hurtful comments people've made about your hair

Comments

• tooj68tooj68 Posts: 471Registered Users
    I was always called Brillohead or pubic-hair-on-her-head. :(

Now, as a 38 year old I love my curls and wouldn't change em for anyone! I think curls are hot and sexy! So does my DH! He loves curlygirls!!
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    :evil:

At practice today, we were lined up to do these different running drills, and the girl behind me said "Hmm... Your hair is kind of fluffy!" :evil: :x

It's not MY fault that it was so humid out today! Yes, my hair was kind of big today, but...
    1) I can't control the weather
    2) You didn't need to point it out, keep it to yourself if that's how you really felt.
    3) Your hair is freaking PIN STRAIGHT, I don't care what you think of my hair. Kay? You have no idea how hard my hair is to deal with, especially on humid days. I'm not like you - I can't get right out of the shower with wet hair, and not do anything with it.

Ahem, anyway, that's enough ranting from me.

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • CurlyRuthyCurlyRuthy Posts: 40Registered Users
    I'm being seated to have dinner with my friend -- a friend with a sarcastic edge. The waiter asks if he can get us anything to drink. We order. As he walks away, my friend adds...." Oh, and how about a comb and a straightening iron for her". Only I heard it and she thought it was funny---nevertheless, it tells me something about her and about how resistant people can be to curly hair.
    3B-NoPoo,OneC,AnGell,Joiwhip,Jessicurl

event.png
  • pronekpronek Posts: 13Registered Users
    My most-hated insults are the kind that suggest the only reason I wear my hair curly is that I'm just lazy, or that straightening it would be so easy. I can't count the number of times I've complained to a friend about a bad hair day, and they've said, "Why don't you just straighten it?" Um, let's see...because that even takes professionals two hours to do to my hair? For the same reason you wouldn't "just perm" yours?
    For my Bat Mitzvah, I wanted to do something that was a bit of a departure from my normal style, but definitely not straight. I had my hair set in rollers to create gentle waves that were very 40s starlet. I felt great until, at my party, a girl said to me, "You should wear your hair like that every day!" The audacity of a comment like that! As if you would ever tell a straight-haired woman to spend an hour and a half and 60 bucks every day getting a professional stylist to pull and pin her hair into the kind of updo she wears for parties!
    Once, in grade six (the most awkward year of anyone's life), I was rooting through my locker when I felt a tap on the shoulder. I turned around and a strange woman said to me, "I just wanted to see the owner of these beautiful curls!" I kept that compliment with me through the next five years of torment. After awhile, I started getting more compliments than insults, and now I'm known for my beautiful, naturally curly hair, not for being, as one person once called me, a "chia pet."
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    pronek wrote:
    My most-hated insults are the kind that suggest the only reason I wear my hair curly is that I'm just lazy, or that straightening it would be so easy. I can't count the number of times I've complained to a friend about a bad hair day, and they've said, "Why don't you just straighten it?" Um, let's see...because that even takes professionals two hours to do to my hair? For the same reason you wouldn't "just perm" yours?
    For my Bat Mitzvah, I wanted to do something that was a bit of a departure from my normal style, but definitely not straight. I had my hair set in rollers to create gentle waves that were very 40s starlet. I felt great until, at my party, a girl said to me, "You should wear your hair like that every day!" The audacity of a comment like that! As if you would ever tell a straight-haired woman to spend an hour and a half and 60 bucks every day getting a professional stylist to pull and pin her hair into the kind of updo she wears for parties!
    Once, in grade six (the most awkward year of anyone's life), I was rooting through my locker when I felt a tap on the shoulder. I turned around and a strange woman said to me, "I just wanted to see the owner of these beautiful curls!" I kept that compliment with me through the next five years of torment. After awhile, I started getting more compliments than insults, and now I'm known for my beautiful, naturally curly hair, not for being, as one person once called me, a "chia pet."

