Grow out challenge - Ends May 2008

mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I decided that I wanted to continue this wonderful thread that Maya started a while back. Her grow out challenge is done (Maya your hair is absolutely gorgeous) and I'm hoping that everybody will support one another through this transitioning period. Its not going to be easy, but its not impossible. If you put your heart into it you can do it too!

You can see my results on my Fotki hair album. This one ends in May 2008. I can hardly wait!

Anyone can join at anytime. It's up to you how you approach this challenge. It's a place for you to post your progress and get some support. Have fun and good luck! Very Happy (words taken from Maya's thread).

:wink:
- Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Comments

• Libra08Libra08 Posts: 242Registered Users
    Count me in!!! I'm kinda transitioning....from a pressed to all natural hair. Pressing my hair since 8th grade (I'm going to the 12 this august) has left it straight in a lot of places and looks relaxed so I'm starting over from scratch to get rid of all this straight hair. I'm going to cut off 1-1.5 inches every three months to get rid of the straight hair as suggested by TooSweet (sp). I'm hoping to have shoulder length all natural hair by next May and whatever straight hair is left I'm going to chop it off. I'm planning on buying some vitamins some time soon, but I'm a poor high school student right now so I don't know when I'm going to have the money to buy some and limit straightening my hair to once every three months with a ceramic flat iron only for trims. Are there any rules for this grow out challenge? I'm soo excited now :D I noticed you said you were Dominican. I'm Mixican! (yes i did say MIXican) Go Latinas!
    comic-p.jpg
  • legette68legette68 Posts: 216Registered Users
    Count me in too! I am six months into my transitioning process. I can 't wait to see the results!!!
    Thick, coarse 3C hair:coffee:
    BC Feb 2009/ relaxer free since 06/08
    Second time around!

http://public.fotki.com/legette68
    I have a question. I want to post pictures of my hair while transitioning to view my progress. Do you have family and friends take pictures or do you do it yourselves. I tried doing it myself but it doesn't come out too good. Any suggestions?
    Second time around!

• LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    mariag002 wrote:
    I decided that I wanted to continue this wonderful thread that Maya started a while back. Her grow out challenge is done (Maya your hair is absolutely gorgeous) and I'm hoping that everybody will support one another through this transitioning period. Its not going to be easy, but its not impossible. If you put your heart into it you can do it too!

You can see my results on my Fotki hair album. This one ends in May 2008. I can hardly wait!

Anyone can join at anytime. It's up to you how you approach this challenge. It's a place for you to post your progress and get some support. Have fun and good luck! Very Happy (words taken from Maya's thread).

:wink:

Oh, super!!! I am so happy that you are doing a challenge thread. I did it for 2 years and I am so happy that you started up a new one! I guess I will be joining since I started one by myself at the beginning of the month. So good timing. I need to do this for 2 more years before I reach goal. So count me in! 8) Thanks for the compliment! :)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What do you do on a growout challenge that you wouldn't ordinarily do to take care of your hair? What's involved? What exactly is the challenge/are you challenging? I'm interested, just confused/don't know enough.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    What do you do on a growout challenge that you wouldn't ordinarily do to take care of your hair? What's involved? What exactly is the challenge/are you challenging? I'm interested, just confused/don't know enough.

For more info. check out last's years Growout Challenge Last year's challenge

Basically, it just a support thread for curlies who want to grow their hair. The challenge is up to you. No cutting for a year, trimming while growing, vitamins, support with bad hair days, etc.. The first of every month you post your progress.
    mariag002, will be supervising this thread. I did it for 2 years and got over 10 inches of growths. :)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl

event.png
    Ladydncing wrote:

For more info. check out last's years Growout Challenge Last year's challenge

Basically, it just a support thread for curlies who want to grow their hair. The challenge is up to you. No cutting for a year, trimming while growing, vitamins, support with bad hair days, etc.. The first of every month you post your progress.
    mariag002, will be supervising this thread. I did it for 2 years and got over 10 inches of growths. :)

