Department Store Makeup--Really worth the $$$?

aptheislandgirlaptheislandgirl Registered Users Posts: 636
I recently ran out of makeup and am looking for a new brand.

I had been using the Clinique three step system but after running out I decided that I didn't really like it.

I would like to try Prescriptives but my dilemma is that I am low on cash. I don't have the money to just try something then decide I don't like it.

My question is for all you girls who have tried a variety of makeup. Are the department store brands THAT much better than the cheaper brands?

I hate to say this but I am a bit of a snob when it comes to makeup. I don't know why because it's not like I can even afford it. I just like the prestige of using the expensive brand. :oops:

Comments

• AmbrosiaAmbrosia Registered Users Posts: 60
    i know this doesnt answer you question, but isnt cliniques three step program a skin regimen?...

also, with department stores, you can ask for samples, return things, get informed descriptions, etc. if youre hesitant about spending on products you may not like, i would ask for a few samples of products youre planning on buying....try them for a while. most of the makeup counters will take almost anything back...as long as youve only used a relatively small amount...even if it definitely looks used.

ps. i do think there is a difference...i particularly like prescriptives makeup.
  • aptheislandgirlaptheislandgirl Registered Users Posts: 636
    Ambrosia wrote:
    i know this doesnt answer you question, but isnt cliniques three step program a skin regimen?...

Ummm...I'm not quite sure I understand your question... :headscratch:headscratch.gif

Yes, it is a skin regimen... When I said I ran out of makeup I meant cleanser, toner, moisturizer, foundation, etc... Pretty much everything.
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    I use department store foundation (Presciptives) because I am super pale and can't get quite the right color in the drugstore brand. As for cleansers and what not, I don't use much. I wash with Ivory soap and water and I use an Oil of Olay moisturizer for sensitive skin. That is enough for me. I have tried samples of the department store versions and I just don't see that much difference. When it comes to that stuff I think alot of it is hype...not all of it as I think some of the products probably are good but I think you are paying more for the name than the product.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
    oh...ok, back to your question...

i dont use that many drugstore brands of makeup, but i have used tons of the skincare stuff...i tend to like non-drugstore brand skincare products. i dont mean cosmetic brand skincare though. more like, DDF, Peter Thomas Ross, type of skincare products.

its my preference, but i dont like my makeup brands to be my skincare brands. makeup companies are good at makeup. i like to find other non-makeup brands for the skincare stuff. i find most skincare brands to be priced moderately. i like DDF's skincare products the most...available at sephora.

also, are you insistent on using the same company for all your products?

i do really like prescriptives makeup...foundation, esp.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    if money is a problem, you might find the new L'Oreal True Match foundation to be a good solution to fit your budget.

when it comes to colours, well, everyone knows that i love MAC!

:D

for skin care, i use the generic facial cloths from the supermarket - same as the L'Oreal, Ponds, et. al. for half the price - to remove makeup. and i cut the cloths in half too because it doesn't take a whole one to get everything off.

and i love Olay Regenerist for moisturizing.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    Ambrosia,

No, I am not at all insistent on using the same company for all of my products. I guess I have been so used to getting all of my supplies in one stop that I didn't even consider mixing up the brands I use.

How did you start using DDF and Peter Thomas Ross? I went to Sephora.com and they have an option that lets you shop by brand. There are TONS of choices! How did you end up buying these particular brands?

Sorry, I know I'm asking a lot of questions but this is all new to me. I am such a ditz when it comes t this stuff. :oops:
    i actually went to one of the local sephora stores and there was this really nice and helpful sales representative...i guess i was lucky that day...i asked her tons of questions, and asked her to compare and contrast things, and tell me what the active ingredients in certain products were and what they did, basically drilled her...turned out she was really informed and had tried tons of products herself...anyway, she ended up giving me all these samples for the type of problems i told her i was looking to solve...so then i went back to buy one of the face washes....that time she gave me samples of face lotions (5 or 6)....so the next week i went back and bought a lotion i really liked. so now we have this bond. everytime i go, she gives me tons of samples and i buy something of the samples she gave me the last time. so now the lady knows me well and always gives me great samples to try. i wouldnt trade her for the world!...she did actually save my skin from a lot of ugly woes.

i also like places like sephora because the sales reps are not married to selling you one brand so they, if they are informed and helpful, are just as willing to sell you any brand/product that fufills your request.