Ooooh, those are the worst! Like "I love you with straight hair, why don't you wear it like that all the time??" Hello, this isn't easy. :evil:
    I feel your pain!
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • sarsarsarsar Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hah, WE'RE lazy? I know so many friends with straight hair who get up, brush their hair, and are out the door. Me, I have to wake up an hour earlier to shower and condition so that my hair isn't a knotted mess.

I haven't had any insults, at least not to my face, but I know whenever I went to high school, my peers would only compliment my hair if I decided to wear it straight that day. It always irritated me to no end. Now I don't straighten it at all. So many people ask me if I get it permed because hardly any curly girls wear theirs' naturally. It's such a shame, although I love being able to say, "No, it's natural." :D
  • curly3acurly3a Posts: 12Registered Users
    One day when I was in High School my best friend said to me, "you look like you stuck your hand in a light socket!" I was sooo upset, keep in mind, this was my best friend! I struggled with my curly hair for years! This particular day I thought it looked nice, I used hot curlers almost every day because I didn't know of any other way to do it.
    Very hurtful!
    Then on a bad hair day I had a guy that sat behind me on the school bus tell me I looked like I had a mushroom on my head. I was so embarrased! I just wish they could see me now!!
  • baroness1440baroness1440 Posts: 41Registered Users
    "I like your hair better straight".
    Holding a Grudge is Like Drinking Poison Hoping the Other Person will Die.
  • waterlily716waterlily716 Posts: 781Registered Users
    I vividly remember being nicknamed Sarah-Fuzzy-Haira by my soccer team. But now that I'm doing the CG routine people complement my curls all the time and ask to touch my hair! I'm in highschool and the look is basically always stick straight because wavy and curly girls just straighten their hair. But now people envy my hair and pull my ringlets!
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a/b low to normal porosity curls
    CG method since 2006 @:-)
    CO wash: suave naturals coconut
    rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm
    stylers: KCNT, CK, jessicurl spiralicious
    @waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
    Blog: Curls and Blossoms

• -curly-claire--curly-claire- Posts: 127Registered Users
    When people say 'It's easy fo you, you don't have to straighten your hair!' Excuse me it takes me longer to get my hair nice than for you to straighten your hair and besdies after 1 day of straightening your hair and leaving it it's fine for another day but with me it's not. OMG straight haired people just don't understand! :evil:
    Pass: curly
    3A.
  • blueangel0925blueangel0925 Posts: 76Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My story is really hurtful...I've tried so long to forget it and I wasn't going to tell, but I guess I should.
    When I was 12, I had no clue what to do with my hair. It was around this time that I had my fear of hairdressers because none of them really knew what to do with it. So I'd pull it back in a ponytail or a braid, which caused frizz and 'wings' in front of my head. Anyway, one horrible day, some kids in my Spanish class were fooling around with some clear spray that was quick-drying and made it impossible for chalk to be erased from the board. They actually wrote on the back board "(my name here) is nappy and ugly" and put the spray over it. I tried to stop them from doing it, but they held me back. The teacher asked the next day who did it and they confessed, but it didn't matter; that message stayed up there for a week before the custodians finally got it in their heads to use soap and water to wipe it off. It wasn't exactly the worst thing that happened to me, but I never forgot it and I never forgave the boys that did it. (not that they said they were sorry, but still)
    I use the Totally Twisted line from Herbal Essences: Conditioner/gel daily; shampoo and Wella In-Depth treatment once a week.

"Wishes, on their way to coming true, will not be rushed." -From Arnold Lobel's Caldecott Medal-winning book "Fables"
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    My story is really hurtful...I've tried so long to forget it and I wasn't going to tell, but I guess I should.
    When I was 12, I had no clue what to do with my hair. It was around this time that I had my fear of hairdressers because none of them really knew what to do with it. So I'd pull it back in a ponytail or a braid, which caused frizz and 'wings' in front of my head. Anyway, one horrible day, some kids in my Spanish class were fooling around with some clear spray that was quick-drying and made it impossible for chalk to be erased from the board. They actually wrote on the back board "(my name here) is nappy and ugly" and put the spray over it. I tried to stop them from doing it, but they held me back. The teacher asked the next day who did it and they confessed, but it didn't matter; that message stayed up there for a week before the custodians finally got it in their heads to use soap and water to wipe it off. It wasn't exactly the worst thing that happened to me, but I never forgot it and I never forgave the boys that did it. (not that they said they were sorry, but still)

