Carrier question - thinking of trying a wrap?

curlyninercurlyniner Registered Users Posts: 130
OK, so I have become sort of a carrier junkie. And my CJ is absolutely itching lately since my oldest has no use for it anymore and I still have 3 months before the new one needs an 'external' carrier. :wink: With K, I used a ring sling (never got the hang of anything other than a cradle/hip hold), a tube/pouch sling (loved it, but hard to nurse in), a Sutemi for DH (he liked it, but it was a little bulky for me), and finally by the time she was ~ 6 months, I started making my own that are similar to the Mei Tai, but with buckles instead of tied straps (loved loved loved these, but trying to nurse exposed some major side-boob).

I'm seriously considering trying to use one of the wrap-style carriers (like Moby) - a swath of fabric about 6 yards long that you wrap around your body every which way and somehow everything meets together and the moon and stars all align and you tie it somewhere and baby seems comfy and mom looks like a cocoon. OK, not really, but the one time I watched someone (who I think was new at it) try and put one on, she looked like a drunk Tazmanian Devil in slow motion.

But, it seems like once you get the hang of it then you can wear babe in every position imaginable, not to mention DH could use it as well since OSFA. In the instructions and pictures I have read on the web - they make it look so easy. Especially to get a newborn into the front cuddly-carry, and into a nursing position, which is my main purpose since I have plenty of slings that could just have her sleep on her back. Is it really that easy with practice?

Also one other question, since this baby is coming while it's stilll 90 degrees outside - it seems like mom and baby may get a tad warm while wrapped up in 6 yards of stretchy cotton fabric. I have read where I could make my own out of different fabric (say, something gauze-y that might breathe better than cotton jersey), but it also seems like having a material that stretches would be more comfortable (and easier to use) with a little tiny baby. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone made their own wrap and if so, what kind of material did you use?

Thanks (in advance) for your help with this!
"Things are exactly as they should be, all evidence to the contrary."

password = niner

D4KAm4.png

Comments

• marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    I'm hot natured and just didn't do well with wraps, not even in the winter. I currently have a moby wrap on loan from a friend and while I can see doing a younger baby in it with the stretch the same stretch would probably be a pain in the butt with an older toddler and the readjusting. Also I've heard good thing about some of the european wraps (although very $$$$) but again I can't do more than 2-3 more layers in any kind of weather.

Have you been to Rev. Jan's site? She has a ton of good info and I imagine since you're well versed in babywearing you're already familiar with the babywearer site. I know around here if you want to try a carrier before committing to it the local NINO group gets together once a month and brings out the lending library of carriers as well as plenty of members to show you how to use them. You may want to check for a chapter in your area to try a couple of wraps.

Similar to your experience around here my favorites are the ring sling (although I only got the hang of this with #2 not #1), the pouch and the mei tai. I also have sewn my last coule of pouches (including one for DH) which makes it handy for the sizing.

To be honest as far as nursing and carrying a newborn I've found nothing that matches the ease of a ring sling (by far my favorite is the rev. jan design with the pleated shoulder). I can still carry my quite healthy toddler in it. I also have a zolo pouch that I bought way back when my first was a baby and brought it out again after I shrunk the hotsling pouch one time too many.
  • curlyninercurlyniner Registered Users Posts: 130
    Have you been to Rev. Jan's site? She has a ton of good info and I imagine since you're well versed in babywearing you're already familiar with the babywearer site.

I have been to her site, she has some amazing information!! That is where I started thinking about making my own wrap instead of buying one. I'm just trying to decide (with a newborn) if it's more important to stretch, or more important to not sweat. I just found the babywearer site, and it's pretty daunting! Definitely a lot of info to sort through there.
    I know around here if you want to try a carrier before committing to it the local NINO group gets together once a month and brings out the lending library of carriers as well as plenty of members to show you how to use them. You may want to check for a chapter in your area to try a couple of wraps.

Unfortunately I'm down south of you by about 2 hours...which puts me in a bermuda triangle of NINO groups: 2 hours from raleigh, 2 hours from asheville, 2 hours from upstate SC. I would love to be able to go to a meeting and try out a few different styles...although if I'm being perfectly honest it probably would NOT narrow down my CJ list, just expand it... :wink:

I'll have to try the ring sling again - I had only practiced with my cat :shock: before I had a very impatient baby who was not very understanding of my learning curve! If the Moby only worked well for the first 6 months, I would be OK with that - it's relatively inexpensive and by then I'll probably have her in my homemade contraption.

DH had his own pouch last time, too...but since this one will make TWO daughters he has to run around after, I may sew him one in a camo print - maybe it'll help him feel a little more 'manly'. :wink:
    "Things are exactly as they should be, all evidence to the contrary."

password = niner

D4KAm4.png
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    curlyniner wrote:
    ...a swath of fabric about 6 yards long that you wrap around your body every which way and somehow everything meets together and the moon and stars all align and you tie it somewhere and baby seems comfy and mom looks like a cocoon. OK, not really, but the one time I watched someone (who I think was new at it) try and put one on, she looked like a drunk Tazmanian Devil in slow motion.
    I have absolutely no advice (I'm really small and these wraps look like they'd swallow me whole), but: :lol:
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I lived in Phoenix for a while, and tried many slings, but they all made me TOO HOT!!!! My favorite, was made by a woman in Australia (they know about heat there), and was called Koolbaby. I don't think she's in business anymore though. It was a ring sling, with small padded rails, and the body fabric was an open weave cotton stretch mesh. It was very open weave. I couldn't wear those full body wrap type slings, but the open-weave ring-sling was just right.

So, if you're handy with the sewing machine, I think a ring sling incorporating mesh fabric would be the way to go. Here's a pic of my hubby using the mesh sling on a hot July day in Tombstone...doesn't get much hotter than that:

http://public.fotki.com/Redcatwaves/sling/touristsintombstone.html
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I love my ellaroo wrap. It does have an odd earthy smell to it though. I've only wrapped using the newborn front carry method. I dont know how hot I would feel carrying him on my back on on my side. It is a bit toasty but he seems to like it, and so do I.

I also have a pouch style sling (karmababy) and I barely use it. He just sits too far down and he doesn't like being there as much as he likes being higher up on my chest. Maybe when he gets older and can prop his head up I'll return to using the sling.
  • marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    continuing RCW's line of thought you can probably convince any WAHM sling maker to make you a wrap out of solarveil if the bulk and heat are the issue. I've heard some colors are softer than others but you have the great combo of a fine weave mesh that is breathable, can be used in the water and the bonus of sun protection.

Also a sling out of it could work although you'd have to go with the nylon rings for the solarveil I've heard (can't remember why) and I'm not a fan of the nylon ring sling look.

Didn't even realize you were in NC so howdy neighbor! Sorry for the lack of babywearing groups. I remember feeling that way at first in this area in regards to AP people and then they started coming out of the woodwork, forming groups and now I've met tons.

Oh and also when Ian was around 8 months old I decided to give a wrap a try for the first time. I looked up the Mamatoto site which is fabulous and just ripped some cheap, homespun yardage and went to town. The ties are not super hard and once the child gets older and a bit more "grippy" with their limbs easier to do back carries too. My biggest issue though was the constant spreading of the shoulders. By that time Ian was close to 25lbs or so and if I didn't the weight would just dig in and having had great experiences with the pouch and ring sling just didn't feel the tradeoff worth it for me. Good luck though! I lost a ton of carrier fear when I had #2. Chasing a toddler and needing both hands free while carrying the infant does that to you. :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file