How can I simulate humidity for my hair?

WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
My hair never looks better or curlier than when it's a humid day outside (regardless of which ever styler I choose to use that particular day).

I wish there was a way to simulate humidity every day. (For the sake of my hair only, I actually hate living in a humid climate).

I style my hair, dress and apply makeup near my shower each morning, but that doesn't really make much of a humid curl-enhancing difference.

Comments

• EmberEmber Posts: 27Registered Users
    I wish I had advice for you, but all I got is empathy! I live in the desert, so every time I go visit someplace humid I go from wavy/3aish to solid perfect 3a spirals. I love humidity. I don't even get frizzies when it's humid.

Wish I could help!

Ember
    2a to 3a to ringlets on my head. My scalp behaves like a wavy, below the ears is DRY. Co-wash every 1-3 days with Vo5 VitaBurst, daily condition with Aloe 80, honey rinse followed by Alagio Crazy Curls and HE Set Me Up.
  • SunshynseekerSunshynseeker Posts: 15Registered Users
    I totally agree with both of you. I wish I knew a way to artificially induce the same hair which humidity naturally creates.
    2c/3a in winter 3a/3b in summer
  • curlsx45curlsx45 Posts: 30Registered Users
    You could try using a product with glycerin in it. Vegetable glycerin is a natural humectant, which draws humidity to your hair while it is in it. However, glycerin really only works as a leave in, when it is washed out there is no way it can attract moisture.
  • modegrrlmodegrrl Posts: 274Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Try something like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG Recoil[/buylink] and run a humidifier in the house in the morning, or use a steam iron to fill the room you're in with moisture while you airdry your hair.
    "For many years the National Pretend Speed Limit was fifty-five miles per hour"--Dave Barry

PW: frizzella
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Instructions in one of my books for creating a humid environment for certain house plants gives several options you could try for your hair.

A humidifier has already been suggested.

A water fountain or spray bottle for hand-misting are other options.

I don't think you want to try what's left; saucers of pebbles containing water, which the potted plant sits on. I can only imagine you keeping your head on top of such! :lol:
  • GrecianCurlsGrecianCurls Posts: 256Registered Users
    I hear ya!

My hair loves hot weather and humidity, but i was born in England... so cruel :(

I try to mimic the effcts of humitdity by squirting a tiny tiny amount of Jessicurls rocking ringlets into a spritzer with a bit of water and spay on dry hair. To much RR and my hair feels coated and horrible but if i get it right i get some lovely ringlets! I never keep the mixture for more than a day because of preservatives and stuff so i just mix a little in the morning and keep it to hand that day. I find little and often works better, rather than saturating my hair with the mixture it seems to like a little bit a few times a day (i guess its like being in a humid environment where your hair gets a gradual dose of moisture!). I wonder if using mineral water rather than tap water would help too...
    fine 3b curls and spirals - first goal BSL!!

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!
  • kitkatkitkat Posts: 13Registered Users
    :-(
    I hear ya.
    2A. Total, dejected 2A.
    Old sig: 2A 3rd day (or no scrunch after a wash with normal shampoo), 2B w/o scrunch after curly shampoo, & 2C with enough scrunching & flipping hair over the top or pinning many locks up so curls from 3" down seem to start only 1" down.
    Want 3A to the root! That was then...
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You have to add moisture. Heavier conditioners/rinse outs in the colder months because unlike now, your hair can't get it from the elements. The reason to avoid humectants in colder months is because their job is to "steal" from the most "moist" source. In the colder months its not the air, its your hair. This is why in the colder months use of humectants result in a dry feel to the hair. In the summer you dont need as much moisture because the elements are so rich with it. So you can use lighter LI's, and humectant loaded stylers.

You just need to tweak your moisture routine. HTH
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • kitkatkitkat Posts: 13Registered Users
    *falls over laughing*
    Naturalista, you must not be from where I'm from!

Here, the air steals moisture from my hair all year!

I'll look into what you mean by "rinse outs." Thanks for the tips.

Though one question--by "heavier conditioners," do you just mean more of it and more time/work using it, or do you mean a different chemical formula?
    2A. Total, dejected 2A.
    Old sig: 2A 3rd day (or no scrunch after a wash with normal shampoo), 2B w/o scrunch after curly shampoo, & 2C with enough scrunching & flipping hair over the top or pinning many locks up so curls from 3" down seem to start only 1" down.
    Want 3A to the root! That was then...
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kitkat wrote: »
    *falls over laughing*
    Naturalista, you must not be from where I'm from!

Here, the air steals moisture from my hair all year!

I'll look into what you mean by "rinse outs." Thanks for the tips.

Though one question--by "heavier conditioners," do you just mean more of it and more time/work using it, or do you mean a different chemical formula?

I'm from NYC? Where are you from?

The air is "stealing" moisture from your hair? What are the dews like where you are and what exactly are you using? Do you know your texture/porosity??

Rinseouts just mean putting conditioner in for a few mins and then rinsing it out. :) Nothing too crazy.

Heavier (more moisturizing) conditioners = (examples)
    -Cholesterol
    -Lustrasilk
    -CJ Curl Rehab
    -CJ Deep Fix
    -SheaMoisture LI conditioner
    -CJ Honey Butta LI
    -Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner
    -[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]JessiCurl Too Shea[/buylink]

Well, hopefully more folks will chime in and the more information you give the more we can help. :)
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • charliebrown1988charliebrown1988 Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Here is an article addressing tools for moisturising natural hair. Some key points include: Shower filter Thermal deep conditioning cap Steamer Q-redew Humidifier More details you may interesting: https://docsbay.net/tools-for-moisturising-natural-hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file