CurlTalk

Curl keeper

Has anyone found anything similar to this? Any alternatives? TIA

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I find Jane Carter [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jane-Carter-Solution-Condition-and-Sculpt-p-159.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=the-jane-carter-solution-condition-sculpt]Condition & Sculpt[/buylink] to be very similar as a frizz-reducing serum, without the gycerin:

Deionized water, camomile flower, comfrey leaf, horstail, nettle, rosemary, hops, henna, certified organic essential oils, lemon, vanilla extract, panthenool, polyquat 11, phenoxyethanol.

Jane Carter also gives me clumpier curls than CurlKeeper which is nice. In terms of hold CK may have an edge since it has a copolymer. I don't use the JCarter without a gel. I bought mine at Whole Foods

Another CK doppelganger is Curls [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Quenched-Curls-Moisturizer-p-889.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Quenched-Curls-Moisturizer]Quenched Curls moisturizer[/buylink] (right down to the peachy smell). Different ingredients though and it also contains glycerin and a peg (water soluble) dimethicone. I bought a sample from www.sistasplace.biz
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users

Interesting- I was thinking about trying this, the way it's described in CurlMart, it sounded quite similar to CK. How much of it do you use, would it be a similar amount to CK? And does it hold up as well against the humidity?

heavengirl410- Some people have compared Aura Hypoallergenic gel to CK. I would say they're similar-ish, but the CK is definitely better. Aura would be an adequate replacement if you couldn't/wouldn't pay for CK.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    Gemini13 wrote:

Interesting- I was thinking about trying this, the way it's described in CurlMart, it sounded quite similar to CK. How much of it do you use, would it be a similar amount to CK? And does it hold up as well against the humidity?

heavengirl410- Some people have compared Aura Hypoallergenic gel to CK. I would say they're similar-ish, but the CK is definitely better. Aura would be an adequate replacement if you couldn't/wouldn't pay for CK.

Same amount. I don't it was raining when I tried it, but it didn't frizz later in the day.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,477Registered Users
    3cCurly wrote:

It can be used as a gel since that's how it was formulated to work, but from other curlies using it as such, it takes alot to use as a sole styler. Seeing how expensive it is, most of us use it to fight frizz underneath a gel, cream or mousse.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] isn't as thick as a gel - its really like a thick water if that makes sense. I'm sure you could drink it through a straw!!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
    Great- now I'm going to have to try this Jane Carter stuff. Thanks a lot guys! :roll: :P
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG

fotki pw= crrrls
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    Suburban- Where did you purchase this Jane Carter stuff from? A health food sture? Online?
    Suburban- Where did you purchase this Jane Carter stuff from? A health food sture? Online?

I get it at Whole Foods. I gotta stay away from the health and beauty aisle.
    comic-p.jpg

• heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    No Whole foods here, I will have to check the other health food stores here, thanks for letting me know!!
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users

I am with you - Whole Foods is just bad for me overall - I am a foodie in addition to being a hair product junkie - it brings out the worst in me for EVERYTHING!!!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users

If you can't find it, and you make online purchases, it's on Curlmart for $8.00
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • kjean2kjean2 Posts: 145Registered Users
    What scent is the Jane Carter Condition and Sculpt? I tried the Nourish and Shine, which is a lemon scent, and really didn't care for it...the scent or what it did to my hair (heavy / greasy).
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Ya know, this board is going to make me go bankrupt! :lol:

I bought a bottle of this today, along with a shea butter leave in that was mentioned in another thread that I have been eyeing for a very long time.

:oops:

Concerning the scent, it has a clean almost soapy smell to my nose. I don't mind it, as long as it's not cloying or fake flower scented, I'm okay with it. Can't wait to see how my hair reacts with this, it's supposed to be a hot weekend.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • chelseacharmschelseacharms Posts: 54Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote:

I am with you - Whole Foods is just bad for me overall - I am a foodie in addition to being a hair product junkie - it brings out the worst in me for EVERYTHING!!!

Is whole foods a natural food place? I dont think we have one where I live.
    We got a tj's tho.
    college student
    www.fotki.com/chelseababy
    pw:curls
    xcptnl wrote:

We got a tj's tho.

