Dandruff?

jujucabanajujucabana Posts: 153Registered Users
Ever since I started co-washing I have been having severe dandruff. My hair is great, better then ever, other then the dandruff.

I generally use Garnier Curl & Shine Conditioner and style it with aloe vera gel. Also I use lemon juice to clarify.

Could it be the conditioner?

Comments

• ElizaSeaElizaSea Posts: 5Registered Users
    I was using that conditioner and it gave me crazy build up on my scalp, not to mention my hair!
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    JuJu,

I think the GF C&S has a cone in it, so it isn't GF-friendly and will build up on your hair (and scalp too, I guess) if you don't shampoo it out. It's really popular with people here, but I think they're doing modified-CG so it doesn't build up.
    One of the best things I've found about going CG is that almost immediately, my chronic dry, itchy, flaky scalp cleared up & it feels great now. You might try CO-washing with a CG-friendly product and see if that takes care of things. Good luck!
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • IsolindeIsolinde Posts: 32Registered Users
    One of the best things I've found about going CG is that almost immediately, my chronic dry, itchy, flaky scalp cleared up & it feels great now.

I have to second this. I had an itchy, flaky scalp my whole life, and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get rid of my 'dandruff'. The second I started CG, it disappeared.
  • hunnyjarhunnyjar Posts: 1Registered Users
    That happened to me too. I don't get dandruff when my scalp is dry, I get it when my hair is greasy. The fungus that creates dandruff feeds off of the oils created in your scalp, making the skin on the top of your hair flake quicker and more frequently.

I co-wash with a CG conditioner with citric acid in it, which acts as a clarifyer and is able to get rid of a lot of that oil without drying my hair. I use Kiss my Face Whenever.

If that doesn't help, I would try a non-sulfate shampoo for dandruff like Avalon Organics Tea Tree Oil & Blue Cypress to touch up every once in a while.

That's what I've been doing and it seems to be working very well.
  • jujucabanajujucabana Posts: 153Registered Users
    i just went complete CG with VO5 (bcause it was only $0.95) and it took out the dandruff, after a couple of co-washes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file