I think it tiime to give up

anonymous_1037anonymous_1037 Posts: 213Registered Users
So I co washed my hair today after flat larifying it. I then put in a leave in, when my hair dried a litle i put some moisturizer in it. The hair was soft for a litte bit, then it went straight back to being dry. I dn't think natural hair is for me, I cannot bush my hair when it wet. It looks dry and dull all the time. Braid outs and bantu knots don't work with my hair. I think I am getting a perm this weekend. Thank you ladies for all your help, I really did want to be natural but it's just not working for me.

Comments

• legette68legette68 Posts: 216Registered Users
    Maybe it is the products you are using. Don't give up so soon. How long have you been transitioning?
    Thick, coarse 3C hair:coffee:
    BC Feb 2009/ relaxer free since 06/08
    Second time around!

http://public.fotki.com/legette68
  • anonymous_1037anonymous_1037 Posts: 213Registered Users
    I have been transitioning for about a year. I use Elucence shampoo once in two weeks. Co wash with VO5 DURING THE WEEK. Use Elucence leave in conditioner. Hair Mayo as a deep conditioning treatment. Shea butter and tea tree oil as a moisturizer.
  • denisemouniedenisemounie Posts: 255Registered Users
    Organics Hair Mayo will dry your hair out! I've used it and it dries out my hair. It also has a lot of protein and if you over do it on protein, your hair will feel dry and crispy. I've the majority of the Organics line and have determined that those products don't work. Instead try doing a deep treatment using a conditioner WITHOUT 'cones and heavy protein. You might have protein build up. I like Blended Beauty's Curl Quenching Condish. I add Olive oil and coconut oil and sit under a soft bonnet dryer for 30mins. I feel you on the dry, hard hair. My hair use to be that way BEFORE I started using natural products (My Honey Child) and products w/o 'cones. Read the labels carefully! Some things claim to be natural are really not. Also, you may have to spend more money on quality products. :cry: I know, that part sucks, but I for one enjoy healthy hair and spending $5 or more dollars is totally worth it in the long run. Also, if you should consider cutting off the perm. The two textures mixed together will make you think that your hair isn't healthy. Just cut it girl!! :P You have a year's worth of growth!! Your natural texture (w/o chemical ends) will feel soo much better! And then you will be able to identify your hair type. Also, shea butter and tea tree oil alone may not be enough to moisturize. You hair is probably very thirsty and will suck that right up. Try the deep treatments with a different conditioner (may be start off by doing 2 a week) and see how your hair feels. You will have to re-train your hair.

Also, after you co-wash with VO5 you should use a more moisturizing conditioner and let it sit for a few mins and then rinse and style. VO5 is not nourshing enough to use alone. My hair needs constant moisture, so I add jojoba oil to my VO5 and then use BB Curl Queching afterwards. At the end of the week, I will deep treat. When I first start DTs, i didn't shampoo. instead i used BB [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Volcanic-Clean-Mask-p-379.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-volcanic-clean-mask]Volcanic Clean Mask[/buylink] (its a clay gentle cleanser and conditioner) this stuff made my hair super soft and helped to get my hair back on track. After the clay treatment, I would DT under the dryer.

I say all of this to say, don't give up! You've just have to experiment with GOOD products and see what you hair likes (but it will be hard to tell if you keep those relaxed ends... which could be cause split ends and damaging your natural hair!)

GOOD LUCK!! :P
    4a/4b... at this point, Henna has to be my friend, cause I've tried EVERYTHING else!!

Henna, Afro Detangler, KBB hair cream, Vitamin E oil, Qhemet AOHC, AND no more letting my hair dry curly... darn knots are driving me crazy!!:happy7:

http://public.fotki.com/denisemounie/
  • denisemouniedenisemounie Posts: 255Registered Users
    Organics Hair Mayo will dry your hair out! I've used it and it dries out my hair. It also has a lot of protein and if you over do it on protein, your hair will feel dry and crispy. I've tried the majority of the Organics line and have determined that those products don't work. Instead try doing a deep treatment using a conditioner WITHOUT 'cones and heavy protein. You might have protein build up. I like Blended Beauty's Curl Quenching Condish. I add Olive oil and coconut oil and sit under a soft bonnet dryer for 30mins. I feel you on the dry, hard hair. My hair use to be that way BEFORE I started using natural products (My Honey Child) and products w/o 'cones. Read the labels carefully! Some things claim to be natural are really not. Also, you may have to spend more money on quality products. :cry: I know, that part sucks, but I for one enjoy healthy hair and spending $5 or more dollars is totally worth it in the long run. Also, if you should consider cutting off the perm. The two textures mixed together will make you think that your hair isn't healthy. Just cut it girl!! :P You have a year's worth of growth!! Your natural texture (w/o chemical ends) will feel soo much better! And then you will be able to identify your hair type. Also, shea butter and tea tree oil alone may not be enough to moisturize. You hair is probably very thirsty and will suck that right up. Try the deep treatments with a different conditioner (may be start off by doing 2 a week) and see how your hair feels. You will have to re-train your hair.

Also, after you co-wash with VO5 you should use a more moisturizing conditioner and let it sit for a few mins and then rinse and style. VO5 is not nourshing enough to use alone. My hair needs constant moisture, so I add jojoba oil to my VO5 and then use BB Curl Queching afterwards. At the end of the week, I will deep treat. When I first start DTs, i didn't shampoo. instead i used BB [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Volcanic-Clean-Mask-p-379.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-volcanic-clean-mask]Volcanic Clean Mask[/buylink] (its a clay gentle cleanser and conditioner) this stuff made my hair super soft and helped to get my hair back on track. After the clay treatment, I would DT under the dryer.

I say all of this to say, don't give up! You've just have to experiment with GOOD products and see what you hair likes (but it will be hard to tell if you keep those relaxed ends... which could be cause split ends and damaging your natural hair!)

GOOD LUCK!! :P
    4a/4b... at this point, Henna has to be my friend, cause I've tried EVERYTHING else!!

Henna, Afro Detangler, KBB hair cream, Vitamin E oil, Qhemet AOHC, AND no more letting my hair dry curly... darn knots are driving me crazy!!:happy7:

http://public.fotki.com/denisemounie/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file