My hair made up it's mind earlier....

rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
Hey guys....first of thanks for your patience with me this week! From the way I've been full of questions you'd think I was a hair newbie instead of a licensed cosmetologist! But the things I've learned on this site are FAR different from anything I was taught in hair school!

My hair made up its mind. It doesn't like cones after all. Here's the story.....

I got up today and when I showered I shampooed with diluted WREB shampoo (cone free, but has a few sulfates) after applying a little bit of AVG to my scalp to try to minimize itch (and help what itch I already have). Then I conditioned with my normal GF Length and strength. It was good, more like the first day or so of using the GF was, which was when I was so happy. Then I put in GF curl and shine leave in.

An hour or so later my waves weren't there as much as they usually are. It's gotta be the cones. So with the slippery updo problem and not having as much wurl to my hair that made my decision for me to go back to CO and a more natural approach. I'm still pretty much back to square one. Gotta find a good condish to CO with, without protein, without the ingredients I'm sensitive to, with lots of moisture, gotta find a good dt, gotta find some oils to try. I'm going to start with Sweet almond oil probably, since it's not as expensive as the jojoba. Eventually here's what I want....

1. cone free condish to CO with, little to no fragrance (gotta find WREB sometime)
2. several oils as well as butters to use as leave ins and extra dt's
3. A "regular" deep treatment, naturally based, no cones

And that's about it. I knew I should have stuck with the "minimalist" approach but when my whole head felt yucky and dry I panicked. Partially it was build up I'm sure, but I'm thinking partially it's protein sensitivity too. Could be wrong, but we'll see. I do have my Sally's cure care still, I may break that out for now and see how it goes. I used it with no probs for 2-3 months until it built up on my hair. As far as cost goes too, I figure it this way.....I can spend lots of little amounts of money on lots of products, or invest a little more to get fewer products that actually work and save money in the long run. It's just going to take time to figure it out I suppose.

Oh, the updo problem isn't as bad today.

sigh.....I just wish I knew what worked, and didn't have to go through so many products to find out.

I do have something to do with the GF though....both my daughter's hair is straighter than mine, and my oldest used it last night and LOVES it. LOL!
Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Low poo: looking
COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
RO: varies
Protein: CJCF or CJRM
DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
LI: varies, usually KCKT
Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• kjwavykjwavy Registered Users Posts: 362
    I think I'm one of the very few on the board, but my hair HATES the GF C&S leave-in. It's just way too heavy & pulls my hair almost straight. Plus it feels SO awful & producty in my hair. I can use a rinse out conditioner w/the a-cone with no problem, but I just can't leave it in my hair.

I really can't help you much with your list, because everything I use has a lot of fragrance. One of the best conditioners I've found for CO washing is the Nature's Gate Herbal, which has a VERY strong fragrance, but I love it :D I've been using it for both my CO wash & my 2nd conditioner (I just do it in one step). Another one I like is the OLD formula of GF for fine hair (used the same way as the NG). The newer version is called Body & Volume, & it has a cone in it, & I don't want to use anything containing cones for washing my hair.

I use Curls Ecstasy Asian Hair Tea conditioner for my DT, but it's the old formula that doesn't have any cones in it. The formula has changed & now it contains 'cones :evil:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Discovered nc.com in 09/2003

2b~~fine texture~~normal porosity (except for highlights, which are high)~~normal elasticity~~medium density

Shampoo: Still use sulfates, but only on roots
    Rinse out: Deva One C, JC Too Shea, Original Sprouts Deep Conditioner
    Curl Enhancers: KCCC; JC Rocking Ringlets, JC Spiralicious, & Confident Coils
    Styler: BRHG (over any and all curl enhancers) - this is the one product that I never change - absolute HG!!

I

• rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    I didn't have that problem the first few times I used it. I think with the GF condish too, it was just too much. After my hair has time to normalize on CO again I may try the leave in to see if it does the same thing. Otherwise I'll stick to my oils now.

I just got an Aubrey Organics condish today. It's got a strong herbaly scent but no fragrance added to it. As long as it's not added fragrance, unless I'm sensitive to a particular ingredient, I should be ok. Used it for the first time, and I learned my lesson with the GF, I'm not giving a thumbs up until I use it for awhile. Unless it does ABSOLUTELY wonderful when my hair dries.

I may get Jessicurls dt to try again, unscented this time though. I got a sample pack before and tried them and couldn't use them. I thought it was the nettle in it, but now I think it was the fragrance. ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kjwavykjwavy Registered Users Posts: 362
    The Nature's Gate Herbal has tons of extracts in it, & the fragrance is listed as the 2nd to last ingredient. Here are the ingredients:

Water, Quaternium-87, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey) Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera (Yucca) Extract, Nymphaea Odorata (White Pond Lily) Root Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera (Lotus) Flower Extract, Quercus Alba (Oak) Bark Extract, Butylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance, Caramel.

Unfortunately, I can't tell what exactly it is I'm smelling (the extracts or the fragrance), but to me, it smells clean, really makes my scalp feel clean, & rinses away leaving no residue, but leaves my hair extremely easy to detangle & feeling very moisturized. Jessicurl's Island Fantasy is my favorite scent, but it is strong, so I can see why you would have a problem with it :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Discovered nc.com in 09/2003

2b~~fine texture~~normal porosity (except for highlights, which are high)~~normal elasticity~~medium density

Shampoo: Still use sulfates, but only on roots
    Rinse out: Deva One C, JC Too Shea, Original Sprouts Deep Conditioner
    Curl Enhancers: KCCC; JC Rocking Ringlets, JC Spiralicious, & Confident Coils
    Styler: BRHG (over any and all curl enhancers) - this is the one product that I never change - absolute HG!!

I

• rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    Hi kjwavy....

I may have to check into that one! Thanks! :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file