i like DDF and PTR the most because they dont have a lot of fragrance and i find that some of the other lines sephora carries may have one or two items i like, but i seem to like everything i try from DDF, so im not so hesitant to buy their products. and neither brand is super-expensive, so in case i dont like something, in not out $50 bucks. also, im not sure how old you are, but im in my mid 20s and their products seems to target all my problems...my sister who is 17 and has a bit more acne/oiliness likes DDF too. if youre older and are fighting age, then im not sure if my info is still relevant.
    Ambrosia wrote:
    also, im not sure how old you are, but im in my mid 20s and their products seems to target all my problems...my sister who is 17 and has a bit more acne/oiliness likes DDF too. if youre older and are fighting age, then im not sure if my info is still relevant.

I am 25 years old. I have normal skin. Not too dry, not too oily. What type of skin do you have? You said you have problems...Do you mind me asking what type?

Another general question...What basic items do you need for a skin regime? Cleanser, toner, moisturizer?

I would LOVE to visit Sephora but the closest one to me is Atlanta, GA and that is about 4 hours away. :(
    i have normal skin as well....ill get about 3-5 pimples a month...sometimes my skin will get a little tight. sometimes, with makeup, esp. itll look oily, im trying to postpone my first wrinkle as much as possible...no major problems, i guess, just a few minor ones.

im no skin expert, but ill tell you what i use. i dont like to put tons of products on my face, so i stick to as few as possible...cleanser, toner, moisturizer and then makeup. i use the DDF 7% glycolic acid cleanser. it takes off all my makeup, gently exfoliates, but its not too harsh. i use the DDF glycolic toner as well. i would recommend both of those. the glycolic acid gently exfoliates my skin without drying it out...keeps me pimple free and with a "fresh" look. i should say, i used to get about 3-5 pimples a month. since i started using those about 3 months ago, ive had one and it hasnt dried out my skin. my skin feels really balanced. under my makeup, i like to use an oil-free moisturizer with spf....because its so hot in atl and my foundation sometimes seems to melt and look shiny...i use DDF mattifying lotion with spf. but if you dont have that problem, i would suggest trying one of their other lotions, esp. if you like the cleanser and toner. i like to use more of a cream at night...for more moisture....right now im trying (from a sample) Hope in a Jar by Philosophy, but i havent settled on it yet.

if you start with one product, i would say start with the cleanser and go from there. thats the one product i wouldnt part with.

im not sure what kind of makeup coverage you like, but i really like prescriptives foundation for a sheer/light coverage.

HTH
    Ambrosia wrote:
    im not sure what kind of makeup coverage you like, but i really like prescriptives foundation for a sheer/light coverage.

I like very light makeup coverage as well. I live at the very bottom of South Carolina so I know what you mean about your makeup melting. I ran out of my Clinique foundation and after not using any for a few weeks I really like the way my skin feels without it.
    I don't feel as though I even need foundation anyway. What is the point of foundation? Is it basically used to even skin tone and cover flaws?

Thanks for all your help Ambrosia! You have been so very helpful! :D
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    What is the point of foundation? Is it basically used to even skin tone and cover flaws?

that's it exactly.

so if you don't need it - and boy do i NEED it! - don't wear it!

:D
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    Ambrosia,

Just an update to let you know I ordered some DDF items from drugstore.com. Sephora was out of one item so I had to look elsewhere.

I got the wash, toner, and moisturizer that you recommended. I also bought the ultra rich moisturizing cream to use at night.

I have been using my new products since Thursday and so far I love them. They are very simple and leave my skin feeling clean and healthy. They don't have much, if any, scent which I also like.

Now all I need is some wrinkle cream to use around my eyes. I noticed that DDF had a pricey one so I may try the new Olay Regenerist eye cream. I saw a commercial for this the other day.

It makes me feel so much better to know I am using quality products on my face.

Thanks again for all of your help! :D
  • candycakecandycake Registered Users Posts: 10
    For me certain cosmetics are worth the higher price and I wish it wasnt the case.Most drugsore makeup just looks horrible on my dry 46 year old face.My foundations are clinique soft finish for evening $19,Merle Norman tinted moisturizerspf 15 for daywear because of the spf.$30 My lipstick is clinique color surge in nudesplurge.$13 Im not rolling in cash so these products are a reall spluge for me but I love these 3 products. Other cometics like mascara and blush I get at places like walmart.I havent found highend brands to be any better.
    3C Just got the BC. Went from 4 inches past shoulders to about 2 inches. love it!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file