Deoderants and Anti-persperants

britt_dancing_girlbritt_dancing_girl Registered Users Posts: 34
Hi guys. Umm... i have a bad sweating problem on my underams. It's not just when it's hot though, it's nerves that makes me perspire even worse. Does anyone else have this problem and if so could anyone recommend a really good deo. or anit -p. that would help. I don't want something that will be too strong that it could cause cancer(maybe thats still a myth, maybe not?) It's just really embarassing cause i can't wear light t shirts cause of the big dark wet spot under my arms. I've had to through away alot of t-shirts and such cause of this. So has anyone used a product that really helps? I've tried using womens and mens deoderants/perspirants. Dove, Degree, Secret, Certain Dry,Jasons, Speed Stick, Gilette, Old Spice, Mitchum, Arm and Hammer, ALL DO NOT WORK FOR ME. Any help here please or do i have to live with this awful and embarassing problem my whole life. Thanks guys!
Britt - Type 3A curly hair

Comments

• curls&swirlscurls&swirls Registered Users Posts: 70
    My husband had good luck with the deoderant stone you buy from the healthfood store. He sweats profusely, but with the stone he doesn't have any odor. Of course, I believe you sweat for a reason and if you stop sweating in the heat something is wrong, so just evidence of sweating is not going to bother me. Good luck.
    Don't keep up with the Joneses....drag them down to your level--Quentin Crisp
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Check with your Dr. My aunt had a problem and he put her on a prescription brand deodorant and it's helped alot.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • britt_dancing_girlbritt_dancing_girl Registered Users Posts: 34
    Hi guys. Umm... i have a bad sweating problem on my underams. It's not just when it's hot though, it's nerves that makes me perspire even worse. Does anyone else have this problem and if so could anyone recommend a really good deo. or anit -p. that would help. I don't want something that will be too strong that it could cause cancer(maybe thats still a myth, maybe not?) It's just really embarassing cause i can't wear light t shirts cause of the big dark wet spot under my arms. I've had to through away alot of t-shirts and such cause of this. So has anyone used a product that really helps? I've tried using womens and mens deoderants/perspirants. Dove, Degree, Secret, Certain Dry,Jasons, Speed Stick, Gilette, Old Spice, Mitchum, Arm and Hammer, ALL DO NOT WORK FOR ME. Any help here please or do i have to live with this awful and embarassing problem my whole life. Thanks guys!
  • rubyloxxrubyloxx Registered Users Posts: 89 Curl Connoisseur
    My husband had good luck with the deoderant stone you buy from the healthfood store. He sweats profusely, but with the stone he doesn't have any odor. Of course, I believe you sweat for a reason and if you stop sweating in the heat something is wrong, so just evidence of sweating is not going to bother me. Good luck.

yeah I heard "the rock" (I think thats what it's called) from basin.com works really well. My sister says they mention it in JLo's movie Enough. Or show it. I haven't seen the movie yet (eventhough I own it) so I'm not sure myself.
    3 b/c curls with bangs.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
    Degree is good.

Alcohol works too. It will dry your pits out for sure. The kind you get at a drugstore, not the kind you drink! :D You could also try Vinegar or lemon juice.

antiperspirant=no wetness
    deodorant=no odor

have you tried roll-ons? maybe those would work better for you than the dry sticks. or vice versa. just a suggestion. :)

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • SmithsGirlSmithsGirl Registered Users Posts: 100
    Some drugstores sell something called "Certain-Dri" that is supposed to work very well and is paraben-free, if that's a concern for you. My male friend that uses it has hyperhydrosis and describes it as "it slows me down but doesn't stop me." His wife uses it and finds she only needs to use it once a week, and she stays sweat and odor free. If your sweat level is somewhere in the middle, it might work well for you.
    "In the days when you were hopeless and poor, I just liked you more."

formerly jodib70
    3a/3b, baby fine; growth goal: bra strap length.
    hi guys, while i'm still hesitant to use anti-persperants i was hopeing that maybe some of you have read or heard of anything about Anti-p. causing breast cancer.? Has anyone read or know if this is true? I've asked my doctor to give me a perscripton deoderant or anti-p. but the pharmasist says that there aren't any. I asked the doctor about the link between breast cancer and anti-p. and she says that it isn't true. BUT i asked the pharmasist and she said that it is a cause. So who do i believe? Has anyone else got some information about the breast cancer link with anti-persperant?

ps. - deoderants just don't work for me. I don't have an odor problem it's a wetness thing.
  • kinkihairkinkihair Registered Users Posts: 54
    MYTH
    Read this from the American Cancer Society's website.