That is wonderful growth! What were the important things you did to support it? and do you think you would have gotten different results without the challenge? Were there times during the challenge that you were disappointed or stressed out by the results or the process?
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Yeah, the challenge did help me a lot. I felt committed. If I felt that if I was having a bad day, I would post my challenge and hopefully someone will shed light on me. My challenge was no cutting for one year, vitamins, CG routine and monthly DT. Did you check out last years post, just skim through it and you'll get an idea.
    BTW, I love love your hair. You have the most adorable curls and it so suits you! 8)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl

event.png
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    well, you can definitely count me in. i've got about 2 inches or so of new growth so far! my goal for 2008 is chin length curls or if my hair allows it, shoulder length, but it grows kinda slow so... we'll see.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm so glad people are posting :D
    Maya, your hair is gorgeous! How much longer would you like to have it?

My goal for this year is to cut it twice by 2008 and not cave in to getting a relaxer. I would like to have at least 10 inches of growth by May 2008 since by then it'll be 18 months.

Libra, yes I am Dominican. My mom tried to talk me into getting a relaxer the other day. I said, no thanks I'm all set LOL Easy for her to suggest since she has straight hair.

Oh and to the person who asked the question about pictures... I took my pictures in front of the mirror. I know I could ask my son to take the pictures if I wanted to, but I would prefer to do it myself.
    - Maria

• UhhhhlaynaUhhhhlayna Posts: 20Registered Users
    Yay!! I'm down with the challenge. It should be fun!!!

event.png
    mariag002 wrote:
    I'm so glad people are posting :D
    Maya, your hair is gorgeous! How much longer would you like to have it?

My goal for this year is to cut it twice by 2008 and not cave in to getting a relaxer. I would like to have at least 10 inches of growth by May 2008 since by then it'll be 18 months.

Libra, yes I am Dominican. My mom tried to talk me into getting a relaxer the other day. I said, no thanks I'm all set LOL Easy for her to suggest since she has straight hair.

Oh and to the person who asked the question about pictures... I took my pictures in front of the mirror. I know I could ask my son to take the pictures if I wanted to, but I would prefer to do it myself.

Thanks for the compliment! My goal is is BSL when curly, which means probably close to waist length when wet. Darn shrinkage! :evil:
    I think that I may reach goal in about 1½-2 years.
    The hardest part for me was not giving in to the relaxer. It took me 7 years! I had my last relaxer in 2003. So, I understand your temptation.
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl

event.png
    Is anybody else feeling this way?... I find myself depressed because I look in the mirror and I see this mess of a hair on my head. I am transitioning and this is the hardest thing I've ever done. I just feel so ugly, I have no idea how to do my hair, and I have been gaining weight plus I don't wear make-up anymore. yeah yeah I'm being a tad dramatic. To add to my sadness, my company is going through a reorganization and I moved away from my family to a city 20 miles away so I'm sure that's contributing to this.

I always knew that getting my hair done put me in a great mood, but I NEVER knew that my hair had so much power over how I felt overall as a woman. I know my husband is getting tired of "reminding me" how beautiful I am. I said to him this morning "Jeesh I dont' feel very beautiful" LOL

On the bright side, I play with my curls all day. I can't stop touching my natural hair! I touch my relaxed ends and I cringe. Somebody suggested I do the big chop. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up doing just that. I am waiting for at least 5 inches of hair. Oh good Lord LOL :lol:
    - Maria

Girl, Put on some makeup and make yourself fierce!!! :D
    I wear my hair in a ponytail everyday since transitioing. But now since my face is more exposed I play up my eyes and do my whole face. Think Sade. Wear a beautiful color gloss or lip stick. Girl show the world how fierce you are. And hit the gym (if you can). Let people see the beautiful Domincan that you are.
    Second time around!

• midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You know, I felt the exact same way during those few weeks before I finally decided to just go through with the BC. My problem was, I just felt like my relaxed hair was holding me back, and while I had a problem with the fact that I only had 2 inches of new growth, it was simply a matter of just doing it (and getting it over with)!

Some people can wait until they're hair grows out a little longer, but I have absolutely no patience for all that. :D However, you may be one of those people, it just sounds like you need a little bit of a change as opposed to a drastic one.

