Pharmaceuticals & Curly Hair

firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
I've been on a few different brain drugs for a while now (amazingly finally found the right combination to make me stable and happy!), and I have this perhaps irrational fear that the drugs may be making my hair straighter.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

FWIW, I'm on a low dose of Lamictal (for the past 18 months), occasional Ativan, occasional Adderal, and just added in Wellbutrin last month. I'm hoping I can go off the meds at some point, but now's not it. Oh, also NuvaRing, which might be a contributor, since hormones sometimes change hair texture?

ETA - I notice that someone else already had a similar thread a few months ago, but I'd love to get some fresh opinions!
Lots and lots of fine 3b-ish hair.
DevaCurl currently, but exploring new products.
Love the hair!

Comments

• curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been on anti-depressants (currently coming off them) and the hair that grew while I was taking them, a years worth, is about a 3a instead of 3b. Maybe it will change back or maybe I'll have 3a hair.

I'm on the Pill as well but I don't think that changed anything with my hair because I was taking it before I started taking anti-depressants and my hair was 3b then.

It's wierd how medication can cause such a change in the texture of hair.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
    I know how shallow this sounds:

But I'mnot sure which is worse, being depressed or not having my own curls anymore!!!

Maybe I'll bring a few pics to a hairdresser soon and see what she thinks.
    Love the hair!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,423Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Doesn't sound shallow; sounds like you are proud to be a curly!

A lot of gals will experience hair changes for the first few months after starting a new drug, but find their hair goes back to "normal".

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    phew! Thanks, Gretchen!
    Love the hair!
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    I have systemic lupus and take 14 separate prescriptions (anti-depressants, allergy meds, pain meds, etc) every day.
    My hair hasn't changed texture but I do go thru some serious shedding- I live handfuls in the shower daily. I have lost a lot of hair... probably half of what I had... fortunately, I had really thick hair and the loss isn't too noticeable. According to my derm, it's just from the disease. I also get sores on my scalp which is common with lupus.

Good luck
    Nicole
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    firelily wrote:
    I've been on a few different brain drugs for a while now (amazingly finally found the right combination to make me stable and happy!), and I have this perhaps irrational fear that the drugs may be making my hair straighter.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

FWIW, I'm on a low dose of Lamictal (for the past 18 months), occasional Ativan, occasional Adderal, and just added in Wellbutrin last month. I'm hoping I can go off the meds at some point, but now's not it. Oh, also NuvaRing, which might be a contributor, since hormones sometimes change hair texture?

ETA - I notice that someone else already had a similar thread a few months ago, but I'd love to get some fresh opinions!

Me too. Congrats! :)
    After years of searching for the right combo, I'm on Lamictal (isn't that great stuff?), occasional Xanax, and occasional Adderal. Lol. I used to take Welbutrin a couple years ago and it worked well for me.
    My hair hasn't gotten straighter but I have noticed I have a few hairs that are more coarse than the rest of my hair (which is pretty fine). They're not a problem (or even noticable because they're so few) but I think it's weird.
    I wouldn't doubt the NuvaRing might change your curl pattern since hormones and hair are to closely linked sometimes (hello puberty perm lol).
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
    meriellyn wrote:
    Me too. Congrats! :)
    After years of searching for the right combo, I'm on Lamictal (isn't that great stuff?), occasional Xanax, and occasional Adderal. Lol. I used to take Welbutrin a couple years ago and it worked well for me.
    My hair hasn't gotten straighter but I have noticed I have a few hairs that are more coarse than the rest of my hair (which is pretty fine). They're not a problem (or even noticable because they're so few) but I think it's weird.
    I wouldn't doubt the NuvaRing might change your curl pattern since hormones and hair are to closely linked sometimes (hello puberty perm lol).

Lamictal was a godsend 1.5 years ago when I was breaking apart at the seams. I'm not sure what I would have done without it. My psychopharm agreed last month to see what happens if I go off it, so I've halved it down to 50mg, and have been doing fine. That's below what is supposedly a therapeutic dose, so I'm guessing I might not need it anymore! We'll see. :)

I've been on NuvaRing for years, and it's just the new growth that seems straighter, so I doubt that's it. Still, I'm considering non-hormonal BC.

It sounds like we've had very similar drug cocktails! I'm glad the Lamictal is working out so well for you too.
    Love the hair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file