Transition not a problem for me?

Cyan EclipseCyan Eclipse Posts: 8Registered Users
Hi, I've been reading these posts about growing out relaxers and dealing with the definition point between the new growth and the relaxed hair. The longest I've gone between relaxers has been about 5 months, so maybe I haven't waited long enough (it has been 10 weeks so far this time around), but I haven't had a problem with new growth and old growth not looking uniform. Seems as though when my hair is longer, it weighs down the new growth so its curl is less obvious. Even with several inches of new growth, there is not a clear separation between that and the old stuff.

At least with my hair, when it is relaxed it is still curly/wavy if I don't blow dry or flat iron. I kissed my blow dryer goodbye in Dec. of 2002 and never looked back. With relaxed hair, I would wash once a week and let air dry - it dried surprisingly curly (with the help of a little gel and some scrunching). The next day I would flat iron and curl the ends. My hair has been really healthy following that routine.

So anyway, I'm just wondering if others have been able to transition without chopping it all off and how they have coped. I read in someone else's post to try not to focus so much on hair and one day you'll look in the mirror and it will have grown. My hair is truly who I am. We have had a love/hate relationship for my entire life (mostly hate), but I am not me with out it. So cutting it off is not an option.

Thanks!

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I don't have a problem with the no-curl factor, because I only had a curl reducer relaxer. My main problem is that the hair is chemically damaged and tangles like crazy
    3b-3c CG
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think the difference between the relaxed hair and natural hair depends upon the natural texture of hair, the type of relaxer and the health of the hair. For instance, women with tight curly hair or kinky hair tend to have breakage at the point of relaxed hair and new growth. I think it has to do with the extreme difference between the two types of hair. Also, relaxers targeted specifically to African Americans or Hispanics (Revlon has one that is sold at Sally's) tended to give me scab hair for new growth at my front hairline. It was not similar to the relaxed hair or my natural hair. Also my hair is naturally smooth and has a meduim amount of curl. I did not see a difference between my natural texture and relaxed texture, except when my hair became damaged. When I have used the Phyto relaxer or the Oglivie straightener (not recommended), my hair grew out the same as before the relaxer. Also as I found out, no matter the type of chemical process, damaged hair never looks good.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    The best thing about coping with transitioning for me was the fact that my mom and one of my good friends was doing too...so there was lots of support when I was tempted to give up and get a touch up. I didn't have any problem with breakage, but I believe that's because my hair is relatively healthy and the natural hair texture is not extremely tight. I mainly used Pantene's Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense products and flat ironed my hair and deep conditioned every two weeks. I tried not to focus on it too much and one day I looked up and had tons of growth. Once my natural hair got pretty long, I started getting it pressed by my stylist which probably wasn't the best thing to do. But it looked so darn good....just like a fresh bouncy relaxer! I cut the relaxed ends off after 15 months. Now I have to figure out what to do with this natural hair. I think the flat ironing and pressing screwed up my natural curl pattern. I have tons of frizzies and straight pieces that won't curl. Oh well....at least I know better now.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know people that grow out relaxers and the don't have the "growing pains" like you said. I think it depends on the person's hair type, when they started relaxing their hair, and how many months apart they relax their hair. Like for example I relaxed my hair at age 11 and I have no curl in my hair, zero zilch nada LOL Friends that got their hair relaxed later in their life or at least don't relax for months at a time (i used to do it every 2 months) have more curl and bounce. Well that's just my opinion anyway.

Hey I'm jealous! I wish my hair would curl. i get sooooo frickin excited when I see one curl LOL
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• Cyan EclipseCyan Eclipse Posts: 8Registered Users
    Hi Mariag002 -

I see that you are in Boston. Is there a salon there you would recommend? I'm moving there this summer and I am looking for a good stylist - preferably a person of color - to help with the rest of my transition.

Thanks!
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    I wish I had seen this post topic earlier. I too had a real easy time of transitioning. I couldn't really tell where the relaxed part began. I was able to wet and stylye my hair curly...and it looked fine. This was really good because I don't know if I could have dealt with real short hair. I just got quite a few inches cut of my hair...and the more I think about this...I realize I had been transitioning all this time.

I finally got it cut cause I was ready for a change...but it does feel alot healthier since the relaxed ends are gone.

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Mariag002 -

I see that you are in Boston. Is there a salon there you would recommend? I'm moving there this summer and I am looking for a good stylist - preferably a person of color - to help with the rest of my transition.

Thanks!

I just noticed that this question was directed to me. Sorry it took me 2 months to notice! LOL I go to salons in Lynn, there's one in every corner LOL The specific one I like to go to is on the corner of Myrtle and Boston Street and you can't miss it because its next door to the spanish food store. I've been living in Boston since March and I haven't been brave enough to just walk in to a salon to get my hair done.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file