What jerks! :evil: Some kids (and adults) are just total insensitive jerks. Wouldn't it be great to show them your gorgeous hair and tell them they can never get such gorgeous "ugly" hair if they try?
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • bobbybobby Posts: 739Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You gals will probably hate me for saying this but fortunately as a guy one advantage is to reply with, "Well, at least I have mine." Which is no small feat for some of us.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
    bobby wrote:
    You gals will probably hate me for saying this but fortunately as a guy one advantage is to reply with, "Well, at least I have mine." Which is no small feat for some of us.

Good comeback. :D
    I use the Totally Twisted line from Herbal Essences: Conditioner/gel daily; shampoo and Wella In-Depth treatment once a week.

"Wishes, on their way to coming true, will not be rushed." -From Arnold Lobel's Caldecott Medal-winning book "Fables"
  • Shelbynicole91Shelbynicole91 Posts: 72Registered Users
    well i was trying to think of bad experiences to type for this, but i didnt really have that many bad ones, i mean when i was a kid my hair was 3a golden blonde and i loved it, i remember first going into preschool i told my mom i didnt see anyone with hair like mine, they all had hair like her (straighty) and shes like."isnt that cool?" so ya i liked mine, but i DO remember in like middle school it got a little bit curlier and one day i let my cousin straigten my hair, i went to school and everyone was like "daaaaammnnn" they liked it..but i got so sick of everyone telling me how much better it looked..i went into the school bathroom and just totally soacked my head and put my hair into a pony tail! lol idk about all you other fellow curlys out there but i definetlly think my hairs a part of my personality, ya know? crazy curly shelby :D
  • kcckcc Posts: 681Registered Users
    I have always had curly hair, but my mom would try to brush it out every morning. I would cry every single time.

I usually wore my hair wavy and frizzy, as straighteners didn't exist when I was in high school. I used a curling iron to "straighten" my hair for prom! In college, I realized I had always had curly hair that had been trapped in a ponytail for years so I wore it curly and bought products for the first time. My college friends loved it, but one day when I was working I relapsed into that terrible mental state of junior high (where kids said I didn't have "hair," I just had "frizz"). As a pre-school teacher, I had very sweet students. One girl (4 years old) had stick straight hair and loved my curly locks. Then one day she told me that her mom had told her that I didn't brush my hair and that's why "it looked like that."

What's funny about that incident is that I felt like we had the same mothers. This incident actually propelled me to straighten my hair the next week and received lots of compliments for the last few years whenever it's straight.

Other wonderful comments--

From a co-worker: "I have curly hair but only wear it that way when I feel like being lazy." Same co-worker: "You could be a white Beyonce for Halloween."

Another co-worker: "Are you going for the 80s look today?"

My cousin's wife saw a picture of me with straight hair and said to me, "You look like a model with straight hair. You should wear it like that."

Hairdresser: "You have a ton of hair. I hear that when people get pregnant their curls naturally relax and change texture. So there's hope for you!"

In junior high: "Your hair is ugly." Also I got the name "Poof Poof." And the kids who tried to throw junk into my hair thinking I wouldn't feel it.

Now I'm in my mid-20s, and one of my students said, "Wow, how do you manage all of that hair?" And then giggled to her friend.

Also, last Christmas my mom actually stopped taking the family picture to have me go to the mirror and "tame the afro." The tears began forming, and I felt embarrassed that it still affects me so much. When my mom met me for lunch last month she said, "Well I'm sooo glad you tried to fix your hair when I take you out to lunch (sarcasm). Don't you own a comb? It looks like a mop. Did you bring a rubberband?"

