Growing out relaxed hair

cmb127cmb127 Posts: 14Registered Users
I relaxed my hair exactly 2 years ago, and I hated it. Its still hard to wear it completely curly because some parts of it are more curly than others, and some parts are not curly at all. Shouldnt my hair be grown out by now?

Comments

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    :( Unfortunately the only way to grow out a relaxer is by letting it grow and cutting the relaxed hair. How much length do you have? If it was done 2 yrs ago then it should be pretty long. I would go to a hairdresser and cut off the parts that you know are relaxed and just continue growing. I'm sure that it'll look healthier and the curls will look better.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• cmb127cmb127 Posts: 14Registered Users
    Yeah, I have been trying to grow it out, I usually cut a few inches off every 3 months or so. I think its all grown out, but, and I dont remeber if my hair was like this before relaxing it, some parts of my hair a like completely flat, where as others are like tight, tight tight curls, making it very hard to deal with.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have known people whose hair has been changed after relaxing or perming. Sometimes the changes are permanent, but it could also be temporary. If you take good care of your hair, it will eventually be beautiful again. It may not be as curly as it was before, but if it is healthy, it will be beautiful.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    cmb127 wrote:
    Yeah, I have been trying to grow it out, I usually cut a few inches off every 3 months or so. I think its all grown out, but, and I dont remeber if my hair was like this before relaxing it, some parts of my hair a like completely flat, where as others are like tight, tight tight curls, making it very hard to deal with.

See that's my fear. I haven't had a full head of natural hair since 1981 and sometimes I'm afraid that the texture won't be the same. Right now I have no idea so I'll just keep growing. If you only did it once then you should be in better shape than us that have been doing this forever.

The good news is you haven't had a relaxer for 2 whole years and that's awesome. Keep growing it out and trimming. You probably need a different product in your hair to make the curls come alive. I wish I could recommend something but my hair doesn't curl yet.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    Now that I think of it, I'm glad that I got highlights around the same time I got a curl reducer relaxer, because w/o them, I don't think I'd be able to tell the line where natural starts!
    3b-3c CG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file