Yep it is. Not sure if TJ sells this product line...worth checking out though!
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
    I find Jane Carter [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jane-Carter-Solution-Condition-and-Sculpt-p-159.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=the-jane-carter-solution-condition-sculpt]Condition & Sculpt[/buylink] to be very similar as a frizz-reducing serum, without the gycerin:

Deionized water, camomile flower, comfrey leaf, horstail, nettle, rosemary, hops, henna, certified organic essential oils, lemon, vanilla extract, panthenool, polyquat 11, phenoxyethanol.

Jane Carter also gives me clumpier curls than CurlKeeper which is nice. In terms of hold CK may have an edge since it has a copolymer. I don't use the JCarter without a gel. I bought mine at Whole Foods

Another CK doppelganger is Curls [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Quenched-Curls-Moisturizer-p-889.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Quenched-Curls-Moisturizer]Quenched Curls moisturizer[/buylink] (right down to the peachy smell). Different ingredients though and it also contains glycerin and a peg (water soluble) dimethicone. I bought a sample from www.sistasplace.biz

I stopped at WF on the way to work for the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jane-Carter-Solution-Condition-and-Sculpt-p-159.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=the-jane-carter-solution-condition-sculpt]Condition & Sculpt[/buylink] based on what you said. :lol: I'll test it tomorrow!

xcptnl wrote:

We got a tj's tho.

Yep it is. Not sure if TJ sells this product line...worth checking out though!

My TJ's doesn't carry it. We have no hair care products outside of shampoo and conditioner.

• SherryLSherryL Posts: 82Registered Users
    Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt is the most 'similar' to [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] in my book; however, it does contains silicones for those who are sensitive.

I personally love and use CK (have been using it for years) and it works well for me as a 'single' styler. Of course, I do use cumbersome amounts, but I don't have to purchase other gels to go with it so the price is reasonable in that respect.
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
    I have a question for those of you who use the JC C&S...do you notice your hair hardening up after applying it? I've used it twice so far and each time it hardened my hair and made it almost impossible to rake my styler in. Plus after I scrunched my hair after applying my gel, I immediately noticed I frizz which stayed ever after my hair dried. I apply it after my leave in. Should I try applying it BEFORE my leave in?
    So did anyone else try the Jane Carter stuff yet? I picked some up last week. I used it for a few days, and unfortunately it just didn't do much for me. My hair *felt* incredible, but it was just messy looking- undefined, frizzy, and just generally curling in a kind of weird way. :? Perhaps it *is* the tiny amount of hold that CK has (from the copolymer) that makes the difference. So it's useless for me in the humidity, but I'll probably hang onto it and see how it works in dryer weather, since it does seem to be very moisturizing.
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:

fotki pw= crrrls
  • solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users

Not sure what city you're in here in TX, but you might find this in Central Market.
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
    Gemini13 wrote:
    So did anyone else try the Jane Carter stuff yet? I picked some up last week. I used it for a few days, and unfortunately it just didn't do much for me. My hair *felt* incredible, but it was just messy looking- undefined, frizzy, and just generally curling in a kind of weird way. :? Perhaps it *is* the tiny amount of hold that CK has (from the copolymer) that makes the difference. So it's useless for me in the humidity, but I'll probably hang onto it and see how it works in dryer weather, since it does seem to be very moisturizing.

Ughz, I find it drying! :( My hair doesn't seem to like the Jane Carter stuff. =/ I have to play around with it and see if I can find another way of using it...
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote:

OMG that place is like a crackhouse! I stay in there forever and inevitably come out broke. :oops: I love it though. Mmm... feta cheese stuffed olives...
    I get most of my hair and skin stuff at Whole Foods.
    Now I have something new to look for. :P
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fthekittenavenger" class="Popup
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    meriellyn wrote:
    xcptnl wrote:

OMG that place is like a crackhouse! I stay in there forever and inevitably come out broke. :oops: I love it though. Mmm... feta cheese stuffed olives...
    I get most of my hair and skin stuff at Whole Foods.
    Now I have something new to look for. :P

I was right near a whole foods today - but I was with my SO who does not share my love of hair care products and I really didnt need any food to try and lure him in there and then just happen to wander down the hair care aisle. Those trips are better done alone because he will see the glazed look in my eyes and wonder what the hell is wrong with me :shock:

Fixed quote.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~