CurlTalk

Which oil do you prefer? OLIVE, JOJOBA or COCONUT

Tanta65Tanta65 Posts: 112Registered Users
which oil do you prefer to use, i'm using olive now, jus want to know what the majority of you guys use to see if i should switch to that.

I use for moisture, and relaxing my scalp by massaging some olive on in it.

Comments

• princesapiaprincesapia Posts: 16Registered Users
    I personally prefer jojoba oil, whenever I do my hair straight or curly. I find that jojoba has the lightest consistency. It also does not leave my hair with that greasy-like texture. Unfortunately jojoba tends to be the most expensive of the three oils you inquired about, but it’s worth it.
    the girl next door
    3b/3c
  • ItsiRCItsiRC Posts: 335Registered Users
    I personally prefer jojoba oil, whenever I do my hair straight or curly. I find that jojoba has the lightest consistency. It also does not leave my hair with that greasy-like texture. Unfortunately jojoba tends to be the most expensive of the three oils you inquired about, but it’s worth it.

I totally agree. jojoba is the best of the 3.
    I'm going to Mexico until this bills business blows over.

pw:master shake

.png
  • GeminiLeslieGeminiLeslie Posts: 190Registered Users
    I've never used Jojoba, because I haven't been able to find it. But between olive and coconut, I like coconut oil better because olive oil is too heavy.
    Mostly 4a..crazy hair

Currently using: 100% Aloe Vera Gel :), VO5 Conditioners for Co-Washes, Jojoba and Africa's Best Oils, GV Biolage Conditioning Balm :), Cream of Nature Detangling Shampoo, ACV rinses, Herbal Tea Rinses (rarely), Alba Botanica Leave-in

Goal: healthy hair and longer hair

• princesapiaprincesapia Posts: 16Registered Users
    I order my jojoba oil from this website /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jojobacompany.com%2F" class="Popup.
    But you can also go to your local natural herb store. I'm from Connecticut, so there are many places such as "Edge around the woods" in New Haven, CT.
    the girl next door
    3b/3c
  • GeminiLeslieGeminiLeslie Posts: 190Registered Users
    Thanks, I'll look around for it. I'm in Atlanta right now, so I have to search around for health stores.
    Mostly 4a..crazy hair

Currently using: 100% Aloe Vera Gel :), VO5 Conditioners for Co-Washes, Jojoba and Africa's Best Oils, GV Biolage Conditioning Balm :), Cream of Nature Detangling Shampoo, ACV rinses, Herbal Tea Rinses (rarely), Alba Botanica Leave-in

Goal: healthy hair and longer hair

• ChickiChicki Posts: 53Registered Users
    Jojoba hands down!
  • KellKell Posts: 201Registered Users
    I used some random mineral oil I found in the closet. Weird, because it said "laxative" and "intestinal lubricant" on the label. :lol:

But I know that babyoil is mineral oil + fragrance, and Ive always like THAT....soooo I figured it'd be great on my scalp.
    J&J Baby Shampoo fugged up my hair! :thumbdown:
  • ButterflyCurlsButterflyCurls Posts: 46Registered Users
    Hey Kell...maybe you should read some of the old post but from what I know mineral oil isn't really that good for your hair and most curlies advise to stay away from products that have them because it coats the hair and builds up and locks out all moisture making your hair dry overtime. The best oils are natural oils from vegetables or nuts because there are more similar to the oils in our hair...(the most similar being jojoba) anyways hope that helps...

good luck with your new quest on becoming natural :D
    this site has great information and you should also check out The long hair care Forum for women of color...
    3b/3c ... Long to my lower back when pulled straight...

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FAngelinaCurl%2F" class="Popup
    pssw: care free
  • 3cCurly3cCurly Posts: 114Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    I like olive oil but vitamin E gel capulses are the best for my hair for great moisturing and get your hair a healthy beautiful gloss/shine. I buy a bottle of vitamin E (I like to get the long capsules and bust the gel capulses and apply to my hair when I do braidsets or loose curls.
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    3cCurly wrote:
    I like olive oil but vitamin E gel capulses are the best for my hair for great moisturing and get your hair a healthy beautiful gloss/shine. I buy a bottle of vitamin E (I like to get the long capsules and bust the gel capulses and apply to my hair when I do braidsets or loose curls.

That's a good idea :D
  • KellKell Posts: 201Registered Users
    Butterfly thanks. Its something wrong if Im using the same stuff on my hair, that my grandpa used to 'lubricate' his booty. lol I definitley dont want to lock out moisture. In fact, Im gonna do a hot oil treatment for my ends. I'll pick up some jojoba after payday. :D
    J&J Baby Shampoo fugged up my hair! :thumbdown:
  • AngelicBarAngelicBar Posts: 14Registered Users
    Also try grapeseed oil. I really like it on my hair.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I like coconut oil for curly and olive oil for straight, but have yet to try jojoba.
    3b-3c CG
  • AyrdaomeiAyrdaomei Posts: 27Registered Users
    I haven't tried Jojoba, but between Olive Oil and Coconut Oil, I definitely preferred Coconut. I feel like it absorbs into my hair better/quicker than OO. The few times I used OO, my hair just felt really greasy.
  • DeeMarieDeeMarie Posts: 56Registered Users
    Jojoba all the way. I LOVE it. My hair generally hates oil, but this is the one oil that does not weigh my hair down or make it sticky. It absorbs really well. I use it daily.