What's sad is that I actually believe the comments in a way. I still wear it curly a lot, but I'd like to be confident enough to wear it curly everyday. I also don't understand why people act like it's my fault that my hair is curly, that it's some sign of being ugly in itself.
    And you know, I'm really not totally sold on the sandwich idea. They're kind of traditional, I know I said that, don't question me about that, but they aren't really all that chic, you know? --fig jam
  • BrilligBrillig Posts: 8Registered Users
    When I was in high school, I cut my hair really, really short. One day I had shed a hair on my shoulder (as is bound to happen) and my friend picked it up and said "Omg it's short, black and curly. IT'S A PUBE!!!" and so my friends called me **** and soon other people picked up on it.

One time-before I knew how to take care of my hair and so I brushed it out and made it big- my cousin said I looked like a gorilla.

When I was 12 we moved from Brooklyn, NY to a small town in Arkansas where the white and black populations were really segregated. We lived in the "white" part of town and I was one of 5 non-white kids in my junior high. One time I was standing in line at the grocery store with my mom and a little kid behind me pointed and said,"Mommy why is her hair like that?" and her mother replied, "Because she doesn't wash it". I ended up crying on the way home. I'm multi-racial and I've had many, many people suggest to me that if I just straightened my hair, I wouldn't look so "ethnic".
    Thin 3C-ish curls
    If you want to see 'em, password is jabberwocky.

weight.png
    Brillig wrote:
    When I was in high school, I cut my hair really, really short. One day I had shed a hair on my shoulder (as is bound to happen) and my friend picked it up and said "Omg it's short, black and curly. IT'S A PUBE!!!" and so my friends called me &%$@#! and soon other people picked up on it.

One time-before I knew how to take care of my hair and so I brushed it out and made it big- my cousin said I looked like a gorilla.

When I was 12 we moved from Brooklyn, NY to a small town in Arkansas where the white and black populations were really segregated. We lived in the "white" part of town and I was one of 5 non-white kids in my junior high. One time I was standing in line at the grocery store with my mom and a little kid behind me pointed and said,"Mommy why is her hair like that?" and her mother replied, "Because she doesn't wash it". I ended up crying on the way home. I'm multi-racial and I've had many, many people suggest to me that if I just straightened my hair, I wouldn't look so "ethnic".

That's terrible! I feel so bad for you. :cry: I know what it's like to be 'different' and to have the supposedly normal people deliberately misunderstand you. I'm sorry that you heard those things; people are so cruel. :evil:

• fluffywonderdoodlefluffywonderdoodle Posts: 316Registered Users
    Reading all of your stories, I feel lucky, I haven't had too many negatives remarks about my curly hair! The ones I have had though-

"Why don't you straighten your hair more often? It's so pretty that way!" tons of people say that to me... grr.. and then my best friend says to me "i guess you're just too lazy huh?" :evil: agh! sometimes people will toss little peices of crumpled paper into my hair because it sticks which is really annoying. ALL the time, people say "ohh you have a 'fro!" which is obviously not true, i have 3b curls that are very fine. people "boing" my curls a lot too, which doesn't really bother me but they don't understand my hair can't be touched too much or it will get frizzy!

also, it seems i get tons of compliments on my straight hair but not that often on my curly hair. :(
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    I have always had curly hair, but my mom would try to brush it out every morning. I would cry every single time.

I usually wore my hair wavy and frizzy, as straighteners didn't exist when I was in high school. I used a curling iron to "straighten" my hair for prom! In college, I realized I had always had curly hair that had been trapped in a ponytail for years so I wore it curly and bought products for the first time. My college friends loved it, but one day when I was working I relapsed into that terrible mental state of junior high (where kids said I didn't have "hair," I just had "frizz"). As a pre-school teacher, I had very sweet students. One girl (4 years old) had stick straight hair and loved my curly locks. Then one day she told me that her mom had told her that I didn't brush my hair and that's why "it looked like that."

