Kobe Poll

munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
Looks like there is a good chance Kobe's criminal case will get thrown out. If so, I was just wondeirng... do you think this whole ordeal scared the crap out of him and he learned his lesson, or do you think he will be smug and think he's just another high paid athlete who is above the law and can get away with anything?

I have been wondering how he will behave if this case is dropped.

I realize there is a civil suit lurking, but they don't seem to have the impact on these high profile people as criminal charges.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.
3b/c

Comments

• ScarletScarlet Registered Users Posts: 3,125 Curl Neophyte
    Although this might sound sort of anti-feminist, I don't believe that he raped her. They certainly had sex, but IMO it was consensual sex. Kobe's not dumb and although he's a rich athlete, he never struck me as being someone who (for being in his profession) was overly arrogant, and certainly not criminal.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • GuardianBGuardianB Registered Users Posts: 1,905 Curl Connoisseur
    I'll have to wait until the civil outcome to answer if he's smug or not. Like Scarlet I beleive there was sex but it was consensual. I do beleive Kobe has an overly high opinion of himself so I'm not sure if he will take a lesson from this. I also don't know if he will fight until the end through the civil trial if it is going to intefere with his basketball in order to prove his innocence or if he will just pay her off to to avoid the hassle which will leave lingering doubt in most people of the true happenings that night.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't been able to sort out in my mind if I think the sex was rape or consensual, just hoping his illicit involvement with this woman scared him enough to tow the line.
    3b/c
  • bouncebounce Registered Users Posts: 297
    I think that Kobe is a total azz - on the court and off. His teammates (current and former) despise him. His trial was moving forward and he signed an XX million (need a boy here to put in the amount) contract while on trial for rape, and was just as arrogant as ever.

I HATE when Kobe gets compared to Michael - they may both have skill, but Michael is more of a person than Kobe will ever be.

He makes me sick.

So no, I don't think he's learned any kind of lesson b/c he is never responsible or accountable for his actions - what lesson is there to be learned for him? Be an azz and don't get caught?
  • LJCurly9LJCurly9 Registered Users Posts: 9
    What bothers me is that the accuser, a legal adult, has somehow managed to keep her identity and face a secret. I think that she is being a coward and regardless of the facts behind it, Kobe hasn't had the luxury of being unknown throughout this trial.

If she is a part of such a huge trial, she should by all means be identifiable.

That's just my take.
  • Twirly GirlTwirly Girl Registered Users Posts: 53
    LJCurly9 wrote:
    What bothers me is that the accuser, a legal adult, has somehow managed to keep her identity and face a secret. I think that she is being a coward and regardless of the facts behind it, Kobe hasn't had the luxury of being unknown throughout this trial.

That's just my take.

If she's been raped then she's entitled to keep her identity a secret. Would you want your face splashed across the media in such a case? Her name wil be dragged through the mud, the pro Kobe media will be trying to get dirt on her and his fans will be after her as well. I can fully understand why she's chosen not to reveal her identity.

As for the poll, most athletes think they're above the law and I doubt this case will change Kobe in anyway. Cases such as this are unfortunate as so many women do have consensual sex with athletes that a lot of the guys then presume any women would want to be with them, and I'm sure genuinely believe that what occured wasn't rape. It's sad because for those girls that are violated it's unlikely they'll ever get justice.
  • mazeymazey Registered Users Posts: 709
    LJCurly9 wrote:

That's just my take.

So we should out every rape victim who presses charges? That is ridiculous. Most rape victims don’t come forward as it is, since your sexual history is poured out there and judged in court. Often times the rape victims are victimized twice - once by the rapist and again in court. How will plastering this woman’s face all over the media help any? IMO, all sexual assault victims have a right to privacy.

Oh, and I don’t think he raped her either. Consensual sex yes, rape, no.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    I didn't answer the poll because I don't think he raped her either. It was consensual. And the last time I checked, adultery was not against the law. Adultery is bad, but it's between Kobe and his wife.
  • kurlykittykurlykitty Registered Users Posts: 162
    LJCurly9 wrote:

That's just my take.

