Yoga Mats - Please help me choose

ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
I bought a yoga DVD, which I enjoy. Now I need a mat.

I am a beginner. The mat will be on carpet (not very cushiony carpet...very hard floor). I need something that is extra cushy.

These are two I cannot decide between:

Yoga Monster Mat
This is the yoga mat you've been waiting for. The Monster Mat is both monster sized and monster thick. It provides a thick, textured surface for extra stickiness and grip. Double-sided traction for double the mat life. Monster Mats are hand washable. Extra long size: 24" x 72 Double thickness: 1/4" (6 mm) - for added comfort. Available in five colors: Zen Red, Deep Black, Blue, Purple and Sunrise Yellow. This is one of the finest Yoga mats at a great price.

Most 1/8 inch thick sticky mats are too thin and soft and simply do not provide enough cushion to ones knees, ankles and other sensitive bones for comfortable yoga practice. Yoga Monster mat is 140% thicker measuring 1/4" thickness and with more density more cushion and more comfort.

Natural Cotton Fitness Mat
Natural Cotton Fitness Mat is covered in sturdy cotton canvas and stuffed with pure cotton batting. The Cotton Fitness Mat brings comfort to your exercise, relaxation or massage. This extra thick mat is great for Yoga or Pilates and is especially useful for those needing extra padding. The attached rollup ties allow for easy storage and can be used as a bolster and the attached shoulder strap makes for easy transport. Consider adding the washable protective cotton cover sold separately. Also available in Organic Cotton.

(This one is about 2 inches thick)

Made in the USA.

These comfy cotton mats have many uses from camping, napping for kids and adults, play mat and for children's sleepovers - just to name a few.

Thanks!
If you have any other recommendations, please let me know.
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I like the sticky mats because they I can get a good hold on hands and feet for poses like downward facing dog. Tapas is the brand I have. I think Hugger Mugger makes them too.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Agree with a sticky mat over a cotton mat, unless you're doing Bikram yoga.

The Monster Mat may be overkill if you'll be practicing on a carpeted surface, even it it's a very non-cushy carpet. I have an extra-thick mat but that's because I used to take a class in a room that had a commercial vinyl tile floor directly over concrete. HARD and COLD. But the thick mat is too soft for balancing poses. I think a regular thin mat would be fine.

I usually buy my mats at Marshall's/TJ Maxx. They have good mats at great prices. Unless you're doing power yoga every day, they hold up fine.
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    Thanks Suburbanbushbabe and SuZenGuide.
  • firelilyfirelily Registered Users Posts: 1,298
    I have a thick mat. Honestly, I think I would prefer a cotton mat. I don't usually do hot yoga, but when I do, that sticky mat is not enough, and I slide all over the place.

At home, I tend to just use my carpet, and no mat.
    Lots and lots of fine 3b-ish hair.
    DevaCurl currently, but exploring new products.
    Love the hair!
    Oh, for hot yoga a sticky mat is definitely not the thing.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    I use a sticky mat that I bought at Wal Mart I think, for around $10. It more than suits my needs. Also, since you said the floor is pretty hard - I consider that to be a good thing. My favorite is to have my sticky mat directly on hardwood. I don't like it to cushiony.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • LAwomanLAwoman Registered Users Posts: 2,949 Curl Neophyte
    Like PixieCurl, I just got a cheapie one at Target and it works great. It was between $10 and $15 I think.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Registered Users Posts: 2,816
    i use a big, thick rubber mat that cost me about $75 but i've used it for years, so it was well worth it. i practice ashtanga yoga & needed the extra cushioning & length. it's bigger & thicker than your average sticky mat. i wouldn't go with a cotton mat because you won't be able to grip with it. a rubber/sticky mat lets you hold on in balancing poses, backbends, downward facing dog, etc.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Since you're a beginner, I would get the sticky mat. It does come in handy during standing poses and vinyasa flow when you're constantly moving. I have been using my $10 Wal-Mart mat for at least 3 years now and I can't complain. For certain poses that require extra cushioning, I use a folded throw cover or pillow.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    When I was a beginner. I didn't use a yoga mat. A large towel on carpet worked just fine. I can see needing a mat for flow type yoga, but for beginning yoga, I don't really see the need.
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    I need something because the floor is very hard, and carpet makes me itch. So I guess I will go with a sticky mat.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
  • SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    I'm very much a beginner to yoga.

I got a sticky mat at Target years ago. It's one of the thinner ones (probably 1/8") and it's held up well and done me good service.

I have hardwood floors. I tried the floor option and the towel option (doesn't work on the wood floors, the towel scoots around too much). I really like the sticky mat because:

Even just a little bit of padding helps in poses where you have a lot of weight on your joints (wrists, elbows, knees, hips)

The edge of the mat helps me check my aligment and the dimensions help me check correct positioning of hands and feet

The sticky factor is great for down dog poses, all variations

It's easier to keep clean than my floors :oops:
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file