Flying into Newark with 15 hour layover what to do?

curlypotatocurlypotato Registered Users Posts: 46
I am flying to Europe in August and using frequent flyer miles so I have the worst connections. I will be taking the red-eye to Newark arriving at 5:30 am and not leaving again until 10 that evening. I thought since I was so close to NY I might take the train? bus? into town and do a bit of sightseeing since I haven't been in the city for 18 years or so. Any ideas of what I should do, see, keep myself safe? The other thought is to join the presidents club/lounge and try to sack out/shower there. If you were me what would you do?

Comments

• KateRobertsKateRoberts Registered Users Posts: 286
    Personally, I would stay put.

There's a stagnant air warning in this area, so it'll be very hot, uncomfortable, and humid.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    I would sack out, but that is because I don't sleep well on planes and I get headaches and cranky when I am really tired. But if you are the type that can get by on very little sleep then I would go into town and see the sights.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    I would definitely take the bus to get out. I personally would shop(soho, chinatown and e34th street) if I was not tired. For sightseeing there are some museums I've always wanted to check out...don't have any other suggestions without googling.

O yea the have plenty of buses that will take you right into the city for 11 to 15 bucks I think.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I can't imagine passing up an opportunity to spend a little time in NYC. Go and have some fun. It'll be during the day so I don't see why you'd be unsafe. Just keep a tight hold on your handbag. Do you like museums, parks, shopping, dining, people watching? Personally, I always enjoy visiting South Street Seaport to people watch and get a nice (but overpriced) meal. You could visit Ground Zero and do a little shopping in the Village all before 5:00 pm. You can get a subway map for free in any station (last I checked) and ask people how to get places. All of these things are in lower manhattan so they're not far from each other and you can easily catch a cab or take the subway a few stops to get there. Just start back to the airport by 5:00 pm.

• journotravelerjournotraveler Registered Users Posts: 2,816
    you've got enough time that you could do both--sack out and do a little sight-seeing in the city. you could take a nap in the a.m., then take a bus/cab/train into the city & make it back in time for your flight. i wouldn't sleep too much, though. if you're taking a late night flight, it's better to sleep on that so you can wake up right before the plane lands in the a.m. europe time. that way, you won't feel the jetlag so much.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    Well, if you decide to stay in the airport area near it you have Jersey Gardens Mall and Ikea, so if you can figure out how to get there, you can always kill time there.

But if you come into NYC, yeah definitely take advantage! You'll kill time so quickly here.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    If you're going to hit NYC, I'd take the train. You can take the train to Penn Station in Newark then take the PATH to WTC if you want to do downtown, or go directly into Penn Station in NY if you want to do midtown.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • curlypotatocurlypotato Registered Users Posts: 46
    Thanks for all the ideas. I think I will probably do both (sleeping & sightseeing) depending on how the red eye flight went. I am such a light sleeper now that I have kids and I'm sure I will be a bit paranoid about missing the pm flight over the pond so I bet I will be a bit exhausted but unable to sleep until I am on the last of the US leg. I love NYC but haven't been there in ages. I just might have to make an adventure out of it. Keep coming with the ideas!

TIA!!!!!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I missed the Metropolitan Museum of Art when I was there late April. I'd go there, then have a good lunch somewhere. The Central Park Zoo is nearby as well. Buses go straight from Newark to Port Authority; get an express.

Either that or I'd sack out at an airport hotel. :lol:
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    I missed the Metropolitan Museum of Art when I was there late April. I'd go there, then have a good lunch somewhere. The Central Park Zoo is nearby as well. Buses go straight from Newark to Port Authority; get an express.

Either that or I'd sack out at an airport hotel. :lol:

The newly renovated Greek and Roman Exhibitions have re-opened too.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • quickcurlquickcurl Registered Users Posts: 1,310
    I would absolutely recommend getting into the city. It'll kill time and you've got plenty of time to do some stuff like go to a museum or two and get some in some decent meals. I would personally take the train, just because that's what I'm comfortable with, but I've heard the bus is pretty easy to figure out.

Have fun!!!
    "It's hard to remember a time, when I didn't have you", Richie Sambora
    "Boys are bad and men are stupid", WB's
    "After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh" Mr. Big

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file