What's funny about that incident is that I felt like we had the same mothers. This incident actually propelled me to straighten my hair the next week and received lots of compliments for the last few years whenever it's straight.

Other wonderful comments--

From a co-worker: "I have curly hair but only wear it that way when I feel like being lazy." Same co-worker: "You could be a white Beyonce for Halloween."

Another co-worker: "Are you going for the 80s look today?"

My cousin's wife saw a picture of me with straight hair and said to me, "You look like a model with straight hair. You should wear it like that."

Hairdresser: "You have a ton of hair. I hear that when people get pregnant their curls naturally relax and change texture. So there's hope for you!"

In junior high: "Your hair is ugly." Also I got the name "Poof Poof." And the kids who tried to throw junk into my hair thinking I wouldn't feel it.

Now I'm in my mid-20s, and one of my students said, "Wow, how do you manage all of that hair?" And then giggled to her friend.

Also, last Christmas my mom actually stopped taking the family picture to have me go to the mirror and "tame the afro." The tears began forming, and I felt embarrassed that it still affects me so much. When my mom met me for lunch last month she said, "Well I'm sooo glad you tried to fix your hair when I take you out to lunch (sarcasm). Don't you own a comb? It looks like a mop. Did you bring a rubberband?"

What's sad is that I actually believe the comments in a way. I still wear it curly a lot, but I'd like to be confident enough to wear it curly everyday. I also don't understand why people act like it's my fault that my hair is curly, that it's some sign of being ugly in itself.

I'm sorry but you're story makes me smile. When you wrote that your mother said "tame the afro" it made think of a sitcom or a movie. also the fact that you're a preschool teacher is very interesting. I guess I'm saying that you're a very good writer, maybe you should consider writing a book about your life? I would read it.
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
  • kcckcc Posts: 681Registered Users
    Thanks, keiko. Don't be sorry, I'm glad it made you smile! That's why I posted it here. It was a bit excessive (like my hair), but I think I've been looking for a place like this to release it all.

I did leave the pre-k gig after college, and I'm teaching English to HS kids right now. Although I've learned that HS kids are just really tall 4 year olds.

I have thought of writing a book someday, always been my dream. Maybe I should listen to you...my mom is definitely like a character you would see in a movie. I do love her and consider her a really great friend, ever since I realized she's just a human being who has no filter with her kids. Happy to hear I might have someone somewhere who would read it!
    And you know, I'm really not totally sold on the sandwich idea. They're kind of traditional, I know I said that, don't question me about that, but they aren't really all that chic, you know? --fig jam
  • alaskabellealaskabelle Posts: 216Registered Users
    I am 29 years old. I have very, very fine curly hair. In the 80's when I was a kid, moussed perms were all the rage, so my hair was stylish. When I was in high school--I think this was one day in 1995 when I was too "lazy" to straighten my hair--a popular boy on the basketball team said, "what happened to your hair?"

My mom insisted that I have short hair cuts and always asked the stylist to "thin it out." Must have been a self-fullfilling prophecy, because now I feel like my hair is too thin.

One of my friends, who has straight hair and lived in Hawaii for ten years and so it is dark, silky, straight, and grows down to her behind, said, "you should get it chemically straightened."

But about a year ago, I was on a long car camping trip with my boyfriend and my hair was dirty and curly from the humidity....and I sprayed it kind of big and he said he thought it looked hot.

I like my curly hair. I just wish it were thicker and grew faster! Anytime I trim the split ends off, I feel like I have no hair anymore (it has been just past shoulder length for about 2 years and does not seem to go anywhere).
    3aFii, ?/26/36+ (wet)
    CG since 5-29-07
    Current condish: Nature's Gate Aloe & Regis Cherry Almond
  • marymicrogrammarymicrogram Posts: 1Registered Users
    As yet another curly girl whose mother made her sit through hours of painful, frizz-inducing brushing, I hate it when well-meaning people suggest that I brush my hair. I was staying with a friend in Bombay over the summer, and one night when I complimented her on her hair while she was brushing it, she said “If you brushed your hair once in a while, it could look as beautiful as mine.”

