Half.com/Ebay diliemma

Kierra LockeKierra Locke Registered Users Posts: 45
I order from Half.com a lot and never had to leave negative feedback before and today I might have to leave two. One, I'm sure of but the other I'm ambivalent about.

The book (a textbook) was supposed to have been shipped on the 23rd of August but the seller contacted me and asked if it would be okay if she sent it on the 25th instead. I said it was okay but today I finally received it to find that it was shipped on the 31th. I had contacted her on Friday to get an update and she never told me it went out a week later than it was supposed to. I needed this textbook (the test is Monday) and am a little pissed. However, it came within the six week period that they allow for mail delivery to do its work so I don't feel I have much cause for complaint. But, she did fail to hold up her end.

The second book (again a textbook) was shipped fine but is not in the condition listed. It was described as Like New but is very heavily highlighted. Highlights give me a headache.

I would appreciate any advice about the first case. They're both relatively new sellers and I think i could be the first to give them negative feedback.
4a, natural for 5 years :mrgreen:
Poo: Still on the lookout!
CoWash: Also need a good one. Recently restarted this.
RO Conditioner: EMB but looking for something with more detangling power
DC: CJHB
LI: EMB
Style: CJCCCC, HESMU spray gel
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• KraytKrayt Registered Users Posts: 765 Curl Neophyte
    Plain and simple, the auction/sale wasn't as listed nor were the services. That's negative feedback if I've ever seen it.

People have to be responsible and truthful. You shouldn't feel bad about being the first negative feedback. If it were me and they had done this to other people but they all felt bad about being the first negative, and then I read the feedback and don't see an indication of it and it happens to me. I'd be pretty pissed.

It doesn't matter if they are within the six week period, they broke their word and it caused you problems, enough said, leave negative feedback.

Also, on the book that was listed that is not in the listed condition, negative feedback there as well. People need to stop abusing the auction/sale system and be dead honest.

-Litos
  • WavyWendyWavyWendy Registered Users Posts: 138
    I would leave neutral feedback & just explain what happened in the feedback you give....This way - you make your point, but don't give new sellers the dreaded 'negative' feedback....

Good Luck
    :)
    Wendy
  • StarlaStarla Registered Users Posts: 31
    I agree with Wendy.

As far as the actual condition of the book:
    A lot of colleges consider textbooks that are heavily highlighted to still be "like new" if they are not dog-eared, creased or otherwise damaged.
    If highlighting is something that you have a problem with because it gives you a headache then you should remember to ask about that specifically in the future.
  • Kierra LockeKierra Locke Registered Users Posts: 45
    Actually the Half.com site has very specific qualifications for each condition and a book with highlighting is not considered Like New. I actually read up on it just to make sure I hadn't misunderstood the system. However, knowing she may be using a different system I'm not as bothered. I'll still the negative but maybe it wasn't intentional.
  • StarlaStarla Registered Users Posts: 31
    Yea, a lot of colleges don't mind the highlighting. I would definitely inform the seller of the highlightling rule because he/she probably has not read all of the guidelines.
  • MephistoMephisto Registered Users Posts: 555
    I think you have more important things to worry about.

I leave a negative when I get a sense that there was a deliberate cause to misrepresent.

In case #1 - perhaps you're dealing with someone who is a little flakey and if you needed something by a specific date and the auction clearly states to allow for 6-weeks delivery ("mail-system to do it's work" or otherwise)... you could have been more clear regardless of the promises she made you. I saw nothing where you indicated an urgent need for the text in your communication with the seller. If I am mistaken, I MIGHT reconsider, but I think you gotta let this one go.

In case #2 - perhaps you're dealing with someone who, as others have said, hadn't familiarized themselves with the "letter of the law" regarding rating the book. Again, no clear attempt to misrepresent or otherwise rip you off. I think you gotta let this one go, too. I gather you didn't communicate that highlighting "gives you a headache" up front... also on you.

I'm a HUGE advocate for leaving a negative when it's warranted... fraud, gross misrepresentation, rip-off, etc.

I'd leave a positive for each, explain to them via email the respective issues you have with how each was handled, but that you left a positive for their efforts... and learn to start asking enough questions up-front, particularly about potential issues like "highlighter headache" that no one in their right mind would even think of.

What it boils down to is this... are you a fair-minded individual or a ****? Did these people in any way appear to deliberately misrepresent or otherwise do you harm? Could you have been more clear yourself?

HTH!!!
    The good people do is interred with their bones. Their mistakes live on forever...
    Mephisto wrote:
    I think you have more important things to worry about.

I leave a negative when I get a sense that there was a deliberate cause to misrepresent.

