Same here...loosing curl

liv2dance4liv2dance4 Posts: 129Registered Users
This is my first time on the 3a board and after reading posts I see I'm not alone!

So after the move to Atlanta (soft water) from Baltimore(hard water) I find that my curl is changing as well. My hair is becoming more fine and looses its curl throughout the day. I dont know what to do. I've never had this problem before. I'm also noticing that my hair is getting thinner overtime, and the longer it gets, the more weighed down the curl.

I've been experimenting but havent found products I like yet and I just feel like my original routine isnt working anymore. I used to have great 2 day hair no problem. Not these days. I do not know what has changed, (well I did move into a different house 6 months ago so that could be)...and I have no idea where to start in a search to correct this issue. Any ideas?
3a color-treated
Ouidad- Curl Quencher Poo/Dish, CHS Curl Keeper, Innersense Sweet Spirit and QCCC, Climate Control Gel, Tress F/X, Redken Fresh Curls Spray Gel

Comments

• medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    You know if you have hard water you can put a shower filter on to help that out.

When I lived in the city I had to sulfate now and then. It's easier not to overcondition with hard water at least and things rinse out better it's just getting adjusted to it.

As for longer hair, my hair gets flat on top if I don't keep some layers in it and keep it under a certain length. It's just gravity I think. My ends get thing eventually too.

Now if your hair is falling out thinning that's another matter altogether.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • GreenSeaGreenSea Posts: 15Registered Users
    As a former Fells Point resident, I can relate. When I moved, my routine had to change because my curls suddenly seemed to droop after just a couple of hours. I ended up ditching the leave-in altogether and had to switch to a mega-hold "crispy" gel that I would crunch out only after my hair was completely dry. Soft water does have its challenges - it took a lot of product tinkering before I found what works for me. Good luck!
    3a/Modified CG, low-poo
    Jason 84% Aloe Shampoo & Conditioner
    Alberto VO5 Red Curvaceous Curls Mousse or FX Curl Booster Fixative Gel or LA Looks Sports Gel
    Garnier Surf Hair for refreshing
    Plop time: 30 min w/ t-shirt
    oops I read that just the opposite! You have soft water NOW, ok now that I can relate to!

Rinse super super well, you'll need less conditioner in the shower and less to no leave in. If you use a super light conditioner and rinse it well you can probably get away with a medium hold gel but generally I do like the other poster and use a harder hold gel and just scrunch the crunch out.

Also I use low poo daily in the summer. My hair will look limp and over conditioned without that. In the winter I can get away with co was but not this time of year.

Good luck!
    2c/3a?

• liv2dance4liv2dance4 Posts: 129Registered Users
    GreenSea
    PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:18 am Post subject:
    As a former Fells Point resident, I can relate. When I moved, my routine had to change because my curls suddenly seemed to droop after just a couple of hours. I ended up ditching the leave-in altogether and had to switch to a mega-hold "crispy" gel that I would crunch out only after my hair was completely dry. Soft water does have its challenges - it took a lot of product tinkering before I found what works for me. Good luck!

What "mega-hold" crispy gel are you working with now?

Also I use low poo daily in the summer. My hair will look limp and over conditioned without that. In the winter I can get away with co was but not this time of year.
    I have come to find that I'm needing less and less conditioner- which is a crazy concept for me to grasp because I used to be the total opposite. I've never tried low-poo before- just no poo and OneC and I stopped because of build up. Is the low poo really good? I'm using Burts Bees Super Shiny 'Poo right now- that is sulfate free but I've been toying with the idea of going back to sulfates recently b/ of this issue...still haven't had the curage to do it though. But if I did- do you know of any less harsh one that work well?

Thanks for the advice ladies.
    3a color-treated
    Ouidad- Curl Quencher Poo/Dish, CHS Curl Keeper, Innersense Sweet Spirit and QCCC, Climate Control Gel, Tress F/X, Redken Fresh Curls Spray Gel
  • GreenSeaGreenSea Posts: 15Registered Users
    What "mega-hold" crispy gel are you working with now?

In the fall and winter I use HE Set me Up and in the spring and summer I use LA Looks Sports gel (the blue one) to combat the higher humidity. HTH.
    3a/Modified CG, low-poo
    Jason 84% Aloe Shampoo & Conditioner
    Alberto VO5 Red Curvaceous Curls Mousse or FX Curl Booster Fixative Gel or LA Looks Sports Gel
    Garnier Surf Hair for refreshing
    Plop time: 30 min w/ t-shirt
    low poo doesn't have sulfates either. I haven't tried burt's bees it might do just as well. Low poo was the first one I used that didn't dry my hair out and it's easier to rinse out ( I have that soft water) I do sulfate about once every three weeks. I can't tell if that's buildup I have or just my paranoia but it doesn't hurt my hair and it feels different after that.
    Quats build up on me after a while. blah
    2c/3a?

• liv2dance4liv2dance4 Posts: 129Registered Users
    For the 1x every 3 weeks clarifying what sulfate 'poo do you use/like? My hair is so used to CG I feel like the sulfate poos makes my hair like straw. I do get buildup from products with the A'cone and I feel like Burts doesnt do the best job getting it out- maybe a clarfiying sulfate poo would help?... thats what i'm toying with right now...but I need to find a gentle one.
    3a color-treated
    I've been using the elucence clarifyer. It's pretty gentle. Anything but low poo feels weird though to me. I just condition really well after using it.
    2c/3a?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file