I would suggest exactly what legette68 suggested: go out and buy some new eyeshadow or some new lipgloss so you'll be in the mood to wear makeup again. Another thing I think may help is looking at updo hairstyle books/magazines and trying out some new stuff.

When my hair was long enough to bun, I tried every bun combination that ever existed. I used to twist small sections of my ponytail and pin them into a design, braid sections and wrap them around the base of my ponytail... Once I even made a bow (like a bow-tie) out of my ponytail because I saw it in a fashion magazine and figured it was worth a try. It wasn't that hard and everybody loved it. Side parts are another thing that help change up any hairstyle. You've just got to get inspired, is all.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
    Thank you ladies *hugz*
    I appreciate your kindness. I took your advice and this morning I did my hair, slapped some red hijadelagranputa lipstick on and I got alot of compliments. Something I haven't received in a while LOL A few of my African American friends at work were asking me about my transition and I'm hoping to make a few of them go back to natural.

Sorry about the whining and pitty party yesterday! I re-read my post and cringed LOL :lol:
    - Maria

• kdcreighkdcreigh Posts: 736Registered Users
    Do you have to do the CG routine to be in on the challenge? If not, count me in! If so, I'll 'unofficially' be in! :lol:

I'm going through another hormonal change - I recently had my third child and am experiencing the usual post-partum hair shedding. I also had some hairling breakage as a result of braiding my hair for 5 years.

I just cut off about one an one half curly inches - for me that's more than 3 straight inches!

I'm starting over again, although I've been natural for over 5 years.
    YES WE CAN!

kdcreigh 4a and b (who knows?:dontknow:)

Relegated to occasional lurking in order to keep the PJ in check!
    :lurk:

http://public.fotki.com/kdcreigh/
    PW: natural
    kdcreigh wrote:
    Do you have to do the CG routine to be in on the challenge? If not, count me in! If so, I'll 'unofficially' be in! :lol:

I'm going through another hormonal change - I recently had my third child and am experiencing the usual post-partum hair shedding. I also had some hairling breakage as a result of braiding my hair for 5 years.

I just cut off about one an one half curly inches - for me that's more than 3 straight inches!

This is about growing hair. What you do and how you get there is up to
    you. :) Have you tried vitamins. I went through a period of shedding
    too with my son, vitamins helped a lot.
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl

event.png
    mariag002 wrote:
    Thank you ladies *hugz*
    I appreciate your kindness. I took your advice and this morning I did my hair, slapped some red hijadelagranputa lipstick on and I got alot of compliments. Something I haven't received in a while LOL A few of my African American friends at work were asking me about my transition and I'm hoping to make a few of them go back to natural.

Sorry about the whining and pitty party yesterday! I re-read my post and cringed LOL :lol:

I am so glad that you are feeling better. Hey that's why we are here. :)
    Hey, red hijadelagranputa is my favorite color! he he he :twisted:
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl

event.png
  • kdcreighkdcreigh Posts: 736Registered Users
    Ladydncing wrote:
    kdcreigh wrote:

This is about growing hair. What you do and how you get there is up to
    you. :) Have you tried vitamins. I went through a period of shedding
    too with my son, vitamins helped a lot.

OK, I'm in!

Yes, I've been taking vitamins - GNC Ultra Nourishair, along with a gelatin supplement. My hair is growing in very thick and strong. :D That's also part of why I trimmed the ends - not as healthy as the new growth.
    YES WE CAN!

kdcreigh 4a and b (who knows?:dontknow:)

Relegated to occasional lurking in order to keep the PJ in check!
    :lurk:

http://public.fotki.com/kdcreigh/
    PW: natural
    I need to buy some vitamins myself. I don't remember the last time I did. Anybody can join and have different goals. For some its growing their hair a certain length, with me my goal is to keep growing my natural hair and cut the relaxed ends. I hate short hair so this is killing me :lol: Usually my hairdresser has to beg me to use scissors. Last time I went to the salon I said for the first time "just do whatever ya want"
    - Maria

• mikievoramikievora Posts: 83Registered Users
    Im in... I was so excited to get to a year, but Im just not comfortable with the length of my curls right now, and know there is no way I can BC until its longer. Im going to need some serious encouragement to make it through another year... here is a pic of it b4 washing out a dt.

