Layering!?

curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Posts: 264Registered Users
I'm trying to make up my mind about whether or not I should go for layers. My hair is a 3A on top/3B underneathe mix that's bra-strap length with straight, side swept bangs. Lately, it just looks kinda flat to me- which is something I've never experienced in my life as I've always battled big hair. But now that its actually in good condition and I've found the right products, it's just looking so flat on the top, wavy in the middle and ringlet-y at the ends. I want something that looks more sophisticated and trendy. I've never had a single good haircut in my entire life and haven't allowed a stylist near my head with scissors in about 4 years (my mother trims my ends for me...as she's the only one I can trust and I cut my bangs myself :oops: ) Should I go for it? If so, what should I tell the stylist to do so that I don't end up with hideous hair?

I could really use some advice here, since I don't have a single curly family member/friend so no one understands my pain.
3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok

Comments

• medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    I bet a few long layers would take out some weight and let the top of your hair curl better.
    You might post on the main board asking about hair dressers in the area where you're at if you want some recommendations for a safe hairdresser.

I've not been brave enough to go to someone. I cut my layers in myself. I have lots of layers but someone else on the board used that ponytail pulled tight above their head method to put long layers in.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Posts: 264Registered Users
    I'm curious to know, how did you layer your own hair? I mastered cutting my own bangs, but I'm not sure how I'd even begin layering.

And, if you know, how does this ponytail method work?
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    I layer my hair but taking a comb or brush (wide spacing on the teeth or bristles) and sectioning off the front part of my hair , top and cutting to the shortest I want that layer. I pull the next row of hair up (like if you were going to color let's say) and brush it up with the front part and cut that hair to the front hair length and repeat until I get the whole top done and then just pull all the other hair up and cut it to match that shortest layer.
    That particular way (man I hope that makes sense) gives me lots of layers so my hair looks full and gives me more curls.

If you want long layers though you can pull your hair up like you're making a top of your head ponytail then slide the band out to where you want to cut it (longest layer) say you want to take off an inch then pull the band out until you can hold it taught over your head hold the hair in your hand and snip with the scissors. It gives you some long layers. It's also less time consuming than my tons of layers approach.

There are some places online that tell you how to cut your own hair, http://www.hairfinder.com/howto/cuttinghair.htm
    http://www.wikihow.com/Layer-Cut-Your-Own-Hair

I do pretty well and I'm free and I never cry after I'm done at least :lol:
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • SherryLSherryL Posts: 82Registered Users
    Layering my 3a hair made a WORLD of difference. Like you, I also have tighter ringlets underneath and I was worried how this would look. However, with the extra weight removed from my top the whole thing actually curls more uniformly b/c the top layer actually springs up nicer. I have some pictures in my Fotki profile before. Good luck on your decision... and remember, keep those layers LONG!
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file