Seriously. Straight-haired people are lunatics. :roll:

And then there was my dad, who stared at me pensively for awhile and then said “Why does your hair stick together like that? You should brush it some more so that it doesn't get so, you know, clumpy." He then proceeded to rake his fingers through my hair, looking confused.

Oh, and my crush in Middle School said “You have a pretty face, but that hair!”
    Not that he tried to convince me to brush it. Just, ouch.
  • Tay-TayTay-Tay Posts: 5Registered Users
    Unfortunately, I have struggled with having curly hair for most of my life, until recently... I inherited my thick curls from my dad's side of the family. My mom (who has straight hair) has always LOVED my curls and has always been very supportive of them and thankfully, has never tried to brush them out or straighten them. She likes my curly hair a whole lot more than I do! :lol: Anyway, even though my mom supported my curly hair, I still got some pretty hurtful comments over the years... I never got any mean comments when I was little, but middle school was when I really started to notice that my hair was different, and I hated it. I never wore my hair down for 5 years; ponytail everyday, and brushed out, so it looked very frizzy... I had no idea what to do with my hair. It made me have low self-esteem, and as a result I became (and still am, to some extent) very shy. Once in 4th grade a popular guy made a comment about how I wore my hair the same way every single day, so I wore it down one day and he just said "Ugh, you were better off doing the same everyday!!!!" Of course, that was back before I knew how to properly style my hair and I'm sure it didn't look so great, but still... In 7th and 8th grade, girls would CONSTANTLY try to straighten my hair at sleepovers and such, but I never allowed it... One girl would always make a comment like "If there is one person in our whole school I would like to tackle with a flat iron sometime and see what they'd look like with straight hair, it's Taylor!!" In 7th grade I finally wore my hair down one day. I was sitting in my seat, and one of my guy friends came up behind me and started lifting up my hair and running his fingers all through it while saying, "UGH! There's just SO much of it!!!!" :oops: So this past year I left middle school, changed schools, and started high school. For the first month or so, I wore my signature frizzy ponytail... Then one day during homecoming week, I decided to straighten it. Everyone was in shock and kept saying how great my hair looked. I was convinced that straight hair was much better after that day, so for the next two months I spent 2 hours every morning straightening it. :? People from my old school that would see me from time to time were completely in awe, and my old friends told me I should have let them straighten it at those sleepovers a long time ago... However, I felt uncomfortable by these comments. I knew they were saying that they didn't like the way my natural hair looked. My hair was becomming increasingly damaged and fried from the flat iron, so when I came across this site, I tried to embrace my natural curls. It was hard at first, with people asking me why I didn't straighten it anymore and telling me that it looked better straightened, but now I am completely accepting of my curls! It gets hard sometimes because one of my best friends calls me "poodle", but I am finally loving my curls! :D Although there are still rude remarks made about my hair from time to time. In the locker room before P.E., I was asked by one of the girls about my hair routine. When I told her I didn't brush my hair and only combed it out when it was wet, she freaked out and started called me gross for not brushing my hair. =/ I spent the night with my grandparents recently and had my hair up in a cute, curly ponytail. When it was almost time to leave, my grandmother said "Hold on, I am NOT letting you go home to your mother with your hair messy and unbrushed like that!" I tried to explain to her that it was just in a curly ponytail (which I had thought looked really great!), but she still made me go to the bathroom and brush it... which turned it into a ball of frizz. She went on to say that it wasn't much better, but it was still better than that rat's nest I had before. Ironically, this was the grandmother that I inherited my curls from, but she cuts it short and does so much crap to her hair that it just looks like a giant poofball on the top of her head. :roll:
    I'm a 16 year old teen who has finally accepted her natural curls! ;)
  • oywidapoodlesoywidapoodles Posts: 22Registered Users
    It's pretty upsetting to hear those stories, Tay-Tay. :hug: But I'm so glad you've acceppted your curls! It's actually pretty brave.

