To Comb or Not To Comb?

rosyposy10rosyposy10 Posts: 3Registered Users
Hi all! I'm new to the site and just wanted your advice on this subject.

I've been reading lots of different things about combing, such as using a narrow-tooth comb helps to 'push' conditioner into the hair; using a wide-tooth comb is better for curly hair; that you shouldn't use a comb at all and using fingers is best! :?

Does anybody have anything to say on this subject that might help me? I'm trying all the different methods out one by one but just wondered if anybody else had anything to add.

Thanks!
3a/b with some frizz issues, still struggling with idea of not using shampoo every day! Secret weapon: only ever finger-comb.

Comments

• Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    Narrow-tooth combs in general wouldn't be ideal for curly hair. It pulls out the natural curl too much, which can be a problem if scrunching to get them back gives you frizz. Plus it may tug your hair too much and can make detangling painful.

Overall, though, it really depends on what works for you. I can't only finger comb because I find it too time-consuming. I use a wide-tooth comb to dentangle my hair and distribute product. I used to also comb conditioner through in the shower, but I'm experimenting with finger combing to see if it makes a difference.
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • waterlily716waterlily716 Posts: 781Registered Users
    Combing does seem to break up the curl pattern for me, but I have to comb my hair to get some of the tangles out. I comb my hair after finger combing with a wide-toothed comb when my hair is wet and has lots of co in it. I can't ever get a fine-toothed comb to untangle my hair well. I tend to end up tugging at my hair and getting frustrated. :evil: If your hair is fine enough you may be able to get away with finger combing. :?:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a/b low to normal porosity curls
    CG method since 2006 @:-)
    CO wash: suave naturals coconut
    rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm
    stylers: KCNT, CK, jessicurl spiralicious
    @waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
    Blog: Curls and Blossoms

• ElithiaElithia Posts: 297Registered Users
    I've used a comb once since the day I started CGing, and that was mostly because my mom was skeptical and I wanted to show her that I was NOT getting dredlocks. For my hair, it frizzes very easily and I don't bring comb or brush within a foot of it! But some people's hair works better with combing. I would experiment and see what works best for you (but pick a day when your hair doesn't have to look its best!)
    Proudly CG since 8/10/06 - the story of my hair!
    Type: 3a/b, very thick
    Length: almost BSL wet
    Products: Suave coconut conditioner, coconut oil, Totally Twisted gel

Don't forget to be awesome!
  • NotinabottleNotinabottle Posts: 303Registered Users
    Generally if i use enough conditioner I can get all the tangles out in the shower just by finger combing. If there happens to be a particulary troublesome snarl i just apply some condition right on the spot and work it through.
    If I'm planing to wear my hair up in a ponytail that day, which i have to do at work a lot, I run my fingers through my hair till its almost in ponytail form and not parted at the sides and make sure to get any tangles out. This helps me stay away from combing once im out of the shower. Sorry if that was confusing.
    3a/b Thick, dry, in need of a haircut.
    HG's: Giovannia Smooth as Silk Conditioner and Aura Hypoallergenic Gel.

Whee a fotki!http://public.fotki.com/Notinabottle/
  • rosyposy10rosyposy10 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks everyone for your advice! Haven't been near a comb for two weeks now and have to say my curls are looking better than they ever have done, to the point of other people noticing :D

Elithia, love your picture - we actually have very similar hair in terms of length and curl pattern but yours looks much shinier than mine. Have made a note of your products!

Have to say also that John Frieda Frizz Ease for fine hair has made a huge difference - not sure if you can get this Stateside? Also not sure serums are encouraged on CG :?:

Anyway, thanks again for your help!
    3a/b with some frizz issues, still struggling with idea of not using shampoo every day! Secret weapon: only ever finger-comb.
  • ElithiaElithia Posts: 297Registered Users
    rosyposy10 wrote:
    Elithia, love your picture - we actually have very similar hair in terms of length and curl pattern but yours looks much shinier than mine. Have made a note of your products!

:) Thanks....I feel obligated to mention that WAS a very good hair day. :wink: Makes me happy just looking at it...then I look in the mirror at today (which is about average) and sigh. :D
    Proudly CG since 8/10/06 - the story of my hair!
    Type: 3a/b, very thick
    Length: almost BSL wet
    Products: Suave coconut conditioner, coconut oil, Totally Twisted gel

Don't forget to be awesome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file