If she's been raped then she's entitled to keep her identity a secret. Would you want your face splashed across the media in such a case? Her name wil be dragged through the mud, the pro Kobe media will be trying to get dirt on her and his fans will be after her as well. I can fully understand why she's chosen not to reveal her identity.

And what about the men falsely accussed of rape who have their faces splashed across the media, and who have their names dragged through the mud, and who will forever be identified as "accused rapist so-and-so" - for something they did not do? Just because they were accused, they should be publicly defamed for life?

Either make both the accused and the accuser face the publicity, or keep the identity of bothprivate until the trial is over.
    "Beware the man of one book." --Latin proverb
    I'm pretty sure that her name and address were in fact splashed all over the internet when the case first broke, weren't they? I believe that crazy Laker fans were threatening her.

How can we help these women come forward when things like that happen? Not this case in particular (b/c I agree that I think it was consensual) but just in general.

If you are a skilled researcher, you can basically find anyone's info and any given time.
  • mazeymazey Registered Users Posts: 709
    kurlykitty wrote:
    And what about the men falsely accussed of rape who have their faces splashed across the media, and who have their names dragged through the mud, and who will forever be identified as "accused rapist so-and-so" - for something they did not do? Just because they were accused, they should be publicly defamed for life?

Nope. I totally agree with you, and not just rapists either. I was responding to the particular point the other poster raised. I have never liked the fact that you are supposed to be “innocent until proven guilty,” yet the whole world gets to be in on what you are accused of. Look at the guy they blamed for the Atlanta Olympic bombing (Richard Jewel, I believe). He has stated that him being falsely accused pretty much ruined his life.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • perfectlyfrizzycurlsperfectlyfrizzycurls Registered Users Posts: 39
    mrspoppers wrote:
    I And the last time I checked, adultery was not against the law.

Adultery is against the law in 20 states and the military.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/grossman/20031216.html

Kobe is jerk, and a bigger one than Jordan which is really saying something because Jordan was/is a major ahole. He has not learned his lesson, he will be business as usual. He has no one to ground him in life. He isnt close to his parents, his wife is young and bought and paid for. There is no one to stand up to him and make him act respectable. He will keep up the same tricks, he might be more careful in the future.
  • naturaltnaturalt Registered Users Posts: 175 Curl Neophyte
    bounce wrote:

I HATE when Kobe gets compared to Michael - they may both have skill, but Michael is more of a person than Kobe will ever be.

Didn't Michael have an affair also?

In any case, I did not vote in this poll because I am not convinced that Kobe raped her. I don't see why Kobe would think he is "above the law" if he didn't rape her. Maybe he'll think twice about cheating on his wife though.
    cloud9.gif
    naturalt wrote:
    In any case, I did not vote in this poll because I am not convinced that Kobe raped her.

I didn't vote because "I don't give a rat's patootie about the sexcapades of overpaid athletes" wasn't a vote option. :lol:
    MJ had a mistress and tom catted all around Chicago. He was also a jerk on the court, like Kobe is, and that is what I was talking about.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    kurlykitty wrote:
    naturalt wrote:
    In any case, I did not vote in this poll because I am not convinced that Kobe raped her.

I didn't vote because "I don't give a rat's patootie about the sexcapades of overpaid athletes" wasn't a vote option. :lol:

"Overhyped". You forgot "overhyped".
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    I don't understand the whole athletes are over paid. Most of them are underpaid. They generate billions in revenue and only get a small piece of the pie and can be traded like trading cards. They wouldn't be over hyped if there wasn't a market for it.
    I don't really give a damn how much atheletes or other entertainers are paid, though I do think that musicians are horribly cheated by the record companies.

In any event, I don't give a fig what entertainers do in their bedrooms. I watch, listen to, and buy their entertainment based on whether they are talented at their craft, not on whether I approve or disapprove of their personal moral behavior. Pro atheletes can have a polygamous harem living in a compound or be happily married and monogamous for 20 years, makes no difference to me. Either I like to watch their game or I don't. Musicians can go in and out of 5 minute Vegas marriages, or be promoting AIDS relief on tour, actors can adopt Cambodian orphans, or be spoiled drama queens that we laugh at, and directors can hide in France from statuatory rape charges. Either I like and patronize their work, or I don't.