I would recommend seeing a doctor about the heavy sweats just to make sure nothing else is going on. If you are cleared medically, then try some of the treatments others have suggested.
    hi guys, while i'm still hesitant to use anti-persperants i was hopeing that maybe some of you have read or heard of anything about Anti-p. causing breast cancer.? Has anyone read or know if this is true? I've asked my doctor to give me a perscripton deoderant or anti-p. but the pharmasist says that there aren't any. I asked the doctor about the link between breast cancer and anti-p. and she says that it isn't true. BUT i asked the pharmasist and she said that it is a cause. So who do i believe? Has anyone else got some information about the breast cancer link with anti-persperant?

ps. - deoderants just don't work for me. I don't have an odor problem it's a wetness thing.
    nappy haired girls unite!

afro-american 4a/3b
  • alelyalely Registered Users Posts: 12
    i use avon. i sweat when i get nervous :oops: anyway one of my girlfriends recommended avon so i gave it a whirl and they work better than anything ever plus they are only .99 cents! anti-persperant/deodorant
    "I started my veganism for health reasons, then it became a moral choice, and now it's just to annoy people" :p
    okay thanks a lot Sally T! I regularly order stuff from the Avon catalogues. I will definatly (sp) try it!! :D I've just never had something that worked. We got something in common we = both sweat when we get nervous!!Thanks again!!
  • alelyalely Registered Users Posts: 12
    no problem-o. good luck :)
    "I started my veganism for health reasons, then it became a moral choice, and now it's just to annoy people" :p
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    To ALL:

Well, I think that article is misleading
    , mainstream medicine strikes again! Just because one study didn't find anything conclusive doesn't mean it is at least a main contributing factor (I believe constantly wearing a bra is another). The armpits are a key site where the lymphatic system, which is the toxin drainage and bacteria-fighting clearinghouse of the body, dumps what it collects mainly from the breasts. You only need to use your brain to realize that constantly blocking the drainage of those toxins leaves the tissues overexposed to possible damage. So, listen to me ladies, it AlWAYS takes lots of years for things like this to be confirmed, I prefer to be on the safe side and only use an a/p when I think I could be embarrassed, the rest of the time a natural deodorant. And there's more danger to a/ps than b.c., the active ingredient contains aluminum, which can be toxic, and suspected among other things of causing Alzheimer's Disease.

By the way, to those that suggested the deodorant crystal, I used it too thinking it was safe, well, I recently found out that it isn't, it contains ammonium alum which is really another form of aluminum.

britt_dancing_girl:

There are pad/dress shields you can order online and from some catalogs to keep your clothes dry while allowing your body to do what it's supposed to do. I did a search for you and here's an example: http://www.comfywear.com/
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • spiderman5000spiderman5000 Registered Users Posts: 673 Curl Connoisseur
    Do mens deoderants/anti persperants work?
    I think all antiperspirants contain pretty much the same active ingredient, men's deodorant might have a higher concentration though.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

In my experience it takes many years for things like this to be proved and in the meantime that economic interests of this world mount an active campaign of denial. I saw this happen with tobacco, then with sugar, various chemicals and medications that have come out of the market, still see it happening with amalgam tooth fillings. Only when the evidence is blinding are some willing to concede that "it may be true". At least to be on the safe side "just in case" we should not use a.p. on a daily basis (if possible) because it's simply not natural and anything that isn't sooner or later has some kind of consecuence.

As for the sources of those articles, the CTFA appears to be an organization that promotes the interestest of the cosmetic industry, in other words it could be biased. As for the Canada Cancer site I have no idea who/what is behind it for me to trust their information is completely impartial.

We could likely debate this indefinitely. Again I suggest consulting with a doctor, and then deciding on whether you want to try some of the alternate suggestions that have been listed here.

I hope it works out well for you.

afro-american 4a/3b
    Here is some more on this subject...

http://www.jaynesgarden.com/Body/deodorants.htm

this agrees with you halfwavyhalfcurly :)

Does anyone know of something natural i can use to stop the sweating... curlyara said ' vinegar, alcohol, or lemon juice' does anyone know if this actually works?
    The problem is is that a lot of what some of you guys are recommending i have tried and doesn't work. Even 'Certain Dry' which is suppose to be like really really good. Degree, secret, arid xx, none of them work. So maybe something like alcohol will work... i will try it and right back to let you guys know how it works :D
    Have you been to the doctor? I think i would want to make sure the excess sweating isn't symptomatic of something else going on.
    Here is some more on this subject...

http://www.jaynesgarden.com/Body/deodorants.htm

this agrees with you halfwavyhalfcurly :)

Does anyone know of something natural i can use to stop the sweating... curlyara said ' vinegar, alcohol, or lemon juice' does anyone know if this actually works?
    The problem is is that a lot of what some of you guys are recommending i have tried and doesn't work. Even 'Certain Dry' which is suppose to be like really really good. Degree, secret, arid xx, none of them work. So maybe something like alcohol will work... i will try it and right back to let you guys know how it works :D

afro-american 4a/3b
    yeah i have been to the doctor... i am only 13...
    but she says it's just nerves, i asked if she could give me a perscription deoderant/persperant... but she said there aren't any.
    That kinda sucks. I was getting a little concerned because my sister has thyroid problem and started producing breast milk and was pregnant and hadn't had a baby. They only found the thyroid condition because of of trying to find out why her body was producing milk. They finally had to surgically close some of the ducts.

