CurlTalk

Poll--are your curls colored or virgin?

laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
I thought I should post this question here rather than on the coloring board because those who don't color wouldn't go to the color board.

I'm curious...who colors their curls/waves vs doesn't (and therefore has virgin curls/waves).

So, more specifically: Do you color, if so with what, and are you covering any gray?

Me: Yes, RC #7 Golden Chestnut, prematurely grayed about 35-40% (and very, very resistant to color and lets go of color very easily)
2b w/ some 3a
product tester geek

Comments

• meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I've been color-free for the better part of 3yrs or so now. :D Virgin hair for the first time in over a decade!
    Thankfully I don't have any grays to worry about yet.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fthekittenavenger" class="Popup
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • botticellicurlygirlbotticellicurlygirl Posts: 168Registered Users
    I started coloring about 6 months ago using Framesi professional color. But I've highlighted every 3-4 months prior to coloring for about 13 years. My hair seems in better condition with color only and no highlighting. I'm naturally blonde, so the highlights were lighter blonde highlights. I now have strawberry blonde thanks to Framesi color. The first time I colored strawberry, it washed out after about 2 weeks. This time it's definitely still vibrant. The first time they used conditioner when they added color so it was less permanent. As much as I heard that red doesn't last, this is still looking great after three weeks.
    Fine, blonde 3a botticelli curls
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    I used to dye my hair a dark chocolate brown for a long time (naturally it's light/medium ash brown). Recently I've stopped dyeing it and it's been growing like a weed. I'm pretty sure most of my hair now is virgin. I have a few greys that pop up, so I just watch out for them and pull them out. If I start getting any more, I'll definitely go back to coloring.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I used to color for fun, haven't colored for over a year now (it takes too much time!). I've got some white and some silver hairs. For some reason, they tend to be really shiny. Their number is increasing. Sigh.

I'm hoping to just go gray. I have my mom's hair and her gray looks good so maybe I'll get lucky. I'm old enough now that being gray won't make me look prematurely old...just age-appropriate old.

So far even though the grays are in the "top curly zone" of my head, they aren't particularly curly.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • sassette726sassette726 Posts: 694Registered Users
    Aside from an ill-conceived Ginger Spice blonde streak in college, I've never colored my hair.
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fa-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • lockenheadlockenhead Posts: 16Registered Users
    right now my hair is brown (from black) and i have some highlights
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    Definitely don't have virgin hair! I get bored with my looks very easily. Hair Color is just one way I change myself.
    Right now, I have dark blonde highlights in reddish brown(natural color). But I'm bored, so after school lets out, I think I'm going to go all brown, but a lighter shade than my natural color. I'm going to wait till the summer b/c I've already changed my hair twice during this school year so I don't want to through my kindergartners off too much!
    ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    Blonde highlights. Close to the colour my hair goes in the sun. I have no idea what shade they are because I get them done at the hairdressers. I do know it's colour by Wella.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • kcckcc Posts: 681Registered Users
    I have blonde highlights. My hair is dark blonde/light brown so they are pretty much the color my hair used to be and is usually in the summer. I have them done, so I'm not sure what she uses.
    And you know, I'm really not totally sold on the sandwich idea. They're kind of traditional, I know I said that, don't question me about that, but they aren't really all that chic, you know? --fig jam
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    I do, Pintura highlights. I get them done at Devachan, NYC. In fact, I just got them done this past Saturday.
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Posts: 678Registered Users
    I've been coloring my hair for years. I used to do the highlights thang. Now I just want to cover the ever-increasing greys. I just HATE seeing my hair going grey (and it's only about 5% or so).

I'm currently using Garnier-Fructis. Although I liked Herbatint I just couldn't get past the smell of it lingering in my hair for days. I also tried Bigen and that worked well but the color choices are limited. So for now, Garnier-Fructis it is.
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    Me - RC #15. I am 80+% resistant gray/white. Karin on RC site advised me to use a more saturated solution (more powder in the same amount of water) and keep it on for 60 minutes and that works. I keep it on for 45-50 with a heatcap and draw through for 5-10.

Before RC I used Clairol Jazz (inconsistent color results) or Beautiful Browns (extremely temporary). Also used Natural Instincts; great color but the chemicals were to harsh.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • zeldagoblinzeldagoblin Posts: 575Registered Users
    Me, me! I'm a virgin! :lol: :lol:

Well, for now, anyway. The only thing I ever had done chemically was the Japanese Straightening, and that is all cut off and long gone now. But those greys are starting to increase in number, so I think I'll have to consider some colour soon...
    Here are my curly pics, password is fuzz

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fzeldagoblin%2F" class="Popup

But then again, too few to mention...
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    My hair is virgin right now....I used to get highlights but gave them up several years ago and have long since cut all the highlighted hair off. I'm going to be 50 in July and am getting quite a bit of gray distributed throughout my hair but I just can't face the maintenance required when doing any kind of color.

A bonus is that my hair is in much better condition than when I had it highlighted. I may give it another try with my new hairdresser though.

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I get mine done at a salon. Base color is about a level 7 blonde with no grays. The salon uses Wella Color Charm demi on me - a mix of two of their reds.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • wildsheepchasewildsheepchase Posts: 161Registered Users
    In the past, I have dyed my hair red because I love red hair, and I've highlighted my hair to look more like my younger towheaded self. However, the colors on my head since I started CG are aaalll mine.

