Hello, I'm new, one month CG

RozettaStoneRozettaStone Registered Users Posts: 697 Curl Novice
And of course, I want to ask you to help type my hair. I took some photos this week and I started a Fotki today. I'd love to know what you think. It already looks a lot different than it did a month ago.

I introduced myself in the Welcome forum, but in case you want to know about me, I hope it's OK to repeat myself some here.

I've been lurking and reading this site (a lot!) for about a month. I've learned SO much already from many of you and I'm so envious of all the beautiful waves & curls.

In May, I read the Curly Girl book and started doing CG, and then I found this site. I'm thrilled to see the difference in my hair already. I never knew knew I had wavy hair. I just thought I had "bad" straight hair since I got into my 20s (a loooong time ago). My hair was quite straight when I was young. When I read the part in the CG book where she says, you always thought you had straight hair, your hair always looks messy, etc., suddenly I realized what was "wrong" with my hair!

After just one day of CO-washing and no brushing or combing, I saw that I had way more waves than I'd ever seen. Just a month later, I'm seeing a lot more waves and even some spirals, I think! It's getting better all the time as I learn more about how to care for it & how to treat it. I am struggling with figuring out a routine and of course, with Frizz.

Thanks for your feedback & from all I've learned from you already. I'm so pleased to find out that I'm wavy after all these years -- I feel like my hair finally looks like "me"! And I got several compliments this week on it, too. :)
2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
Seal with camellia oil
Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
Homemade food-based DTs
RC color

Comments

• RozettaStoneRozettaStone Registered Users Posts: 697 Curl Novice
    I thought I put it in the signature on my profile set-up. ??

http://public.fotki.com/RozettaStone/

PW: wavy
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
    Sorry for the confusion. Fotki PW is waves
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • Kasey314Kasey314 Registered Users Posts: 308
    Welcome! I'm happy to hear that your are doing well on CG. Are you following the wavy version? What products are you using?

As far as typing you, I would say that you look like a 2a. But, I have to say that your hair looks a lot like mine before I started to baby it, so maybe you have more waves in there. :D

Keep us updated!
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
    http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

• LongNLumpyLongNLumpy Registered Users Posts: 67
    I never knew knew I had wavy hair. I just thought I had "bad" straight hair...

After just one day of CO-washing and no brushing or combing, I saw that I had way more waves than I'd ever seen. Just a month later, I'm seeing a lot more waves and even some spirals...

I am struggling with figuring out a routine and of course, with Frizz.

I have the same situation! I thought I was a 2b when I first started (only about 1-2 weeks ago), but I noticed a few things that make me think it is a mix of 2b-3a - mostly that it isn't wavy/curly unless it is long enough to form the loose S shape. You look like a 2b, but it may change as you go, or just be a mix of types.
    I have always had hair that "wanted" to frizz out and could hold any style I put it in pretty well even without product, like rollers or a curling iron or blow dry straight, etc.
    But, since I have had my kids it was getting more and more frizzy and more difficult to blow it straight and keep it smooth and shiny. I thought it was just dry, but I would use a super rich conditioner and still it would get frizzy. I think I still need to clarify it more, but I posted pix of my long tresses on Fotki too, PW: waves (just like you!).
    I haven't started using a gel yet, but I am using Paul Mitchell sculpting foam on wet hair and plopping - I have to figure out how to get it dry, it takes forever to air dry! Diffusing makes my hair more frizzy I think. I was wondering if a bonnett dryer would work?
    PW: waves
    2b-3a?
    lots-o-hair
    frizz prone
    long and layered
    NEW to going wavy/curly!
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    I recently tried scrunching my hair with a microfiber towel after getting out of the shower and was amazed at how it cut my drying time. My hair is shoulder length, so shorter than yours, and I usually plop long enough to get dressed, diffuse for 15 min. then airdry for 45 min. and diffuse again to get the crunch out from the gel. Anyways, after using the microfiber towel with no plopping, the diffusing time was much shorter. I'm going to try plopping next time before diffusing. Perhaps the drying time will be shorter still!
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
    Hi, ladies, thanks for the replies. Kasey and L&L, you both have beautiful hair! (Ewenique, I'm sure you do too, but no pix posted :wink: )
    When you say you think 2A or 2B, which system are you using? On the NC system, I think I must be a 2B -- my hair isn't fine and doesn't look like the 2A girl at all. It has a lot more body/texture and of course, Frizz. But why isn't there a 2C picture??