If it is nerves I would work on doing some relaxation exercises. You could probably find some good ones by doing a quick google. To protect your clothes I would look into buying some dress shields. They are little pads that you wear to keep from staining your clothes. They may also help to absorbs some of the moisture from when you sweat. I wonder if keeping your arms shaved might help. (Don't know for sure, but worth a try) I guess lastly just use whatever deodorant you are comfortable with. Maybe also buy travel sizes that you can keep in your purse for when you go to school. You could also carry the travel packs of baby wipes, so you can freshed up in the middle of the day if need be.

I hope it works for you.
    yeah i have been to the doctor... i am only 13...
    but she says it's just nerves, i asked if she could give me a perscription deoderant/persperant... but she said there aren't any.

afro-american 4a/3b
    okay, thanks... it just sucks because i can't wear t'shirts in light pretty colors, like pink and light blue, etc. Yeah.. i guess i'll buy a travel size deoderant to put in my purse, for at school. I'm pretty sure it's just nerves since i have a bad shaking problem too, i can't control it.My hands start shaking and they'll feel numb. I also have extremely low blood sugar level. Good idea about a relaxation excesise, i dance (tap,jazz, ballet) do yoga, and go to the gym for fun... but maybe doing yoga in the morning before school will help a bit. Thanks for writing.
    Try the dress shields
    okay, thanks... it just sucks because i can't wear t'shirts in light pretty colors, like pink and light blue, etc. .

afro-american 4a/3b
    okay, i think i will try them. Thanks for all your help. Do you know if they ship to canada, and if the prices are canadian or american?
    There's a customer service number on the site, you could call and ask about shipping to Canada. I'm pretty sure those are US prices. You could also try a search on google canda or yahoo canada for stores in Canada.
    okay, i think i will try them. Thanks for all your help. Do you know if they ship to canada, and if the prices are canadian or american?

afro-american 4a/3b
    okay,thanks again for all your help. :D
  • MzShvyMzShvy Registered Users Posts: 121
    I tried something new this week, and it's working reat. ( I get the nerves sweats, too) It's Arrid Extra Dry CREAM. It's a cream that you rub into your arm pit, and it has kept me dry all week, even when I workout! I broke a sweat yesterday when I was running, but it was about 90 outside, so I was more than impressed! (and I'd be worry if I didn't sweat at all) Anyway, worth a try!
    MzShvy

"If we get a little crazy, blame it on the alcohol." Pat Green
  • jennifer ^v^jennifer ^v^ Registered Users Posts: 16
    I've had the same problem all of my life, and I'll be honest--I've rarely found anything that worked. I've been through everything over-the-counter, organic, and a lot of the prescription deodorants.

One thing that my mother recommended to me (which her doctor gave to her) is something called Drysol. It's a liquid, I forgot the main ingredient, but it's applied with a cotton ball. Years ago before the formulation was changed, I could get away with just one application a week, and it stopped my perspiration. The main downfall was that it burned horribly that first night I applied it, which is why I stopped using it.

The one OTC anti-perspirant I've used that worked was Arrid XXX Dry spray, but I can't find that one anymore so I switched to Arrid XX Dry solid.

I've found that the application of the anti-perspirant is almost as important as the product itself. I make sure to rub it in (ironically, with one of those crystal stone deodorant things that I purchased that did absolutely nothing for me), and this helps a lot.

Beyond this, I don't know what to tell you.

Good luck.
  • AnijAnij Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hi - I totally understand what you're going thru - sorry to chime in so late , BUT better late than never!

I noticed you're in Canada aswell - if you've ruled out anything medical being "wrong" ( you said you've talked to the doctor) ask your doctor if "Drysol" would be ok.

This is an over the counter antipers. - however you have to ask the pharmasist - it's keep behind the counter but you don't need a Rx for it :) You use it at night depending on your system you might need to use it a couple times a week - once a week , or even once every feww weeks - it makes a HUGE difference.

I noticed alittle "burning" the first couple times I used it ... but found if I didn't shave my underarms for at least a couple days before it was much better - also you really only have to use a tiny amount ( I was putting too much on and instead to lightly touching the skin wiht the cotton ball , I was kinda rubbing it on - which is a NO... lightly applying is the key.

Drysol is avalible thruout Canada - it's about $9.00-13.00 but it will last you between 6-12months becasue you only use it occassionally.

Hope that helps ...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file