Detangling

sidittysiditty Posts: 62Registered Users
Do you other women find the longer you go without washing/cowashing your hair, the harder it is to detangle?

I am noticing if I wash every three days, my hair is wonderful, no problems, but if I wait a whole week, it is tangle city?

I try to keep my hands out of my head except for necessary styling, why do you think it tangles more, is it trying to dread on me?

Comments

• KellKell Posts: 201Registered Users
    Well, I have to rinse every couple of days. But Im just rinsing, and using conditioner. I dont think any 3c can go a week without wetting their hair, it would be tangled yeah.
    J&J Baby Shampoo fugged up my hair! :thumbdown:
  • curladvocatecurladvocate Posts: 33Registered Users
    i have to rinse and detangle every day
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    I agree, I have to do wet, condition and detangle every other day.
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • KellKell Posts: 201Registered Users
    Ive been doing only once/week lately. I can wear it down until day 4, then I tie it back. I would wash every other day, but Im noided that my hair might thin from overdetangling.
    J&J Baby Shampoo fugged up my hair! :thumbdown:
  • natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    siditty wrote:
    Do you other women find the longer you go without washing/cowashing your hair, the harder it is to detangle?

I used to experience the same thing. I couldn't go more than a couple of days without co-washing & detangling. But for the last four weeks, I've been detangling only once a week...

On detangle day (once a week):
    -wash with conditioner (or with a sulfate-free shampoo if I have buildup)
    - deep condition
    - rinse, apply leave-in/detangler
    - detangle section by section
    - finger coil (http://missjessies.com/coil-out101.htm) let dry/diffuse & separate.

Every Other day:
    Dry days: take off satin bonnet, remove clips, fluff & go... or fluff & puff :D
    re-wetting days: conditioner rinse (low agitation), leave in, light gel and plop/dry

With this process - when I detangle, I've noticed that my hair isn't any more tangled than from when I would detangle every time I wet it. And my curls are more defined with re-wetting the coil-out as compared to when I would detangle and fingerstyle just about every day...

I'm thinking that maybe the coil-out is helping to "set" my curl pattern?? And that when I do re-wet my curls during the week - I'm just reviving my coil-out - instead of detangling and starting all over again (if that makes sense) :D
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
  • frizzbegonefrizzbegone Posts: 137Registered Users
    I rinse ever 3 days but I wet my hair every 2 days or as needed.
    3c
    Relaxer free since '96. TIGI Bed Head Control Freak Shampoo, TIGI Bed Head Foxy Curls condish, Let's Jam Conditioning Gel Extra Hold, IC Tea Tree Instant Moisturizer, and African Royale hot six oil
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    4 days is tops for me. Good detanglers for my dry hair are Qhemet Olive Cream Detangler and conditioner (also super on wet or damp) & Anita Grant Creamy Caffe Latte.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • momo7momo7 Posts: 478Registered Users
    yea i agree, I can't go too long w/o washing or else it breaks badly form being too tangled. I gotta wash at least every few days, preferably every day (I'm too lazy for that) or every other day. I can't do te co-wash thing anymore b/c I get buildup super fast so, I actually have to wash with shampoo (pantene hydrating curls) and conditioner (pantene hydrating curls).
  • luvnmycurlzluvnmycurlz Posts: 36Registered Users
    I've definitely noticed this. I can probably go 3-4 days tops and I definitely have to make certain to add plenty of conditioner to my ends before I begin detangling.
  • ItsiRCItsiRC Posts: 335Registered Users
    natashamck wrote:
    siditty wrote:

I used to experience the same thing. I couldn't go more than a couple of days without co-washing & detangling. But for the last four weeks, I've been detangling only once a week...

On detangle day (once a week):
    -wash with conditioner (or with a sulfate-free shampoo if I have buildup)
    - deep condition
    - rinse, apply leave-in/detangler
    - detangle section by section
    - finger coil (http://missjessies.com/coil-out101.htm) let dry/diffuse & separate.

