Carrying Baby Slings?

deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Can someone tell me the name of those long pieces of fabric that you use as carriers... Liam is getting up there in lbs.. so I could use some help

~d
Liam: 6 years old
Colin: 3 years old

Comments

• deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    NM... I did some searching and found the "Maya Wrap".... looks a bit complicated.. Does anyone have one?

D
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    the maya wrap is just the most well known because it's a huge company but there are many ring slings out there that are just as good if not better. Personally, I'm not crazy about the heft of the rings on the maya wrap and the way the shoulder is folded.

Check out this site:
    http://www.sleepingbaby.net/

she's expecting #3 right now so limiting her production but does have other companies listed on her links page. I like her shoulder design because it spreads out on its own when you wear it so no adjusting and when I had mine made it was in a silk dupioni that I prewashed to make soft and washable. It was breathable but strong.

Also, if nothing else her illustrated instruction page on the site is great. The first couple of times you may feel awkward but rest assured the learning curve is short.

Deedle have you considered contacting the DC babywearing group? In your area the group is very active and you will have someone well versed in babywearing teach you how to use various slings and carriers during a meeting without having to buy and return a bunch. I highly recommend it.

Also, www.peppermint.com is a great site for both comparing/buying carriers and seeing pictures of how to use them.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Is this why my lower back is hurting so bad??? Chas is almost 21 pounds. I never thought about using a sling to help with the weight.
    definitely! LOL I carry Ryan in a pouch and I'm pretty sure he's over 25lbs if not more (I can't remember how much the last time he was weighed, I know bad mom!).

The couple of times I've forgotten the carrier and carried him just for 10 minutes or so I can definitely tell the difference. Also, we don't use the stroller. I have a fancy schmancy stroller that I've kept in the garage but find packing a pouch in my diaper bag so much easier especially since I don't have to maneuver the stroller inside places or keep after an almost 4 year old while also pushing the stroller.
    Is this why my lower back is hurting so bad??? Chas is almost 21 pounds. I never thought about using a sling to help with the weight.

Yep! but for me its my arms!!

PS: Any crawling yet? Liam is starting a "comando crawl" sorta and trying to pull up on the coffee table (doesn't quite do it) I can stand him up and put his hands on the table and he stays there for a bit! but no table surfing yet

D

Deedle have you considered contacting the DC babywearing group? In your area the group is very active and you will have someone well versed in babywearing teach you how to use various slings and carriers during a meeting without having to buy and return a bunch. I highly recommend it.

Also, www.peppermint.com is a great site for both comparing/buying carriers and seeing pictures of how to use them.

I will have to contact them! Thanks!! :)
    deedles, sorry I just realized I missed posting the group link - this is the NINO group:

http://www.nineinnineout.org/

IC - it looks like there are 4 groups in texas too
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    deedles wrote:

PS: Any crawling yet? Liam is starting a "comando crawl" sorta and trying to pull up on the coffee table (doesn't quite do it) I can stand him up and put his hands on the table and he stays there for a bit! but no table surfing yet

D

We are commando crawling as well. He's also a very good belly spinner to head in the right direction. :lol: He has attempted to pull up on the coffee table but thankfully hasn't managed. I can stand him up there but he starts to jump...therefore I have to hold on to him otherwise he'd take a good fall. No table surfing here.

Is Liam quick yet to go from sitting to crawling position? Chas isn't that fast unless there is something he wants. He'll sit for a long time and play. I think once he starts crawling better...this will be over.

Have you added any safety stuff to the house yet? We're going to need stuff for the plugs...I can already tell. He heads right too them.
    deedles wrote:

D

We are commando crawling as well. He's also a very good belly spinner to head in the right direction. :lol: He has attempted to pull up on the coffee table but thankfully hasn't managed. I can stand him up there but he starts to jump...therefore I have to hold on to him otherwise he'd take a good fall. No table surfing here.

Is Liam quick yet to go from sitting to crawling position? Chas isn't that fast unless there is something he wants. He'll sit for a long time and play. I think once he starts crawling better...this will be over.

Have you added any safety stuff to the house yet? We're going to need stuff for the plugs...I can already tell. He heads right too them.

Liam doesn't jump when we stand him up on the table.. I was thinking of getting him a "Jolly Jumper" to help get the leg muscles going...

