preventing RC color loss after coloring

laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
I'm coloring my hair this weekend, and because my grays are SO resistant and then let go of color so easily afterward, this is my plan:

1. Clarify 2 nights before and use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink].
2. Wash with RC poo night before. No conditioner.
3. Color. Wash with RC poo to remove color per instructions. Use RC conditioner (because if anything is going to work well, staying within the brand should work...and I really like RC condish).
4. Go productless and don't wet for (gulp) two days.
5. Use RC condish as my only condish for rest of the week.

What do you think? Overkill? If so, which step?
2b w/ some 3a
product tester geek

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would not deep treat; just shampoo or clarify the night before and then color. Also I've had longer-lasting color with heat, keeping it on the roots for 50-55 minutes then drawing through ends for 10. I forgot to use heat last time. That was 3 weeks ago and my gray was showing through week 2. I can go for 5 weeks if it's done right; 6 if I push it and don't mind a gray hairline.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
    How do you do use heat, in your practice?
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a microheat cap for the time that color is in my hair
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sure you already have colored, but here's my info:

I do the same as SBB. If you don't have a heat cap, put a plastic cap over your head and wrap with a hot (damp) towel.

I usually DT at least 4-5 days before (if at all). But I don't think it will hurt if you only did it 2 days before. You can use product after coloring, just don't use anything with lots of oils or proteins. Although they say glycerin can strip, I have never noticed any problems and I use CK all the time. But then again, I don't use it on the roots. lol

So, how did it come out? :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    I washed and didn't condition on the night before coloring. I used my microcap for most of the time the color was on my hair, letting it cool for the last 10 minutes. I literally had the color on for an hour and a half so it should be really, really on there if it's ever going to stay put.

It seemed okay day 1 (coloring day), even though my hair was dry-dry-DRY without conditioner. I didn't put in any stylers that day.

Now, it's day 2, and I *think* I see some grays resurfacing, but I'm not sure. I put on a very small amount of CK and some RC condish as a leave-in and that's it (no shampoo at all today).

Maybe they are a few that got missed. I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if more appear.
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
    I just went and really looked in the mirror (most of my grays are in the crown so I have to part my hair a few times). They're definitely back. I feel like screaming or crying.

I even used the microcap and a more concentrated solution. :cry:
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
    I can't believe the gray is back. :? Did you wash your hair yet? You may notice a little color in the water when you shampoo the first time after, this is normal. Only so much can soak in and a little may be left on the surface.

Are you saying the color already faded? :shock: wow. I do notice a little gray a few days later but they are new roots. But it is deceiving because the new gray shine makes it look like the rest faded, but I test this by covering the roots with a finger and checking the color.

What color are you using LB? Maybe the color is too light and isn't covering the gray well enough. You should not have this problem. :(
    CurliLocks wrote:
    What color are you using LB? Maybe the color is too light and isn't covering the gray well enough. You should not have this problem. :(

3/4 #7 + 1/4 #5

Thanks for the reinforcement!
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
    Oh, and how long after coloring should I be avoiding oils, glycerin, protein? I'm only curious about non-heat-related products (stylers, condish, etc...I don't use a hairdryer so I don't use heat).
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
    Oh, and how long after coloring should I be avoiding oils, glycerin, protein? I'm only curious about non-heat-related products (stylers, condish, etc...I don't use a hairdryer so I don't use heat).
    I usually wait a week or two at least. Except for CK with the glycerin, but I avoid the roots.

Maybe you should have used the clarifying shampoo after the DT pre-color instead of the RC shampoo. There may have been some residue that kept it from grabbing. RC has always said that the Color takes better on drier hair vs conditioned hair, so it's best not to DT too close. But do give him a call.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file