6 year old transitioning

darrell2525darrell2525 Posts: 5Registered Users
Hello. I recently was forced to cut my daughter's hair into a short afro. She is 6 years old and her hair lenght is currently about 1/2 inches long. I cut it because the perms damaged it. The hair in the back of her was not growing or was breaking. After visiting a hair dermatology, i was told that I was not properly caring for the hair(i.e. too much hard brushing and not cleaning the hair well). So now the hair is cut and I want to grow it naturally.

My main goal for the summer is get hair back in shape and allow it to grow. She has hair type 4b.

I need the best advice on how to condition my baby's hair.here are my

Daily routine for her small afro

1. I use KIDS ORGANICS Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion to keep it mositure through out the day. I use this once per day.

2. I do not brush it b/c the Dr. told me to throw the brush away. I have not brushed it about a month. I do not comb her unless we are going out to eat. If I comb I use a very wide tooth afro comb to prevent any breakage.

3. I massage her head with my fingertips very gently for 10 minutes before going to bed to stimulate growth.

4. How often do I need to condition it and what to put in it after I condition it?

I bought all the Kids Organic products for my 6 year old: The Gro Strong Triple Action, The Shea Butter Moisturizing Hair Lotion, and the Shea Butter Conditioning Shampoo.

My questions are

1. When do i use these products? Do I use the Gro Strong everyday?

2. How often should I use the Kids Organics Gro Stronf Triple Actions, which contains lot of oils. Click here to read the product review of this product http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=304659&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod1083831

3. Is the Kids Organics Shea Butter Conditioning Shampoo a good conditioner? Is it shampoo and conditioner all-in-all?

4. Should I be putting any oils (Virgin Olive oil or Jojoba Oil) in hair.

I basically need advice on how to condition her hair.

Thanks for your time in advance.
An eye for an eye,......, and we all will be blind.

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome! You've come to the right places. I'm so glad you stopped relaxing your daughter's hair. It was painful for me as an adult; I can't imagine what a child would go through.

Also glad you threw away the brush. While your daughter's hair is short, you really don't have to do anything to detangle her hair other than cleanse and condition it and apply a leave-in (the Kids Organics leave-in you use I've heard good things about). Water and conditioners are her and your friends. No need to comb her hair for now; you should be able to detangle it with your fingers for a while. But please use a wide toothed comb with no seams if you comb it.

Best way to detangle your daughter's hair is to do it when it's soaking wet and full of conditioner. Leave the conditoner in for 3 minutes. As hair gets longer, do it in sections. Detangle the very end of the hair first and only when that part is done move up the shaft detangling until you reach the root. This website shows how to detangle (I know nothing about her products)

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/combbrush.html

Here's a fabulous site with lots of good info on routines and product reviews:
    http://motowngirl.com/index.php

Here's a tutorial on twisting and cornrowing:
    http://cornrows.co.uk/howto/cornrolls.html

Consider occasionally twisting her hair as it grows longer (over 2-3"). Twisting is almost a braid and is a great way to wear the hair and keep it protected and detangled, without having to "do" it every day.

Regarding the Gro Strong Triple product, I've bolded the ingredients I have problems with -- and one of them really worries me:

oybean Oil , Hydrogenated Coconut Oil , Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil , Microcrystalline Wax , Fragrance , Propylparaben , Phenyltrimethicone , Olive Oil , Rosemary Leaf Extract , Ginseng Root Extract , Avocado Fruit Extract , Horsetail Extract , Hydrolyzed Soy Protein , , Corn Oil , BHA , BHT , D&C Green No. 6 , D&C Violet No. 2 Lanolin Oil , Black Pepper

IMO black pepper has no business in any product that touches the skin and especially not one for a child; super irritating. Same thing for anything with menthol, eucalyptus, cinnamon, cedar, balsam peru. Other than these there are some very nice ingredients in this. Anything with waxes and silicones requires a strong shampoo to remove. Strong shampoos strip the hair of its natural oil.

Many drugstore conditioners will do both a cleansing and conditioning job and you can throw in a gentle shampoo every so often as needed. And jojoba oil is fine, as is pure coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil is good but it may be a little heavy. You may find a lot of product contains coconut or castor oil. You can buy these oils as pure, add a few drops little rosemary essential oil and you have a wonderful treatment for the hair.

Castor oil is heavy, but used in moderation (on wet hair or mixed into conditioners) it is very nourishing for hair. I rub a little on my ends after I have washed and conditioned and before I style with leave-in. The hair doesn't really need that much oil if the scalp oils aren't being stripped. And the scalp does not need to be oiled at all as it produces its own.

Here's a list of products that may help and most are available in stores. I've marked the ones available on line. I don't list a lot of shampoos because I only shampoo once every 8-14 days (I wash with conditioner every 2-4 days).

Cream of Nature shampoo
    Aubrey Organics shampoos and conditioners
    Trader Joes Nourish Conditioner (very detangling and only $2.50)
    Suave Citrus Smoothie conditioner
    VO5 Vitaburst conditioner
    VO5 Moisture Milk conditioners
    CurlyQ [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Milkshake[/buylink] (www.curls.biz)
    Blended Cutie Satin Style Detangler (http://www.blendedbeauty.com/products-kids.html) - It really does detangle fast
    Robert Craig conditioner (expensive but a little goes a long way and it detangles my hair when it's damp; doesn't have to be soaking wet) http://www.merchantamerica.com/robertcraig/index.php?ba=view_category&category=2333

Hope you get lots of useful feedback and that your daughter enjoys her chemical-free beautiful hair.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • darrell2525darrell2525 Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thank you so much for replying and your advice.

