Oreck vacuums

CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
OK, I just bought a Dyson (can return) and it seems good, but it's still a bit heavy. So I'm looking online and see the Orecks. They are a bit more expensive, but are they worth it?

I used to have a Kirby G4 (still works, just too heavy for stairs and it's older generation so it doesn't clean as well as new vacs).

So those who have Orecks:

1. Which model do you have? Do you like it or would you have gotten another model?

2. Why do you like/dislike your Oreck?

3. Are the bags expensive? I wanted to get away from bags but I could live with them if I had too.

Thanks!

*** I know, I'm nuts since I just got the Dyson, but it was on sale and can be returned. I just want to cover all the bases. :D
SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Comments

• EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    Ugh, my mom has an Oreck & I hate using the thing! I don't know which model it is though & I don't know how much the bags are.

I know it doesn't have wheels, as I guess all don't. It does have great suction which lifts the carpet, making it look like the carpet needs restretched & retacked. I think this is to propel itself along. But if so, that makes it really hard to push. It's a real workout. But then maybe I'm a wuss & maybe my parents carpeting does need restretched & retacked. :wink:
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    No wheels?! I didn't realize that. :( All their info says it glides over carpets and is easy to push (even arthritic people). Hmmmm.....
  • fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I have an Oreck and love it. It is simple and easy to use, gets up all the dog hair and dirt, but for me the main thing is that it is lightweight. I have a bad back and simply cannot use a heavier vacuum easily.

I got a Dyson and did NOT like it.

(a) terribly heavy. Ached while using it, and hurt afterward.

(b) the front end was built so high that you could not get it under most furniture. So I had to drag out another vacuum to get under the furniture.

(c) yes, it pulled up dirt and had an easy to use (release) bagless system
    but the attachments/hose were awkward and hard to use.

I got rid of it within a month, and it was the nice new animal one (the most powerful model).

My Oreck is older -- can't use it on hard floors, but they make one now that can be used on hardwood/tile/lino and then onto carpet. That's what I want!
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • KeeweeKeewee Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Curl Neophyte
    I had an oreck, don't know if they changed it but I didn't like the fact that it did not have attachments so when you have to vaccuum stairs and under stuff u need the little vaccuum it usually comes with, yes it is light weight but I didn't it like it. Then there is the DYSON let me tell you the BEST vaccum out there, the suction is unbelievable I vaccuum everyday and the crap it pulls up is amazing I have the DC 17 animal one. and it . uses no bags it is very easy to empty, it has attachments I think it is great. Yes it is a bit heavy but you get use to it, and when you do stairs u can just live it on the bottom of the stairs. The hose is quite long. HTH
    3A some 3b Total Product Junkie
    P/Wmarissa
    http://public.fotki.com/Keewee
    Thanks for the feedback.

I actually picked up a Dyson DC17 Animal (see the current dyson thread, I think it's picklegirls') and tried it today.
    It was lighter than my old kirby but still probably too heavy for stairs. I used the little powerhead but I'm not sure it cleaned as well as the main unit. Wow, the stuff I pulled up with the full main unit, not so much with the powerhead. I'll have to see how hard it is to use the whole thing on stairs, but that defeats the purpose.

The lightweight Oreck seems great as I shouldn't be lifting heavy weight either, although the dyson is under 25 lbs I think. What to do?! :?
  • SCGSCG Registered Users Posts: 5,416
    We Have the Oreck XL 21. I think this model is nice, I wouldn't have gotten another one. Not that I would have had any say in it, anyway. :lol: Ours has wheels, and only weighs about 7 pounds. It's also hypo allergenic, which is really nice.
    I couldn't really tell you if the bags are expensive, because I don't really know how much other bags generally cost... But, for ours, we need the hypo allergenic bags, so they're 24.99 for a pack of 8.
    Although, come to think of it, I just changed the bag like... 5 minutes before I read your message, and now I'm not so sure that we're even using the HA bags. That might be something to ask if you decide to buy one.

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • CsaracCsarac Registered Users Posts: 861 Curl Connoisseur
    I got an Oreck a couple of months ago and I LOVE it. It does glide over the carpet, clean beautifully and is very light weight. I bought the cheapest model, just the basic, and paid, total with tax and shipping $306. I also got the free small canister vac with it and that is what I use on my linoleoum floors and to get into small areas, stairs etc. I think the bags for the canister vac come 12 to a pack but I can't remember how much they were.

I bought the no frills, basic replacement bags for my regular vac off the Oreck site and it was like $16 for 8 bags - the bags are HUGE though, so one lasts a long time - I still have not replaced the first one and it's not even a quarter of the way filled (and I vac. every week).

I highly recommend the Oreck. My SIL has the top of the line model that she paid like, $800 for and she worships it. She says it practically runs on it's own - she was the one who suggested the Oreck to me to begin with.
    HG: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (always and forever)
    Cantu Naturals s & c (shampoo 1x a week), use conditioner as a co-wash every day and LI under my gel.

Air dry then diffuse canapy layers only for volume
    Coconut oil before/after coloring grays and on ends.

2b/c mix waves/curls - coarse, frizz prone, med. thick, porous, at-home color, protein sensitive but I still need it sometimes, glycerin-sensitive (I think) in high humidity. After 16 years on NC.com I FINALLY figured it out..

So do they pick up tons of dirt like the Dyson's?
    Maybe I'll have to take the 30-day challenge and compare it. I was thinking of the XL Ultra. It comes in teal! :D

So the new ones, or higher end, have wheels? Good. :)

Liz, your mom needs a new one. ;)
  • fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I think they clean about as well as the Dyson. Part of what's impressive about Dyson is that you can see the dirt in the clear cannister (which is very easy to empty). But the Oreck picks up all the dog hair that I can see, and seems to keep the carpets nice and clean. I make sure I empty the bag as soon as it hits the fill line -- very easy to change bags.

That's my only gripe, though -- you can't just buy Oreck bags in the grocery store.

It really is the only vacuum that doesn't leave my back aching, and that's very important to me.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • Bridget in AZBridget in AZ Registered Users Posts: 49
    I have an oreck too, I think it weighs 8 pounds. I've had it a couple of years now and I love it. I paid about $500 for it, well worth it. It doesn't have on board attachments but that is alright. It does an awesome job on my hard floors as well as on the carpet. Super easy to push/pull. I have no idea if it has wheels, I've never looked. But, if it doesn't then it doesn't need them because it is very easy to move.
    Blessings, Bridget
    So is the Oreck easy enough to use the whole thing on stairs? I have stairs that get a lot of use (entry).
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    I have been coveting the Dyson. My sister loves hers and she is the vac queen in our family.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote:
    So do they pick up tons of dirt like the Dyson's?
    Maybe I'll have to take the 30-day challenge and compare it. I was thinking of the XL Ultra. It comes in teal! :D

So the new ones, or higher end, have wheels? Good. :)

Liz, your mom needs a new one. ;)

I think she must have got a bottom-of-the-line or older version then. BLEH

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file