Including the solitary gray hair I discovered about a month ago.
    Eeek!
  • RedheadedcurlsRedheadedcurls Posts: 210Registered Users
    I'm a virgin here. I got blonde highlights once in my life- last summer- and they are just about all grown out. No plans to do that ever again, I'll just stick with just my red. :-)
    3a/3b~Currently: V05 Kiwi Lime/Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint for co wash, Suave Aloe or V05 Strawberries and Cream for co and leave-in, Burts Bees Super Shiny poo, EMBS, CK, re:coil, B&A/LA Looks Sport

PW: curls
  • Katina128Katina128 Posts: 560Registered Users
    I'm a redheaded virgin also. I've never colored or highlighted it at all. :)
    Katina, 3a redhead with spirals/waves
    My Faves:
    CJ CCCC Lite, Mirracurls gel, Marie Dean Curly Styling Cream
  • prettyhxcprettyhxc Posts: 59Registered Users
    i've never colored my hair before. i can't settle on a color so i don't bother with it. of course i can settle on tattoos
    6 years natural and loving it
    4B hair

Current Products
    Shampoos: DevaCurl Low Poo, Kinky Curly Clean
    Conditioners: DevaCurl One Condition, Elucense
    Leave ins: Kinky Curly Knot Today, Curl Junkie Smoother Conditioner
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel,
    Oyen Handmade Juice & Berries
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,132Registered Users
    My hair is virgin as well. I used to color my hair a long time ago just to switch it up. I stopped because my hair was damaged. Now that it is almost all healthy, I realized that I like my natural hair color. I also have natural highlights. Go figure. :lol:
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • TasharellaTasharella Posts: 88Registered Users
    Virgin!
    I'm less broke, but still thrifty. Show me the budget-friendly, quality products.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I don't color at all. I don't have the desire. The first (and last) time I got highlights, they messed it up because they didn't make it light enough so they had to do it again and it wasn't even what I wanted. :roll:
    3b-3c CG
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I have not colored or highlighted in 3 years. I keep thinking about highlighting (well actually low lights) but have not done it.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • tooj68tooj68 Posts: 471Registered Users
    At 39, so far I haven't had to color my hair to cover grays--YET (I just pluck the strays with a tweezer!) I do, however, have caramel highlights that I got last summer at Devachan. (I am due for a touch-up!!)
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    I lost my haircolor virginity almost 20 years ago. :shock: I'm 44. Out of necessity to cover gray (inherited premature gray from dad), I started with Clairol's Beautiful Brown (temp, wash out), went to Loreal Castings and Natural Instincts. I got tired of the fading and brassy color I got from those peroxide colors, so I switched to Color by Robert Craig over 15 yrs ago. I'll never switch again! :D

I have changed RC Colors over the years, going from #5 Coffee Brown to #7 Golden Chestnut for several years. As I'm getting more gray (now about 30-40% mostly in the crown), I've found I need a new color (grays were going bright red). Now I use a 1/2 & 1/2 mix of #8 Light Chestnut and #15 Golden Beige Blonde.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote:
    I lost my haircolor virginity almost 20 years ago. :shock: I'm 44. Out of necessity to cover gray (inherited premature gray from dad), I started with Clairol's Beautiful Brown (temp, wash out), went to Loreal Castings and Natural Instincts. I got tired of the fading and brassy color I got from those peroxide colors, so I switched to Color by Robert Craig over 15 yrs ago. I'll never switch again! :D

I have changed RC Colors over the years, going from #5 Coffee Brown to #7 Golden Chestnut for several years. As I'm getting more gray (now about 30-40% mostly in the crown), I've found I need a new color (grays were going bright red). Now I use a 1/2 & 1/2 mix of #8 Light Chestnut and #15 Golden Beige Blonde.

curlilocks is awesome--so helpful--my color mentor. i started coloring in 2002 when my gray was coming in and the hair around it was dingy and flat looking. my hairdresser made me blonde and i got it colored back brown the next day. now i use robt craig golden blonde #18 which gives me a medium golden brown. i am noticing tho that the grays are blonde which might provide me with highlights! it looks fairly natural so until my face gets too disgustingly wrinkled to have golden brown hair i will keep coloring, when the time comes i will let it go gray and cut it short. not yet tho--i want waist length curls for my 40th high school reunion this august
    :shock:
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
  • curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    Virgin hair, here. I only colored my hair once, frosted, when it was the thing to do. That was almost 20 years ago.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymel%2F" class="Popup Password: curls
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Blonde highlights. They also camouflage the few grays I have. Very few, considering I'm over 50! Thanks, Mom!
  • browniepointsbrowniepoints Posts: 8Registered Users
    I am a color ho. Ever since my big chop in March my hair has been a ton of colors. I am currently a dark auburn brown.
  • firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
    I got highlights/lowlights done about 4 years ago. I'm not sure if they're grown out yet. I died my hair red with some temporary stuff 3 years ago.

I tend to encourage my hair to be more red during the winter, and more blonde during the summer using highlighting conditioners. My hair is a caramel blonde color, so it has both red and lighter blonde highlights already.
    Lots and lots of fine 3b-ish hair.
    DevaCurl currently, but exploring new products.
    Love the hair!