8 year old will only wear ponytail

scasescase Posts: 17Registered Users
I am the mother of a beautiful 8 1/2 year old who will only wear a ponytail. She has 3b hair underneath and most of her hair around the top from the middle of the head up is probably 3c and fuzz. 2 years ago I had her hair relaxed and only touched up once. She only has about 1 inch of straight left on the ends. Mostly her hair just turned back curly as the relaxer didn't seem permanent in places. It was a Mizani relaxer done at a salon. Her hair has changed. I used to be able to let her wear some curls but now it is just per fuzz. I have used all sorts of products none of them seem to last on her hair.

I really want to know about braids. I don't have experience with them being a redhead with board straight hair. I had an African American woman tell me once to never never braid my daughter's hair. She said it will pull it out and make sores on her head. I can french braid but she has breakage from wearing it all these years in 1 ponytail that it never stays put. I have often pulled it up it two high ponytails on her head then turned each ponytail into two braids, french braided it and various other things and the moment she hits school, she takes it down and puts it into 1 ponytail.

Any suggestions? Types of braids or products people can't live without? Right now we use Mizani shampoo, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Conditioner and plain old shea butter. I have used Mixed Chicks, Carol's Daughter, Paul Mitchell and the list goes on.

Stephanie

Comments

• snapssnow92snapssnow92 Posts: 170Registered Users
    try using less shampoo and more conditioner. also, get a good gel and put it in her hair when wet. then let it dry, two cute pony tail braids (low ones) are good becasue they do not get in the way and keep hair nice a neat. good luck!
    ~Snaps~
  • Bridget in AZBridget in AZ Posts: 49Registered Users
    no suggestions, but sympathy :) My 8 year old wears a ponytail almost every day. Must be the age!! :wink:
    Blessings, Bridget
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    Have you read Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey? It is full of information about taking care of curly hair. It, along with these forums, helped me tame frizz, poof, and tangles. I wouldn't braid her hair every day, but it's ok every once in a while. Braidouts are great, they look nice and last the whole day. I used to wear my hair in a ponytail every day, and am biracial (not sure if your daughter is, but sounds like it) but once I found NC.com those days were over! In the meantime, I would ditch the relaxing for good because it causes the hair to be more unruly and unmanagable than it started off -not to mention damaged! I just did the big chop a while ago and it's the best thing I've ever done. If your daughter still wants ponytails, just make sure they aren't too tight because she could very well get breakage. I reccommend Blended Beauty products. They have made a noticeable difference in the softness of my hair- the first time I used it! Another good line is Activate hydrating shampoo/conditioner. It's sulfate and cone free, and great at detangling. I highly suggest that your daughter clarifies before using stuff that is cone free. It will make a difference.
    3b-3c CG
  • scasescase Posts: 17Registered Users
    JuicyTube wrote:
    Have you read Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey? It is full of information about taking care of curly hair. It, along with these forums, helped me tame frizz, poof, and tangles. I wouldn't braid her hair every day, but it's ok every once in a while. Braidouts are great, they look nice and last the whole day. I used to wear my hair in a ponytail every day, and am biracial (not sure if your daughter is, but sounds like it) but once I found NC.com those days were over! In the meantime, I would ditch the relaxing for good because it causes the hair to be more unruly and unmanagable than it started off -not to mention damaged! I just did the big chop a while ago and it's the best thing I've ever done. If your daughter still wants ponytails, just make sure they aren't too tight because she could very well get breakage. I reccommend Blended Beauty products. They have made a noticeable difference in the softness of my hair- the first time I used it! Another good line is Activate hydrating shampoo/conditioner. It's sulfate and cone free, and great at detangling. I highly suggest that your daughter clarifies before using stuff that is cone free. It will make a difference.

I have read Curly Girl in fact own the book. However, there are a lot of good ideas but nothing seems to work. She has a section of hair underneath that is perfect--soft, wavy and in perfect condition. The top part is fuzzy and no matter what I put on it it just doesnt get rid of the fuzz. I wouldn't even call it curly anymore just fuzz. Maybe it is because she is approaching 9 as I know that the closer girls get to puberty the more likely it is that her hair will change. Oh well the ponytail continues and so does the search for the perfect product.