Of the fia pix, I can't really tell which are most like my hair. I guess typing isn't very precise and I think I have a variety of textures. And lately, it looks different almost every day as I keep playing with new products & techniques. It's fun, if frustrating at times.

Kasey, to answer your questions, I'm not following the CG wavy method. I just stopped with the shampoos and am doing only CO washing. It really agrees with my scalp and I'm not having any problems with it so far. I guess I could try some CG poo, but for now am OK with CO. My hair is so much softer since I stopped shampooing and my scalp is healthy and flake/itch-free for the first time in memory. Yay!

As for products, I've been trying just about everything. Let's just say that ever since I joined this site, I can't pass a Walgreens or Rite-Aid etc. without making a trip to the hair aisle! So far, I can't really say what's working because there are too many variables in flux. But I've definitely had my very best hair, with clumping, using LOOB with Tightly Wound, and I like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink] for deep conditioning. I found the BtoB Pom on sale at Big Lots, so I'm trying that now. I've also been playing with aloe vera gel, home-made flax seed gel, honey in rinses & mixed with leave-in, ACV, baking soda, epsom salt . . . you name it! And, I've tried HE SMU spray (eh), TT gel (OK), and today picked up BE and the Suave Pro HCAFC (ok, maybe I made up that acronym -- that's Healthy Curls Anti-Frizz cream).
    I think that's pretty good for only a few weeks of this! :wink: I'm most interested in trying rec:coil & [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] & joiwhip, eventually.

Long&Lumpy, my hair takes a long time to dry, too. Like Ewenique suggested, sometimes I scrunch it first (after adding product to wet hair) with a MF towel and then plop, other times I just plop, usually for at least 30 minutes. I did get a dryer with a diffuser, and it certainly speeds things up, and it really enhances my waves as well.

Happy waving!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
    2b-3a?
    lots-o-hair
    frizz prone
    long and layered
    NEW to going wavy/curly!
    Long&Lumpy,
    Those were just my first pix of me with waves, after starting CG. I haven't had my cut yet! I'm going on Friday, yay! I'm seeing someone who trained with Lorraine & has specialized in curly/wavy for ages. I'm really excited about it. I've had the same basic cut for many years and I like it a lot, but my stylist cuts wet, brushes & smooths & blow dries and uses silicone stuff to get my hair to lie flat. For years I've said, don't bother drying me, I never do that at home, I can't make it look like that, and my hair looks best four days after shampooing! See, I was on the right track for years, but I didn't have the basic knowledge I needed. Oh well! I'm hoping my new cut will bring out as much wave/curl as possible and that it'll be a little bouncier. Praying!

I just realized that the green Suave cream I bought today isn't CG. Darn! I saw a lot of raves for it here on NC -- I keep forgetting that a lot of people are using regular shampoos. Anyone want a tube of Suave Pro HCAFC ? :) :
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
    Can't wait to see pix of your cut, how fun!
    You will have to tell us how it is different to get a curly cut.

I love my hairdresser too, but she does the same thing - blow dry and silicones etc. I haven't had a cut in way too long, so I haven't seen her while I have been trying to stay wavy.

She always uses a razor, a no-no in the CG book. But, I don't get split ends really, so I am not sure that my hair is curly enough for that to be a problem. Maybe you can find out why that is a no-no when you get your cut on Friday. :)
    2b-3a?
    lots-o-hair
    frizz prone
    long and layered
    NEW to going wavy/curly!
  • AnnikaAnnika Registered Users Posts: 123
    LongNLumpy wrote:
    She always uses a razor, a no-no in the CG book. But, I don't get split ends really, so I am not sure that my hair is curly enough for that to be a problem. Maybe you can find out why that is a no-no when you get your cut on Friday. :)
    On many curly hairs, and especially on wavy hairs, you actually can use a razor - but you can't use it the same way you would on a straight hair, it's a different technique. It's easier to get it right with scissors though, much more fool proof! :)
    2c-3a/m/ii (FIA), CG since June 1st, 2007!
    Love Jessicurl and KCCC might be my HG.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file