IMG_0260.jpg[/img]
    Frizz Central!
    Wow so much growth! The curls are beautiful. If you've waited a year then you can keep going, don't give up girlie. How much of the relaxed hair have you cut off?
    - Maria

• mikievoramikievora Posts: 83Registered Users
    awww, thank you! actually, i have no idea how much ive cut. ive been going 4 trims pretty frequently- like evey 10 weeks- but bcasue im flat ironing & blowdrying weekly, my ends are crazy bad, so 10 wks works...I really wanna bc, but i feel like long hair is more feminine and looks better on me so i just cant do it now...
    Frizz Central!
    You should see the damage pressing my hair every two weeks did to my hair...I'll post pictures of it as soon as i take some pics. Hopefully it'll scare you away from heat :twisted: :P My hair looks nothing like it did a year ago :cry: It's really depressing...
    comic-p.jpg
    I think I'm in. I definitely want my hair to grow but am sort of ambivalent about a challenge where I don't really have much control over the outcome :o

How do you measure hair that's layered? In the long hair community they say measure from your forehead hairline back, but that doesn't work for me because I have short layers. Suggestions welcome.
    comic-p.jpg

• Jeannie_LJeannie_L Posts: 73Registered Users
    Hello everyone! I've been reading some of the articles, comments and pics in this site for a while and decided to join the curl community this week. I never thought a site about curly hair would interest me much but find myself rather impressed with the inspiring confidence achieved from reading others experiences. I started semi-transitioning from chemically relaxed hair about three years ago but was later convinced for a retouch after visiting my hairdresser for a haircut. So far after that last retouch, its been two years and a half since my hair has not seen a relaxer. I still had about two inches of relaxed ends early this year but finally had them removed on mid March. Now my hair is shorter than ever but feel great that it is healthy, shinny and naturally curly. My goal is to let it grow as long as I used to have it in the past (length to my waist) this time without any relaxers or texturizers. You can view some of my pics through Fotki.

Has anybody tried that Devacurl product yet? What should convince me to buy it instead of my old styling gels? Oh and I was also wondering, would it be too late to join this growout challenge? J
    no its not to late to join. what's your fotki password? from what i can see in ur pic ur hair is beautiful :) i'm jealous...
    comic-p.jpg
    Jeannie_L wrote:
    Hello everyone! I've been reading some of the articles, comments and pics in this site for a while and decided to join the curl community this week. I never thought a site about curly hair would interest me much but find myself rather impressed with the inspiring confidence achieved from reading others experiences. I started semi-transitioning from chemically relaxed hair about three years ago but was later convinced for a retouch after visiting my hairdresser for a haircut. So far after that last retouch, its been two years and a half since my hair has not seen a relaxer. I still had about two inches of relaxed ends early this year but finally had them removed on mid March. Now my hair is shorter than ever but feel great that it is healthy, shinny and naturally curly. My goal is to let it grow as long as I used to have it in the past (length to my waist) this time without any relaxers or texturizers. You can view some of my pics through Fotki.

Has anybody tried that Devacurl product yet? What should convince me to buy it instead of my old styling gels? Oh and I was also wondering, would it be too late to join this growout challenge? J

Jeannie, would love to view your album but it is password protected. Regarding the Devacurl products, I love Set it Free and also Mist-er Right. I just tried Angell and it's not bad, but it's a gel so...definitely replaceable. Set it Free is unique. I use a few sprays mixed with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Cutie-Soft-Curls-and-Swirls-p-473.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-cutie-soft-curls-swirls]Blended Cutie Soft Curls & Swirls[/buylink] to revie and fluff my 2nd day hair. Also just started using it as a leave-in on freshly washed and conditioned hair, rubbing on my ends prior to applying gel. Mist-er Right is a curl-reviving spray but sprays only revive frizz for me. So I use it on 2nd day if I have to spot-touch up curls on dry hair. My favorite gel is Aubrey Organic Mandarin Magic.
    comic-p.jpg

• Jeannie_LJeannie_L Posts: 73Registered Users
    its listed in my profile and should appear as my signature now.. the thumbnail is of two years ago while I was still transitioning

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file