BTW, hubby and I had a water softener installed in our house and I can honestly say it has improved the softness of her hair. It is much easier to comb but we still have the fuzz. I would recommend a water softener to anyone if you have hard water.

Thanks for the help!

Stephanie
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    scase wrote: »
    JuicyTube wrote:

I have read Curly Girl in fact own the book. However, there are a lot of good ideas but nothing seems to work. She has a section of hair underneath that is perfect--soft, wavy and in perfect condition. The top part is fuzzy and no matter what I put on it it just doesnt get rid of the fuzz. I wouldn't even call it curly anymore just fuzz. Maybe it is because she is approaching 9 as I know that the closer girls get to puberty the more likely it is that her hair will change. Oh well the ponytail continues and so does the search for the perfect product.

BTW, hubby and I had a water softener installed in our house and I can honestly say it has improved the softness of her hair. It is much easier to comb but we still have the fuzz. I would recommend a water softener to anyone if you have hard water.

Thanks for the help!

Stephanie

I would say keep looking for a good conditioner and stay away from straightening. If you straighten your own hair I would encourage you to go curly so you can see what works for you, and that may also work for your daughter since she's half of your DNA.
    Most importantly the best thing you can do is take a break from washing it or putting in products in it.
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
  • ultracurlzultracurlz Posts: 213Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    hey, i'm 14 going on 15 and biracial. i used to where my hair up in a ponyytail every day because it was so unruley. my parents are both white and had no dea how to take care of my 3c 4a hair. my mom started having it relaxed when i was about eight until i finaly said enough. it took me till 7th grade to realise that she was just killing my hair. make sure that she is aware of the damage relaxers can do to her hair and scalp. if she does choose relaxers, make sure she takes real good care of it incase she ever wants to go natural. see if she would take it out of the pony while shes at home. make sure she is moistureising it enough and use less shampoo. show her pictures of what her hair could look like if she let it grow and took care of it. BTW braids aren't bad. just make sure they are not to tight and you don't leave them in to long. i still were my hair in a pony, but thats because i'm still transitioning.:toothy8: i'm working on getting it moisturized and defrizzfied. it's a neverending battle :eye: i hope that helps you!i! good luck to you both!
    3C/4A mix (Seriously it's all over the place)
    Hair is kinda fine and kinda thick.
    Super short, I'd like definition but styling products don't like me

Profile pic taken the February 2015
    Chopped off (was shoulder length) November 2014
  • Curly_Cajun_FemmeCurly_Cajun_Femme Posts: 342Registered Users
    I am 46 year old woman with 3b /3c and a few 4a underneath who grew up with no advantages of the curly hair products availble now days.
    My mom would keep my hair cut in the "Pixie" cut when I was younger. After a few years my mom would have my hair staightend till I rebelled and went natural.
    Keep in mind the more you mess with her hair the frizzier it will become....
    I agree with the previous posters, more conditioner and add weekly deep treatments for her hair as well. Have a mom and daughter hair care / beauty day on the weekends. Rent a good movie and deep treat the curls and watch the movie, when its over rinse the hair. Excellent bonding time also.

My hair does well when I wash with a no sulfate shampoo and while my hair is wet I add my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky CUrly Knot Today[/buylink] leave in wait a few, rinse and then add a quater size of my leave in to my hair. I then add some curl junkie regular coco curl creme and hand rake through addin a tidge of water so my fingers slide through. Now I apply my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky Curly Curling custard[/buylink] adding water to maintain slippery condition of my hair then I plunk.
    Do not play with hair while drying, you will get frizzy poofing.

Hope this helps.
    Catherine
    3b /3c
    HG Summer List
    Boots Pink is the bomb on my summer hair.
    Donna Marie MiraCurls
    Poos: KCCClean, JCChealting
    Leave In: KCKT, KomazaCalifia
    Conditioners:AOHR
    Styling: KCCC, BRHG, UFCM, MC
    Deep Tx's: CJCR and LustraSIlk
    Your mind is like a parachute, It only functions when its open.....
    Reality, What a concept.~G. Carlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file