whats your hair product belief?

curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
i have lots of hair care products: conditioners, cleansers, shampoos, styling aids. i haven't ordered anything in almost an entire month i think. and im ok! :shock: my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]too shea[/buylink] is gone, but im trying to hold off until i start my job.

i dont necessarily need a single holy grail product. actually, i'd prefer to have lots of products that perform when i need them to, in w/e function that may be: straight or curly, big clumps or little clumps, smooth or springy. :D

also, what does "holy grail" mean to you in terms of hair care products? a single perfect product? a brand? a combination of two or more products?
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.

Comments

• NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    To me, HG means something simple which works every time, so I'm happy with my hair that day.

Sure, sickness or bad moods may make days an exception. But if it only works if it's really dry out, only when it's raining, totally fails under wind, etc., it's not an HG to me.

I don't have a specific "this is my HG" type of item, but think I could come up with a few.

I don't count it not working to make my hair look different ways as not being an HG-ie, a curly HG, a wavy HG and a straight HG can still be HG's, even if they only work with one style or another.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • Lady ShellyLady Shelly Registered Users Posts: 1
    My hair likes Dove Intense Moisture Conditioner. I've been using it for about 6 moths if not longer and in February I started CO washing with it 3 to 6 times weekly. WOW!!!! The difference it has made is just unbelievable. Before I couldn't keep the damage away at all. The dryness was causing a lot of damage. Now I still try to find something better but everything I have tried doesn't do nearly what the Dove does for my hair and I have tried a lot fo things.
    Shelly
    3aFii
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly West Palm Beach, FLRegistered Users Posts: 907
    Aha! You wrote me to let me know you can't use oils because you shampoo only once a month. However, Dove conditioners are not CG-friendly so that gives me a clue as to why your hair "rejects" oils. I think you need to read this thread AND the article in it: http://naturallycurly2.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=36367
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • eastcoastwaveseastcoastwaves Registered Users Posts: 54
    I personally have never found just one product that performs the same way everytime I use it. There are too many variables involved; weather, diet, moisture/humidity in the air, season, have I been working out a lot more lately, build up in hair, etc. I have a few products that when perform well for me as long as i use them under the correct circumdtances. Eg, Biolage ultra hydrating balm works really well after an acv rinse, or in the drier months, but I know not to use it every single day in say, August...too heavy. Also, heavier creams & gels for styling work better for my waves in summer when the humidity is high and I need that extra definition, but I find I need almost no product in the dry, cold winter, just a drop pf oil in the tips. kwim?
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got"

2b
  • eastcoastwaveseastcoastwaves Registered Users Posts: 54
    I just realized I didn't even really answer the question! I consider ant product that works really well under correct circumstances to be a HG.
    My hair lets me know each day what it is going to do...i just try to keep up!

Possibly a 2a, with the right products & diffusing I am easily a 2b curly. When I air dry (which is 99.9% of the time) very loose waves that loosely corkskrew at the ends. the longer it gets, the more ringlet-y it gets at the ends. Top : FLAT.
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got"

2b
  • kwkw Registered Users Posts: 13
  • Aries_jbAries_jb Registered Users Posts: 1,556
    For me, I don't believe in a holy grail product. I have found that what works best for my hair is a leave-in and a gel, and that most products that fall under that catagory work. To me, it's more of a matter of getting the right amounts than the right product.
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • curls&swirlscurls&swirls Registered Users Posts: 70
    I believe the Holy Grail of Hair isn't a product, but a routine. I seem to have found mine, at least for the remainder of the summer and fall. I've been doing this for at least 2 weeks and have not had a single bad hair day in all that time. Which is astounding considering that I was also having PMS for 10 days of that 2 weeks and that usually makes my hair freak out.

SHampoo: Creme of Nature for Normal Hair
    Condish: Pantene Relaxed and Natural Conditioner
    Leave-In: Infusium-23 for dry damaged hair
    Mousse: Tresseme Curl Enhancing mousse

Poo and condish every other day. Wet hair in between days to soaking. Blot and scrunch with towel til not dripping. Apply Infusium from a spray bottle and scrunch in gently. Lean over and scrunch in mousse. Let air dry. Gently scrunch out any crunch.
    Don't keep up with the Joneses....drag them down to your level--Quentin Crisp
  • SheamarSheamar Registered Users Posts: 23
    I believe that there are some products that are just "heaven sent", I've always wanted a product that moisturizes, holds my curls in its natural state (not altering it) de-frizzes, and doesn't weigh it down, all that without leaving it oily, greasy, hard or a residue when it dries.
    So, low and behold I finally found my product from the Miss Jessie"s line..like all products some may be great to one person and just plain bad for another...all I can say is,, finding a great product/s is possible...even if you experiment and mix your own.
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Registered Users Posts: 1,261
    In general I don't believe in a single HG in the popular meaning of the term. Yes, some products can make more of a difference than others, particularly early on, and everyone has ingredients their hair likes/ doesn't like, but over time I've noticed that the thing that makes the biggest difference is how you *treat* your hair physically.

To me, an HG is really just a product/combination/etc. that can perform consistently. It may not get rid of all your frizz, or keep you moisturised year-round, or heal your damage all the time, but when called upon to perform, it will. I've had a product combo that was this kind of HG to me, but it has never been a single product outside of 'first time fabulous' experiences.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • SaroyanSaroyan Registered Users Posts: 398
    I've found that it's less about the products I use than the state of my hair underneath the product. Sure, I probably wouldn't use Ecostyler in single-digit dews, but aside from those obvious misses I don't notice an enormous difference from one product to the next. What does make a difference is how healthy my hair is: if my conditioners are moisturizing enough, how long it's been since my last protein treatment. But I'm also more comfortable by now letting my hair do its thing, not worrying too much about curl pattern or enhancement. If it's soft, healthy, and not a frizzbomb, I'll take it.

I think the best parts of CG for me have been, first, getting to know my natural hair to the point where I can more or less gauge what it needs to stay healthy, and second, getting to this state of zen acceptance about it being my natural hair, and not trying to make it something that it isn't. And then the idea of the holy grail becomes sort of besides the point.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file