No, no safety stuff yet but I am sure pretty soon! He's already starting to make a b-line for the wires and stuff and I am hoping to convince DH to get them organized behind the TV.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I like African slings (where slings originate). My sister and brother in law brought me several when they were in Nigeria at Christmas, but you can probably get them in African clothing stores. African women do manual work all day with babies in slings, so they must be comfortable and functional.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I found a Maya sling (not the wrap) on eBay for $20--we washed it upon receiving it (covered with pet hair--yuck) and I liked it. I also noticed that the baby section of the Target had hotslings for sale. It's definitely becoming more mainstream. My daughter fought the sling when she got older and more mobile, so I'm not sure if it'll work for every kid, but it's worth a shot. :)
  • curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    I personally like Mei Tais for big babies/toddlers because they distribute the weight better and can be used in many different ways (front, back, side).
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I want something stylish and comfortable. Any suggestions? I have the Maya from baby #1. I'm ready for something new. Something stylish. Did I say stylish already? :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I have a moby in stretchy black cotton, a ellaroo in a garnet red and an organic natural cotton karmababy sling.

stretchy cotton feels nice. the ellaroo feels more sturdy - like it will last for a long time.

I'm not crazy about my sling right now - I think it's because the little sir can't hold his head up. I think I'd use it more once he gets bigger.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    medussa wrote:
    I want something stylish and comfortable. Any suggestions? I have the Maya from baby #1. I'm ready for something new. Something stylish. Did I say stylish already? :D

First you need to decide what type of carrier you want. Marielle posted a link to some super-stylish ring slings. Hotslings are very stylish as far as pouches go. And there are stylish mei tais out there as well.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    I would highly recommend getting a sling. There are a number of different brands

Peanut Shell
    Little Stars (Canadian company)
    Hotslings - can be a little $$

I would highly recommend either getting fitted at a store by someone who knows what they're doing - or going to a babywearing group. They have one in most large cities - and it gives you the chance to try a variety of different carriers (sling, wrap, ring-sling) to find the one the works for you.

For examply - the Hotslings do not work for DS and I - but my friend and her 9 month old are very content with their Hotsling.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    geeky wrote:
    medussa wrote:

First you need to decide what type of carrier you want. Marielle posted a link to some super-stylish ring slings. Hotslings are very stylish as far as pouches go. And there are stylish mei tais out there as well.

Thanks, Geeky. I like the Hotslings a lot. The idea of a pouch is very nice. Plus I like some of the patterns.

I remember seeing these wrap style slings in Asian patterns. They looked sort of like satin. They were beautiful. Could they have been the mei tais?
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote:
    geeky wrote:
    medussa wrote:

Thanks, Geeky. I like the Hotslings a lot. The idea of a pouch is very nice. Plus I like some of the patterns.

I remember seeing these wrap style slings in Asian patterns. They looked sort of like satin. They were beautiful. Could they have been the mei tais?

I think they might have been mei tais...I remember seeing satin-like materials for the mei-tais.

I had a Hotsling and I HATED it. Maybe it was just me, as I couldn't get the hold of using a sling...or maybe it was the baby. She hated the Bjorn carrier too. With my first, I didn't use either one.
    :rambo:
    medussa - I think you and geeky are thinking about the Zolowear slings & pouches I mentioned before. She started off making the satin/silk ring slings and now does pouches too.

http://zolowear.com/Default.aspx

As far as pouches, I think the key is finding the right fit. I know people rave about the New Native pouches but they only come in 3 sizes and are bound to be a bad fit on most people. A pouch, sling or carrier should position the baby so that he is sitting above your waist and snug against your chest so that the weight is distributed evenly on your upper body and your back doesn't feel strained. If the baby is too low or too far and loose from the parent you will be stooping in no time. Also, all fabric should be spread out across the back so that it doesn't dig into one spot (the same for mei tais, and wraps). Pouches are harder to fit even when a manufacturer gives measurements due to differences in builds, breast size and abdomen bulk. LOL
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I've seen silk mei tais also. Mei Tai Baby, Freehand and Sachi all make silk brocade ones.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • RedheadedcurlsRedheadedcurls Posts: 210Registered Users
    I use a Maya wrap for my soon to be 3 mo old son and LOVE it. So much better than traditional carriers. I actually like the ring because it helps keep the wrap in place and I can adjust the fabric on the shoulder for more support.
    3a/3b~Currently: V05 Kiwi Lime/Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint for co wash, Suave Aloe or V05 Strawberries and Cream for co and leave-in, Burts Bees Super Shiny poo, EMBS, CK, re:coil, B&A/LA Looks Sport

PW: curls
  • Swirlycurly ChemistSwirlycurly Chemist Posts: 335Registered Users
    Ergo and Sutemi carriers are really nice for bigger kids, and work well into toddler age usually.
    3A canopy with 3B underneath
    Low poo, not afraid of amine-based silicones or polyquats, silk proteins are good as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file