Every Other day:
    Dry days: take off satin bonnet, remove clips, fluff & go... or fluff & puff :D
    re-wetting days: conditioner rinse (low agitation), leave in, light gel and plop/dry

With this process - when I detangle, I've noticed that my hair isn't any more tangled than from when I would detangle every time I wet it. And my curls are more defined with re-wetting the coil-out as compared to when I would detangle and fingerstyle just about every day...

I'm thinking that maybe the coil-out is helping to "set" my curl pattern?? And that when I do re-wet my curls during the week - I'm just reviving my coil-out - instead of detangling and starting all over again (if that makes sense) :D

after reading your routine, i decided to give it a try. i am so happy with the results, i have to rinse my hair daily from exercise, and i hate having to detangle everyday. this style gets cuter after ever rinse. thanks so much!!!
    I'm going to Mexico until this bills business blows over.

pw:master shake

.png
  • holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    I read at frizzoff.com that its good to detangle to remove the bulk,my hair won`t curl if I don`t detangle.I wash my hair every 2 days or so and I detangle with the comb once a week.The other times I just use my fingers to detangle.Adding shea butter to my sauve conditoner is a great moisterizer for my hair If I don`t add anything to my hair it would be very frizzy.I would love to have blended beauty conditioner again but its too expensive for me right now.I started to rinse my hair with baking soda before I do my co-wash. Does anyone know if it really removes dirt?
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
  • natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    ItsiRC wrote:
    after reading your routine, i decided to give it a try. i am so happy with the results, i have to rinse my hair daily from exercise, and i hate having to detangle everyday. this style gets cuter after ever rinse. thanks so much!!!

You're Welcome :D Your hair is too cute by the way!
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
    I would love to try that Miss Jessies coil out technique but with Qhemet or something else. The idea of going 4 days dry and still looking good.... I can't believe how much Buttercreme they used on her hair!
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    siditty I was browsing your fotki pictures and I love your hair!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    I wash my hair with shampoo every 4-5 days,and detangle with my fingers,then I put on conditioner mostly cholesterol,and go about my shower routine,then wash it out.I put leave-in conditioner in my hair and then my activator gel on top on that and I comb through my hair and then put it into a long ponytail,and braid it and pin it up on top of my head.So,it seems if I detangle with my fingers in the shower,I don't have any problems when I put product in.
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • sidittysiditty Posts: 62Registered Users
    mariag002 wrote:
    siditty I was browsing your fotki pictures and I love your hair!
    ]

Thank you very much....I am working on growing it out, and deciding what to do with it because my front has more 3b tendencies than my back, which is more 3c, even 4a in some places
    I was reading on another forum one woman only detangled every 2 weeks. I was like - WTF :shock:

Something new I'm doing is detangling dry hair with Afro Detangler then twisting or braiding overnight. I ran out of it and used Qhemet Olive Detangler. I just finger comb before twisting/braiding. Nice way to add moisture to the hair.
    comic-p.jpg

• GeminiLeslieGeminiLeslie Posts: 190Registered Users
    I was reading on another forum one woman only detangled every 2 weeks. I was like - WTF :shock:

Something new I'm doing is detangling dry hair with Afro Detangler then twisting or braiding overnight. I ran out of it and used Qhemet Olive Detangler. I just finger comb before twisting/braiding. Nice way to add moisture to the hair.

I've been doing that too..sort of. But I've been use either a little olive oil or shea butter and rub it on my ends before i braid it up. Then in the morning I unbraid and dampen my hair a little, then hop in the shower. The steam makes my hair fluffy again :)
    Mostly 4a..crazy hair

Currently using: 100% Aloe Vera Gel :), VO5 Conditioners for Co-Washes, Jojoba and Africa's Best Oils, GV Biolage Conditioning Balm :), Cream of Nature Detangling Shampoo, ACV rinses, Herbal Tea Rinses (rarely), Alba Botanica Leave-in

Goal: healthy hair and longer hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file