1. Is it ok for me to use the KIDS ORGANICS Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion everyday to keep the hair moisturized?

2. Do I need to buy another conditioner although I have Kids Organics Shea Butter Conditioning Shampoo?

3. Should I only use kids conditioner or will the products you listed work on the kid hair?

4. When and how do I use the Rosemary Oil? I thought about just rubbing a little in hair before and shampoo and condition.

5. Can I wet her hair when she is in the bathtub although I am not shampooing or conditioning it?

Sorry for all the question, but I want very prepared when I condtion her hair Saturday.
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wasn't on the board yesterday, so sorry I couldn't get this to you before today, but hopefully this helps:

1. Is it ok for me to use the KIDS ORGANICS Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion everyday to keep the hair moisturized?

I'd say, yes. Moisturizing the hair daily is very important. I'm not sure what the ingredients in Kids Organics products are, but it sounds like Suburbanbushbabe covered that very well in her post.

There are certain elements/chemicals added to hair products that could be potentially harsh or irritating to the skin, and it's up to you to determine what works well on your daughter's hair and scalp and what doesn't. Really, it's all about experimenting to find what works and reading the ingredients labels on hair products religiously.

There are also other moisturizing lotions and even creams you could use that will be gentle enough on your daughter's hair that aren't "Kids" products, but it all comes down to what you're comfortable with using on your daughter's hair.

2. Do I need to buy another conditioner although I have Kids Organics Shea Butter Conditioning Shampoo?

I think Conditioning shampoo and Conditioner are two different things. "Conditioning shampoo" sounds too much to me like an ALL-in-ONE so I'd invest in some of the separate Shampoos and Conditioners Suburbanbushbabe listed in her post.

There are some really friendly, not-harsh-at-all shampoos and conditioners available in drugstores like CVS and Walmart. But if you're more comfortable with organic products, I'd try looking at an organic grocery store like Whole Foods. "Organic" is just one of those claims that isn't yet regulated by the FDA so if you go into a store that doesn't mainly sell organic products, I'd be wary of the claim.

You could also shop online (at Curl-Mart, etc.) to find suitable products for your daughter's hair.

3. Should I only use kids conditioner or will the products you listed work on the kid hair?

As I said in my response to your first question, there are products out there that aren't labeled for "Kids" per se, but are perfectly safe for use on children's hair and skin.

4. When and how do I use the Rosemary Oil? I thought about just rubbing a little in hair before and shampoo and condition.

Well, after reading Suburbanbushbabe's post, she just mixed the Rosemary oil, along with three other oils into a store-bought conditioner for a deep treatment.

I'm not sure about the benefits of rubbing pure Rosemary oil onto the scalp, but I personally use Tea Tree oil twice a week by applying a few drops to my scalp (as my hair is about the same length as your 6-year old's is right now and any more would cause a greasy mess) and massaging it in using only my fingertips for about 10 minutes.

5. Can I wet her hair when she is in the bathtub although I am not shampooing or conditioning it?

Yes, you most surely can! Usually though, whenever I wet my hair I apply conditioner because wet hair equals tangled hair in my world, and trying to detangle her hair once it's dry will be a nightmare. :D
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I totally agree with the advice already given. Just a note on rosemary oil or any essential oil -- always mix with a base (vegetable) oil. Some essential oils directly applied to the skin may cause irritation. Also, if mixed with a base like almond oil or the ones suggested by Suburban, you will use less of the essential oil but get the benefit of it. (I also use rosemary oil mixed with almond or olive oil on both hair and skin.)
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Midgi, how awesome of you to respond and help her out. I personally wouldn't recommend putting a relaxer on a 6 yr old because they tend to not take care of it like an adult would. My niece got her first relaxer at that age and after a year I could see alot of breakage. She was very happy because her hair is a 4C and long and hard to manage so to my niece having it this way was easier. For my sister this was easier because she hates combing her hair and there was no tangling. But thankfully I was able to convince my sister to stop relaxing her hair and its been almost a year now, her hair is almost completely natural. My sister gets it blow dried once a week, which I think will damage her hair but I can't butt in so much. I'm going to let my sister borrow the Curly Girl book and maybe it'll help.

Don't feel bad that you got your baby's hair relaxed. I walked into the drug store the other day and saw so many relaxers aimed specifically for children. I don't remember seeing those products back in the 70's. She's young enough that she'll never remember this anyway. She's 6 and her hair will be long again before you know it. I know from experience because when I was 5 I decided to cut off ALL of my hair LOL So I grabbed scissors and just chopped it all off. Needless to say my mom gave me a beat down LOL I look at pictures of myself just 2 yrs later and my hair was pretty long considering I had just given myself a Kojak look. :lol:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Thank you all for t he replying. The help and support is great.

I will and shampoo and conditioner her hair once a week, and use the Kids Organic Shea Butter Moisturizing Hair Lotion only a daily routine because I notice her hair remains soft throughout the day with this lotion. I will also use the Kids Organic Olive Oil Moisturizure daily because it keeps the hair shiny with not too much oil. That is all I will do for now. I will continue to massage her hair each night. I do not comb everyday, but if I do comb I use the Moisturizing Hair Lotion well to pull out any hair. The main thing I need to do is leave alone until the hair gets atleast 2'-3'.

Thank you
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No problem! I know I'm new but I have been reading sooo much information and learning fast on this board, so I just decided to return the favor.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
    Yes, I have been learning so much too. I am a father, so I am starting from scratch. I was going to bring hair to a stylist, but I decided to just wait until it grows out to about 3 inches and try to understand how hair behaves. Since I only comb her hair about 3 times a week, i have notice improvements. I will keep you guys updated and come here if I need help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file