I don't remember any real insults, but I know there have been some. I'm good at repressing things. I'm in a family of people with straight hair, (We think my curls are from my grandmoher that I never met.) so I've been envied by my mom, which is pretty much flattery. In middle school (when I brushed it, a major reason it looked... not great) was definitely when I started doubting my hair though, cause it's when everyone else started using flat-irons and such. In the first few monthsof seventh grade I remember someone (one of my friends) saying something about how I should straighten it. I never did, mostly because if I asked my mom for a flat-iron, she'd probably break her jaw on the floor.

I ended up wearing it in a ponytail the rest of the year (after one comment? yes, I'm incredibly sensitive). And at one point I put gel on the top of my head to smooth down the frizz (and shorter curls), and then I'm asked "What'd you do to your hair?" which I guess could be construed as a complament to my natural hair, but I'm not that positive.

Then in eighth and ninth grade, I find my hair impossible and way too frizzy and evil, and cry at least once a week over it. Still wore it in a ponytail pretty much everyday through the first half of tenth grade, and I found the CG method a little over a month ago, and now I only put it in a ponytail or bun when I'm hot or funnily enough when I'm eating.

Yes, my hair, the opinions of others, and probably just as influential as people I know's opinion, ad's for straightening products, actresses and models straightening their hair, makeover shows, and just pop-culture in general have all pretty much messed with my brain. I'm through my depression, but still really shy. I'm sure time and more compliments on my hair can change that!
  • IsolindeIsolinde Posts: 32Registered Users
    I'm truly amazed at the comments people make... When I was reading Curly Girl, all the stories like this made me curious as to whether most people deal with it.

The closest I've ever come to a 'hurtful' comment is when an ex-coworker told me on a day that I'd blown my hair straight that it looked 'better than usual'. I didn't really care about her opinion to begin with (pin-straight hair, very damaged bleach blonde...), so the comment didn't affect me at all. I suppose my adopted mother knowing nothing about curls and teaching me to use a paddle brush on my hair all the time was bad... and the constant complaints from her that my hair was like 'a rat's nest', even though the things she taught me were what made it that way... but she didn't really know any better.

Most of the time, all I hear is how gorgeous my hair is. And that was before starting the CG routine; it looks much better now, just a week later. I'm so excited to see where better haircare takes me. :)
  • Paul TownsendPaul Townsend Posts: 56Registered Users
    The recent ribbing I had about my hair was from one of the ladies at the cash-and-carry warehouse in the same building as our office.

"A customer brought this back saying it didn't work, could we try it on you?"

I took one look at the box she was holding up, and recoiled in terror.

HAIR STRAIGHTENER :D
  • curlykat:]curlykat:] Posts: 12Registered Users
    the other day one of my friends said i needed to sort my hair out, which i took offence to grr. and a few years back, i was argueing with my best friend and she yelled GET A HAIRBRUSH at me.
    aah, nice people.. :x xx
    2C/3A :)

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
  • LittleLisaLittleLisa Posts: 16Registered Users
    People always tried to pull my hair in school when I was little,
    and then let go of it and say "Boing!" or something like that as it bounced back :x
    LiSA
    copper-red, 3a corkscrews
    addicted to Fructis Curl&Shine Mousse :D

link to photos on flickr on profile
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Not that I'm condoning being rude to people and knocking their self-esteem, but I wonder how these straight haired people who have always made their "oh so helpful" comments about our hair would feel if we started dishing it back to them. If we said to them "too bad your hair is not curly like MINE"!! Personally I've always looked at my hair as talented hair, meaning anyone's hair can just lay flat and straight, but our hair makes curls, you add water and gel (mousse, whatever your styling product of choice is) and you get curls. After a long love/hate relationship with my hair, I read the "Curly Girl" book by Lorraine Massey and haven't straightened my hair since!!! I think we should all take a stand and not straighten our hair and stand up to people who make their comments!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file