How often are you supposed to exfoliate your face?

Starrynite719Starrynite719 Registered Users Posts: 21
I was just wondering how often you are supposed to exfoliate your face.
I do it every week with my St. Ives Apricot Scrub (which I love by the way!!) I was just wondering if anyone else did this more or less often thatn I did.. TIA!! :D:D
~*Lauren*~
2b/3a, fine, thick, dry hair
Past shoulder length, gets wavy when longer and curly when shorter.

Comments

• ddlbugddlbug Registered Users Posts: 1
    I use the St. Ives apricot scrub everyday. It is not too harsh and I love it!
  • britt_dancing_girlbritt_dancing_girl Registered Users Posts: 34
    I love the st. ives apricot scrub too. I use the for oily or ance prone skin kind. I use it every day when i before i go to bed. I find that if i use it in the morning too, it drys my skin out really bad. So i use it before i go to bed then after washing with it i use a tea tree oil facial moisturizer. And in the morning i use a gentle cleanser like the St. ives apricot gentle or Noxzema. It's a great way to keep the skin clear and not dry or oily~!
    Britt - Type 3A curly hair
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    i exfoliate every morning using a soft-bristle face brush to wash my face with Noxema [actually, a generic from the supermarket].

i do it in the morning so i get a smoother surface to apply makeup.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • Mystery_DivaMystery_Diva Registered Users Posts: 3
    I exfoliate about once a week. Personally I find the apricot scrubs all too harsh, as they use ground apricot pits with sharp edges. Be careful with it as it can make tiny tears in your skin.

My cheapo/fantastic tip: Baking Soda. Baking soda, mixed with just enough water to make a paste, is a fantastic gentle exfoliator. I also add a drop of Tea Tree Oil (which is great for blemishes). Plus, it's dirt cheap!
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    Have they changed the apricot scrub? Every dermatologist I've ever had has warned me off of that stuff.
  • britt_dancing_girlbritt_dancing_girl Registered Users Posts: 34
    what do you mean "have they changed it"? I find it great for my face.As long as you don't scrub really hard and use it too many times a day. It works great. They have a Gentle, which i really like too. I use it in the morning, but once those blemishes pop up i use the "for oily or acne prone skin" which has SALICYLIC ACID, which helps treat the blemishes.

I have tried putting baking soda and water together to make a paste and i didn't find it helped my blemishes, plus it gave me a really bad rash on my hands, not on my face just my hands. So i stopped using that.
    Britt - Type 3A curly hair
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    apricot scrubs are made with crushed apricot shells which create small tears in your skin leaving you more vulnerable to infection.

unless they've made a change to them, which is what CGNYC meant!

if they're still made the same way, with crushed shells, they are one of the worst things you can do for blemished skin!
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Registered Users Posts: 1,078
    I use the gentle one in the mornings and I have sensitive, dry skin and I have no problems with it.
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • niknik Registered Users Posts: 109
    I exfoliate about once a week. Personally I find the apricot scrubs all too harsh, as they use ground apricot pits with sharp edges. Be careful with it as it can make tiny tears in your skin.

My cheapo/fantastic tip: Baking Soda. Baking soda, mixed with just enough water to make a paste, is a fantastic gentle exfoliator. I also add a drop of Tea Tree Oil (which is great for blemishes). Plus, it's dirt cheap!

I do the same thing as the apricot scrub is too harsh for my skin as well. Thanks for the tea tree oil tip!
    There will never be another you
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    rouquinne wrote:
    apricot scrubs are made with crushed apricot shells which create small tears in your skin leaving you more vulnerable to infection.

unless they've made a change to them, which is what CGNYC meant!

if they're still made the same way, with crushed shells, they are one of the worst things you can do for blemished skin!

That's what I meant. They're jagged little pieces, bad news for fragile, sensitive, or acne prone (or broken out) skin. Unless they have changed it and the particles are more smooth and rounded. Every derm I've had has warned me off the stuff, one going on to tell me how much damage he sees in starting in women a little older than me (when the stuff came out) on down because for whatever reason, women just can't leave the stuff alone and for many young girls, it's the first "beauty" product they buy. Like I said, maybe they've changed it and the prticles are smoother now. If not, you guys may want to switch to something that isn't tearing up your skin.
  • alelyalely Registered Users Posts: 12
    wow. the baking soda/tea tree oil idea was the best tip ever! i use it everyday on my t-zone and 2x per week on whole face. it works great! especially for blemishes...or lack there of :) thanks!
    "I started my veganism for health reasons, then it became a moral choice, and now it's just to annoy people" :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file