Their business is entertainment, not being shining beacons of morality for the world.
    naturalt wrote:
    bounce wrote:

Didn't Michael have an affair also?

Kobe is just a total p*r*i*c*k, completely separate from the affair, through and through. He's just a straight up jerk, in his interviews, to his coaches, to his teammates, essentially to everyone.

MJ at least had respect for his teammates, his game and the city of Chicago. Obviously not his wife, but I'm addressing the professional part of their lives, not personal.
  • BookishCurlyBookishCurly Registered Users Posts: 75
    No, I don't think he learned his lesson. He will keep cheating.
    "A thing of beauty is a joy forever: It's loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; but will still keep a bower quiet for us, and a sleep full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing."... John Keats. (Endymion, Book I, 1-5)
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    mrspoppers wrote:
    I And the last time I checked, adultery was not against the law.

Adultery is against the law in 20 states and the military.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/grossman/20031216.html

I had no idea. You learn something new every day.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
    bounce wrote:
    I think that Kobe is a total azz - on the court and off. His teammates (current and former) despise him. His trial was moving forward and he signed an XX million (need a boy here to put in the amount) contract while on trial for rape, and was just as arrogant as ever.

He makes me sick.

So no, I don't think he's learned any kind of lesson b/c he is never responsible or accountable for his actions - what lesson is there to be learned for him? Be an azz and don't get caught?

actually i thought michael jordan cheated on his wife juanita several times when they were married and it eventually resulted in their separation. don't know if they ever divorced or not.

all i know is i never liked either as a person. when michael jordan told gene siskel that his favorite movie was friday, it was a sad day for me. and kobe seems snotty.

however, i think kobe and the woman in colorado had consensual sex. i also think that the resulting events have scared the **** out of him, and he will improve. if he doesn't he's an idiot ****.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    mrspoppers wrote:
    I didn't answer the poll because I don't think he raped her either. It was consensual. And the last time I checked, adultery was not against the law. Adultery is bad, but it's between Kobe and his wife.

after reading this, what mrspoppers said.

eta: how often are adultery laws actually enforced?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

Often in the military, not often in civilan life unless people turn someone in.
    Often in the military, not often in civilan life unless people turn someone in.

that's what i thought. thanks for confirmation.

• FoxyCurlFoxyCurl Registered Users Posts: 19
    arghhh! Kobe! :evil:

This whole case is circus. It's an embarrassment to our judicial system.
    This poor girl. I hope she at least gets some money from the civil suit.
    FoxyCurl wrote:
    arghhh! Kobe! :evil:

This whole case is circus. It's an embarrassment to our judicial system.
    This poor girl. I hope she at least gets some money from the civil suit.

She should sue the state for leaking her name before she sues Kobe.

Why should Kobe paid her if he didn't do anything?
  • FoxyCurlFoxyCurl Registered Users Posts: 19
    Well it's up to the civil suit jury to decide whether he did anything.
    My personal belief is that he did but it's up to the jury to decide.

I think Kobe's lawyer should be disbarred for saying her name 6 times "by mistake" in one of the earlier hearings.
    FoxyCurl wrote:
    Well it's up to the civil suit jury to decide whether he did anything.

The problem with a civil suit is that they is not very much required at all to prove he did anytihng and just to award her money.

Once she filed this suit along with the dirty panties, I am sure she is lying.
  • Confused CurlyConfused Curly Registered Users Posts: 229
    Scarlet wrote:
    Although this might sound sort of anti-feminist, I don't believe that he raped her. They certainly had sex, but IMO it was consensual sex. Kobe's not dumb and although he's a rich athlete, he never struck me as being someone who (for being in his profession) was overly arrogant, and certainly not criminal.

Ditto! Normally, I believe the woman no matter what. I'm pretty sexist and about that. I don't think he raped her.

I clicked #2 not because I think Kobe will think he is above the law. How can someone who is innocent and (hopefully) acquitted be beyond the law. I clicked #2 because I think the real @$$hole athletes out there will think "If Kobe got away with it, so can I." They are the ones who will continue to think they are above the law.
    Do you know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.
    --Unknown, presumed deceased

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file