In case #1 - perhaps you're dealing with someone who is a little flakey and if you needed something by a specific date and the auction clearly states to allow for 6-weeks delivery ("mail-system to do it's work" or otherwise)... you could have been more clear regardless of the promises she made you. I saw nothing where you indicated an urgent need for the text in your communication with the seller. If I am mistaken, I MIGHT reconsider, but I think you gotta let this one go.

In case #2 - perhaps you're dealing with someone who, as others have said, hadn't familiarized themselves with the "letter of the law" regarding rating the book. Again, no clear attempt to misrepresent or otherwise rip you off. I think you gotta let this one go, too. I gather you didn't communicate that highlighting "gives you a headache" up front... also on you.

I've decided to leave a neutral on the first and a negative on the second because the Half.com site is very clear on these matters. It's 3 days to confirm the order (or its automatically cancelled), 3 days to ship (we the consumers are told to pay attention to the ship date listed), and then 4 to 6 weeks for it to arrive. As for condition, that's listed to a detail as well. I'm been buying from this site for 3 years and I've never had anything take more than 2 weeks to arrives unless it wasn't shipped on time. And on those occasions, the sellers contacted me and told me of the delay and I gave them positive feedback. So I'm going to be a **** because they should have read up on what they were doing. The FAQ file is not that long and very easy to find.
    Well, at least you're being honest by admitting you're going to be an inflexible hard-ass over nothing.

Too bad that you can't see that you are prepared, by auction for 6-days + 6-weeks max... she was forthright enough to try to do the right thing... you got it WAY faster than the potential worst-case scenario... and you're still going to be a bzzztch. Nice.

Maybe you could do me the kind favor of PMing me your user ID so I can put you in my blocked bidder list? TIA!!! :roll:
    The good people do is interred with their bones. Their mistakes live on forever...
    Mephisto wrote:
    Well, at least you're being honest by admitting you're going to be an inflexible hard-ass over nothing.

Too bad that you can't see that you are prepared, by auction for 6-days + 6-weeks max... she was forthright enough to try to do the right thing... you got it WAY faster than the potential worst-case scenario... and you're still going to be a bzzztch. Nice.

Maybe you could do me the kind favor of PMing me your user ID so I can put you in my blocked bidder list? TIA!!! :roll:

Actually she wasn't forthright. She had the chance to tell me about the delay and she didn't. Plus I checked my receipt yesterday and it turns out that only 2 weeks is allowed for media delivery. She spent one holding on to the package. Plus it wasn't an auction. It was half.com. It's owned by Ebay and uses its feedback system but it's run differently.
    She was "forthright enough." And your point isn't the point and neither are the rules. You went into this prepared for the possibility of 6-days + 6-weeks in a "worst case scenario" and chose to make the purchase accordingly.

Clearly in the "highlighter" case, you have an opportunity to help a fellow half.com community member do things better in the future. Given the slight nuances in different ways to rate the condition of books (regardless of half.com's "FAQ") - you could choose to point out this error to the seller... arrange to return the book for a refund... and probably a few other options. Nope... you just want to leave a negative. I know it, you know it, and now everyone who wanders into this thread will know it.

It's clear that you just have a hard-on for leaving a negative, so why bother asking for a vote at all? You knew what you wanted to do before you started this thread.

Too bad you didn't get the 100% validation you were looking for. HURRY! LEAVE THE NEGATIVES!!!

Convenient how you probably overlooked the "FAQs" about the buyer return policy and encouragement to contact sellers to resolve matters prior to putting a black mark on their feedback rating. The fact that you haven't mentioned doing those things leads me to believe you are a coward as well. Too bad the buyer can't leave you a negative for reacting like a ****. 8)
  • miacurlmiacurl Registered Users Posts: 332
    Lighten up Mephisto----geez.
    2C/3A auburn hair.
    between shoulders and BSL
    I said it before already, just leave the negative, if the product and service doesn't fit the description. That's their own damn fault. Life of hard knocks. This is the internet where every single person you come across could be possibly trying to scam you, not the local store where you know everyone and their families. Next time they'll learn not to be as vague or misleading when trying to sell something online.

-Litos
    This is the internet where every single person you come across could be possibly trying to scam you, not the local store where you know everyone and their families. Next time they'll learn not to be as vague or misleading when trying to sell something online.

So... in real life, most people would go back to the store and try to resolve the issue to some mutual level of satisfaction... not firebomb the store.

Try communication.

It is a tip.
    Mephisto wrote:
    This is the internet where every single person you come across could be possibly trying to scam you, not the local store where you know everyone and their families. Next time they'll learn not to be as vague or misleading when trying to sell something online.

So... in real life, most people would go back to the store and try to resolve the issue to some mutual level of satisfaction... not firebomb the store.

Try communication.

It is a tip.

Duely noted... on that note....

I still say leave negative feedback. I do not change my stance. Mephisto is as adamant about his stance as I am about mine, "agree to disagree" as they say.

-Litos
    FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

8)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file