Poll: Lift-&-Clip

If you're not familiar, I'm talking about the little flat clips she says to use while you are air-drying your hair. (In the CG book.) I guess I'm just really curious who actually does this and does it work well for you? :D
Mid-back length 3a, red.
Currently using: Joico, Redken, LA Looks Curl Look gel, BRHG.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    I've recently started doing this, and I can say it does help my flat top quite a bit! :)
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • happy-girlhappy-girl Posts: 208Registered Users
    How do you keep it from leaving a wierd crease in your hair?
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
  • mitabirdmitabird Posts: 226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    happy-girl wrote:

When I take my clips out, I make sure my hair is totally dry. Then I turn my head upside down & *gently* fluff the hair at my roots (sometimes, it's crunchy from the gel). When I am done with that, I flip right side up & there are no creases. I hope that makes sense & helped a little. :D
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
    mitabird wrote:
    happy-girl wrote:

When I take my clips out, I make sure my hair is totally dry. Then I turn my head upside down & *gently* fluff the hair at my roots (sometimes, it's crunchy from the gel). When I am done with that, I flip right side up & there are no creases. I hope that makes sense & helped a little. :D

Yeah, what she said! :wink:
  • TesseljoanTesseljoan Posts: 2Registered Users
    My hair takes about 4 hours to air dry completely. How do you get to dry your hair so fast?
    3A/B, eagerly awaiting Masseys book to start CG routine
  • mitabirdmitabird Posts: 226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Tesseljoan wrote:
    My hair takes about 4 hours to air dry completely. How do you get to dry your hair so fast?

HeHe...I do use a diffuser to help my hair along.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • PianoWirePianoWire Posts: 24Registered Users
    I've been doing it since Ana at Devachan showed me how. It's easy and really improves on the "Christmas tree" effect I had all through high school. It keeps all the weight from being at the bottom, and my curls have bounce to them instead of all locking together. The only disadvantage is that I can't leave the house with wet hair...the days of housewives with scarves over their curlers is mostly over! Especially if you are not a housewife. *sigh*
    2c...turned 3a since starting CG!
    Devacurl, Jessicurl, and Creme of Nature
    CG since 10/15/03
  • curleighgirlcurleighgirl Posts: 2Registered Users
    :D I have not tried this method, but only with non air drying, meaning I only did it with the blowdryer. I just began to not use shampoo. How do those of you who are no-pooers find this works? It makes sense and is really cost effective, but I'd like some feedback on it. I think the clippy method works really well with a blow dryer, but I just don't have time to do it when I'm getting ready for work in the morn! :(
    Curleighgirl--3C-birracial hair
    Whatever you dream you can, begin it! Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!-Goethe

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without a loss of enthusiasm.
    -Winston Churchill
    I don't know why I can't make this work for me. I think maybe my hair is too heavy because the clips end up flopping over till they're almost flat against my scalp anyway and then I have wierd creases. My hair isn't that long though. It looks about like Yanai's hair in the pop-up ad. (his hair, not the model's) :lol:
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
  • ivmeerivmeer Posts: 10Registered Users
    It made my hair look square on top.
  • RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to clip using duckbill clips and it worked but my hair would get terribly tangled up when I tried to get the clips out and I stopped. Last weekend, I got some huge pincer clips from Sally's and started clipping my roots up again. It is awesome! I don't get tangled up and my hair dries so much faster. I can go from dripping wet to almost dry in two hours this way. Then I can diffuse for a minute or two if I need to so I don't go out with damp hair in the cold (not that it's cold yet). I also use a microfiber towel, which I swear by for cutting down dry time.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
    Rain, what do the pincer clips look like? I was combining the duckbills with some other plastic clips, but the plastic ones had teeth that liked to tangle in my hair, but then again, my hair still partly gets caught in the squeeze part of the duckbill ones. :( I still use them anyway though.
  • RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lushaholic, we might be talking about the same thing. Mine do have teeth but I like that because it keeps them in one spot. When clips slip, that hurts. I have to to make sure they're open wide before sliding them out but that's not hard. Whenever I link to Sally's items, the link breaks later but if you go to sallybeauty.com and search for Salon Care Pinces Clips, they should show up.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
    I just looked them up, and that's not the kind I was thinking of,but I did see those in the store! I had some that are a little bit bulky, and the handle is on top, but I was really looking for the kind like Lorraine shows in the CG book. A young girl with blonde hair has one clipped at her roots. I was wondering if those have teeth too, but I haven't found them yet. I did find some that at least looked like them yesterday, but they had teeth, and since they were wider, I bought them anyway. Will try them tomorrow to see how they do. I may have to go back and get the pincer ones!
    I have been using the clips like the ones in the book and I've tried the big duck-billed ones. I think half of my problem is that neither has teeth and they just move all over the place. Next thing I know, they're laying down on the job and I've got these *!%# creases with no lift. Argh! :x
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
    happy-girl, I really like the last clips I bought at Sally's! They have teeth and are a bit wider so they cover more area, I'll look up what they are called and post it here after I find out.
  • sylviasylvia Posts: 41Registered Users
    finally, I am back, my computer had a virus, took forever to fix.

i use the regular bobbypins to clip my top, this way I can leave them in when I leave the house , they don't move and the " creases" look like part of the curls.
    "blessed" with all kinds of curls,2b in the front, mostly 3a and 3b , 3c in the nape of the neck
    :) ( A mutt?)
    currently using natures gate conditioner and herbal essences mousse and gel.
    On the CG regime since Jan 2004

password: konstanze
    Lushaholic, did you try the same kind that Rain was talking about? (The colorful Sally's ones?) Those look pretty good. I think having clips that actually grip my hair could make a big difference. Here's hoping! :P
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
  • wildredcurlswildredcurls Posts: 6Registered Users
    I use tiny claw clips to clip my curls up every day.

Here are some helpful clipping ideas (with photos).
  • enimsay14enimsay14 Posts: 3Registered Users
    I use the lift-and-clip method every time I wash my hair - and I swear by it. I have Botticelli curls and I love my hair BIG so, clipping up my hair right when my hair's damp until I wake up the next morning lets me make my hair big :D. I use about 3 - 5 claw clips usually.
    3a-b dark brown Botticelli
    No poo since July '04.
  • enimsay14enimsay14 Posts: 3Registered Users
    I use the lift-and-clip method every time I wash my hair - and I swear by it. I have Botticelli curls and I love my hair BIG so, clipping up my hair right when my hair's damp until I wake up the next morning lets me make my hair big :D. I use about 3 - 5 claw clips usually.
    3a-b dark brown Botticelli
    No poo since July '04.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file