rinses a couple of times and really like what it does to my hair (unless I use too much honey, that is! :shock: ) but as I'm a fan of simple haircare with as few steps as possible, I came up with the idea of adding a tablespoon or so of honey to the flaxseed gel.

Another idea was to add coconut milk to it, kind of making a leave-in and gel 2-in-1.

Perhaps BOTH coconut milk and a dash of honey? What do you think?
2c-3a/m/ii (FIA), CG since June 1st, 2007!
Love Jessicurl and KCCC might be my HG.

Comments

• AnnikaAnnika Registered Users Posts: 123
    Ok, I have just prepared three gels:

1) 2 tbsp flaxseed, 1 cup water
    (keeping it pure for reference)

2) 2 tbsp flaxseed, 1 cup water, 1 tbsp honey

3) 2 tbsp flaxseed, 1 cup water, 1 orange cut in chunks (combining flaxseed gel with a recipe for homemade hair spray I found online)

I'll let you know how they turn out.

Allrightythen, here's the verdict:

The gel with orange definitely has more hold than the others. It also has a nice yellow color instead of that boring beige-clear hue of the natural flaxseed gel. The scent is - well, boiled orange, and I'm not crazy about that, but I think next time I'll try adding a cinnamon stick which is easily removed (and reused, if you're so inclined) to make a nice cinnamon-orange gel.

• xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried all 3 recipes yet?? Any thoughts about adding aloe in?
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    The gel with honey turned out to be very runny so I never used it. I also read another thread where someone was warned about adding honey to conditioner in the bottle because there's a risk of the honey fermenting - don't know if that changes if the honey is part of the original ingredients, or if it changes when cooked... if anyone has any light to shed on this I'd be most grateful!

I used the gel with orange yesterday and the "natural" flaxseed gel today and noticed a quite big difference in hold and frizz.

Adding AVG sounds like a good idea, I don't know what it would do for the hold but it is very moisturizing which is good.

This is fun! :D

• xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • mafaldamafalda Registered Users Posts: 510
    Annika wrote:
    Ok, I have just prepared three gels:

1) 2 tbsp flaxseed, 1 cup water
    (keeping it pure for reference)

2) 2 tbsp flaxseed, 1 cup water, 1 tbsp honey

3) 2 tbsp flaxseed, 1 cup water, 1 orange cut in chunks (combining flaxseed gel with a recipe for homemade hair spray I found online)

I'll let you know how they turn out.

For the orange one, did you use the cut up pieces of the rind or the juice or an the actual orange chunk?
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
    I took a whole orange, cut it in half and then in half again so that I got four chunks with the rind still on them, and put that in the pan.

• legette68legette68 Registered Users Posts: 216
    I added a few drops of honey to the flaxseed gel in the palm of my hand right before applying it to my hair. It gave great hold. Loved it.
    Thick, coarse 3C hair:coffee:
    BC Feb 2009/ relaxer free since 06/08
    Second time around!

http://public.fotki.com/legette68
  • MagooMagoo Registered Users Posts: 2,173 Curl Neophyte
    I'd be afraid to add coconut milk for fear of it going bad but I've added aloe to mine and really like it. I also add a couple of drops of lavender oil for a nice scent. I want to try adding a few drops of glycerin to my next batch to see how that turns out.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file