chemically relaxing/straightening

aleysone252525aleysone252525 Posts: 2Registered Users
I'm 15 and I want to get my curly hair chemically relaxed, but my mom thinks that it is really bad for your hair and I need a way to convince her to let me get it done, so does anyone know where I could get it done at a reasonable price that is not that damaging? (or maybe an alternative)

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I highly suggest that you do not do it.
    3b-3c CG
  • Suzy ZannSuzy Zann Posts: 272Registered Users
    I used to get the Thermal Reconditioning done to my hair. It looked wonderful the first few times I did it.

It cost me $500 each time to get it done (not including tip) I would have to go back every 8 months or so because any new hair grows in curly which is a completely different texture from your treated hair. If you don't treat the new growth as well, half of your hair will be stick straight and the roots will be curly. Not a good look. If you are going to do this make sure that you're able to drop upwards of $600 a year on your hair.

I loved it when I was first getting it done but after about two years or so my hair started snapping off pretty much at the root, falling out in clumps and looking really, really, really bad. There are only so many times you can do this to your hair before you destroy it. I decided that if I wanted to have any hair left I would have to stop doing it. This meant I had to grow my hair out. Half my hair was treated and the new growth was not. It looked terrible for a long time until I had grown enough untreated hair to cut it off all the treated hair.

I was going to a really good salon in NYC and getting it done by people with lots of experience so I can only imagine what would have happened if I tried to find a cheaper place.

I'll be honest with you, it's great when you first start doing it and it's wonderful to have wash and go hair but eventually it will destroy your hair even if you go to a high end salon.

I really wouldn't recommend doing it. You are much better off getting a really good straightening iron.
  • Libra08Libra08 Posts: 242Registered Users
    DO NOT get your hair relaxed!!! Just learn to love your curly hair :D and don't even think about getting it hot combed or flat ironed regularly....you'll regret like I do. I wish I had learned to love my curly hair a year ago :cry:
    comic-p.jpg
  • aleysone252525aleysone252525 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Ok, I guess I won't get it done... maybe I'll just get a really good straightening iron
  • Rose_x3Rose_x3 Posts: 5Registered Users
    I have the same issue.. i have reallllly tight curls (like 3c) and i hate it! theres way too much volume even if i do tackle the frizz. =\
    Soo.. i think I'm gona try getting it relaxed, becuase i would really like to be able to wear it down more without having to straighten it =\

Also, if your'e going to get the straightening iron, and you don't already have this kind, i would strongly recomment the Chi brand! it works wonderfully, even with my hair!
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think you should try to work with your hair and experiment with techniques to get the look that you want. However, if you insist on relaxing, you should definitely understand the damage a relaxer could cause if not done properly or if the relaxed hair is not taken care of gently. I would first suggest looking into Ouidad's softening method; Christo also has one and so does Miss Jessie's. These are relaxers but they are gentler than others and are meant to loosen the curl pattern instead of straigtening. HTH
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    Thank you!
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a friend that did the Japanese relaxer (the name escapes me) and she loved it at first. She has 3A hair, really long and beautiful. She didn't need a relaxer, but thought that the Japanese version of it would be better. She could finally wash and go and have straight hair. It probably didn't help that we used to make fun of her "afro" and say that people were trapped inside LOL Well I saw her again a year later and she was miserable. She missed her long curly hair and this chemical in her hair was damaging her hair, she couldn't get her hair curly to save her life, and her waist length hair was falling out.

I relaxed my hair for 26 yrs not by choice but because my mom put this stuff in my hair before I got a chance to love my natural hair. You should try to embrace your curls and find ways to comb it without having to use a relaxer. The problem I have with relaxers is that its permanent. Once you go there there's nothing you can do except grow it out and cut your hair. I know its a pain and you're probably dying to have manageable hair, but trust me relaxers make it harder not easier. I suggest you visit a salon and ask them to rollerset your hair.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Ohh.. so maybe it's not worth doing, but my mom's making me an appointment hopefully soon at a salon so i can ask a ton of questions about it anyway! lol I just thought I might like to try a relaxer rather than just get my hair compeltely straightened. When I was in 6th grade my mom bought one of those at-home striahgtening kits and it ruined my hair! She had no idea what she was doing! Plus, my hair didn't even turn out straight, it was just really frizzy and damaged =\
    The main reason I wanted to get it done was because my hair looks so short because its so curly and i hate that. It takes forever to grow out !>:O

*Thank you for the advice!*
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    Rose_x3 wrote:
    I have the same issue.. i have reallllly tight curls (like 3c) and i hate it! theres way too much volume even if i do tackle the frizz. =\
    Soo.. i think I'm gona try getting it relaxed, becuase i would really like to be able to wear it down more without having to straighten it =\

Also, if your'e going to get the straightening iron, and you don't already have this kind, i would strongly recomment the Chi brand! it works wonderfully, even with my hair!

You should probably just stick to straightening it with the Chi. I know there are some less damaging relaxers out there but honestly none of them are good for your hair and I dont think relaxed hair ever looks as shiny and straight as heat straightened hair
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Suzy Zann wrote:
    I used to get the Thermal Reconditioning done to my hair. It looked wonderful the first few times I did it.

It cost me $500 each time to get it done (not including tip) I would have to go back every 8 months or so because any new hair grows in curly which is a completely different texture from your treated hair. If you don't treat the new growth as well, half of your hair will be stick straight and the roots will be curly. Not a good look. If you are going to do this make sure that you're able to drop upwards of $600 a year on your hair.

I loved it when I was first getting it done but after about two years or so my hair started snapping off pretty much at the root, falling out in clumps and looking really, really, really bad. There are only so many times you can do this to your hair before you destroy it. I decided that if I wanted to have any hair left I would have to stop doing it. This meant I had to grow my hair out. Half my hair was treated and the new growth was not. It looked terrible for a long time until I had grown enough untreated hair to cut it off all the treated hair.

I was going to a really good salon in NYC and getting it done by people with lots of experience so I can only imagine what would have happened if I tried to find a cheaper place.

I'll be honest with you, it's great when you first start doing it and it's wonderful to have wash and go hair but eventually it will destroy your hair even if you go to a high end salon.

I really wouldn't recommend doing it. You are much better off getting a really good straightening iron.

Thanks for this post. I am debating getting tr done and am scared about possible long term damage from it. Still turning it over in my mind. I might do it once and see how it goes.

Any other thoughts??
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file