Olive oil would be my second choice...but I can only use it for DTs. Same with coconut oil.

PJ alert: I admit I have all three of these in my stash!
    BC'd April 25, 2009 :happy10:: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FDeeMarie617%2Fbc%2Fimage1.html" class="Popup

Started transitioning Feb. 2008. I love what I've discovered! My scalp thanks me every day.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FDeeMarie617%2F" class="Popup
    pword: hairitis
  • kaymoorekaymoore Posts: 298Registered Users
    I love Jojoba. It makes my hair soft, leaves no residue. But I also love using Grapeseed and Apricot Kernel Oil.
    http://public.fotki.com/kaymoore/

4a/3c combo with 4b in the front

Hair Goal: Shoulder Length and Curly before April 2010!

"Call me Kinky, Call me Nappy...
    It's just Semantics!
    "

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Products I am currently loving:
    Trader Joe's Nourish Conditioner
    Anita Grant Rhassoul Deep Conditioner
    Anita Grant Cafe Latte
    Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner
    event.png

• MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Posts: 827Registered Users
    I really like Jojoba Oil for skin and scalp. Its the oil that is most similar to sebum so our skin loves it. It moisturizes but isn't heavy. I add it to every beauty product I own. Its good for hair if you want something light. As far as the other 2, I'm dying to try Olive Oil. I just finished a jar of Coconut Oil (in my DTs) and don't think I will repurchase. It was okay but I but not what I hoped for.
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMissKinkyCoily%2F" class="Popup : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
    3cCurly wrote: »

Yes, Vitamin E capsules! I used to use them on my dry skin.

Photos: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMissKinkyCoily%2F" class="Popup : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users
    Oh this is a good topic :) Out of all of these my hair loves extra virgin olive oil the best. :)
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC, Eco Styler
    Leave-In: KCKT, Garnier WB Coconut & Cocoa Butter LI
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    All 3 are really good. Jojoba I use after washes on the scalp and ends of hair, Olive Oil in deep conditioners, and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil whenever I feel like it, mostly after leave-ins when I don't use a gel, except for in winter when we just can't use Coconut Oil as it gets hard in cold. I actually like Avocado Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Sesame Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, and Rice Bran Oil more than Olive Oil and all of those except Sesame Oil more than Jojoba Oil. Jojoba and Coconut are great when I think my hair needs that extra protein fix, as Coconut has affinity for proteins in hair and Jojoba reportedly has protein content.
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
  • LilluLillu Posts: 182Registered Users
    3cCurly wrote: »

This is a fab idea, I'm def going to try this!!

Kell wrote: »
    Butterfly thanks. Its something wrong if Im using the same stuff on my hair, that my grandpa used to 'lubricate' his booty. lol

PMSL!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

I used to use baby oil on my (relaxed) hair for years, cos i loved the smell too, then I found nc.com and switched to coconut oil. My relaxed hair loved it but now I'm natural I'm not so sure… when I use it on my hair when it’s wet it instantly makes it hard and crispy L My dry curly hair isn’t impressed with it either, it doesn’t even look shiny! My hair used to love EVOO with a passion but that isn’t working as great as it used to either…. I used to be the oil queen so I don’t know what’s going on! Grapeseed oil was good for a while but it left my hair too fluffy. I tried jojoba when I was relaxed and it was a disaster… my hair hated it! So maybe it will work for me now I’m natural?! I’ll give it a go!

I’m intrigued by all the fruit oils Anita Grant does… but there are so many I wouldn’t know where to start!
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    Transitioned Sep'07-Nov'08
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:
    Alba Botanical Leave-in is my irst HG :-)
    Condish: AOHR
    Co-wash: Original Source Tea Tree Mint
    Post-BC hair HATES protein!
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users
    I like olive oil in winter but I think it's going to be too heavy in spring and summer. I'm thinking about switching to coconut (I LOVE the smell) or Vitamin E capsules because it's easier for me to get those locally.
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    None of those three.I heart Castor Oil.It keeps my hair moisturized until I wash it.I only wash my hair once a week,and only apply the Castor Oil and other products to my hair once a week.The Castor Oil stays in my hair and that can be from 5-10 days.Castor Oil is a keeper for me.:toothy7:
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • maracasbeachmaracasbeach Posts: 310Registered Users
    Olive.
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    My hair loves them ALL!... Jojoba, olive, coconut, grapeseed, avocado, vitamin E, almond, lavender, orange.... And I have all of these and more in my stash, too!:book: (Needless to say, smoking is prohibited around me or my bathroom!)

However, jojoba wins because, not only is it the lightest, but it also has a nice, mild scent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twitter.com%2Fkurleeedna" class="Popup
  • freshwaterpearlfreshwaterpearl Posts: 305Registered Users
    Actually my hair prefers sweet almond oil I use it on my ends when I dc. I'm currently using aura cacia.
    I just came back to say that I just started EVOO and I think that I'm in love. Definitely the best oil I've tried so far.

comic-p.jpg
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    Update: while I use Coconut Oil the most, Camellia Seed Oil is likely now my favorite as it seems to mositurize as well as Castor Seed Oil but is not as heavy and doesn't attract lint or dirt (like Castor Oil did for us).
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Posts: 1,632Banned Users
    I haven't tried anything but olive
    eIZWI.gif
    :love10:
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I'm using coconut oil now and loving it. Before it was whipped unrefined shea (not an oil, technically, I know), but the shea doesn't hold a candle to ccno results for me.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!