domperidone to increase milk supply?

beliciousbelicious Registered Users Posts: 196
Has anyone used domperidone to increase their milk supply? I am taking fenugreek seed right now, but a lactation specialist has suggested I get domperidone also. Here's link to info on it: http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/Dom19abcombinedpdf.pdf
Here's link to info from Dr. Jack Newman who has written quite a bit about breastfeeding...http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
My hair shrinks or expands according to the humidity and my hair products. ;)
2C hair, thick and coarse and dry

Comments

  • imagenimagen Registered Users Posts: 343
    I've never heard of it, but I am taking fenugreek as well and wanted to ask how it is working for you.

    I'll have to look into this other stuff, let us know what you find out about it.
    .png

    .png
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    My best friend was a big follower of Dr. Newman. She used to get the domperidone from Canada, I believe. She used it with a lot of success. Let me know if you need me to ask her anything.
  • curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    I used it. I had an adequate supply when DD was breastfeeding, but then she went on permanent strike at 4 months and my supply dropped because I didn't pump right away. I started EPing. I pumped 12 oz/day. Herbs did nothing for me. So I went on dom. I was able to get up to 26 oz/day. I am not positive it was the dom as I also was pumping like a maniac, but I believe it did help because of what happened when I went off it as I was nearing my weaning deadline at 16 months.

    Anyway, I worked up to 150 mg/day (120 mg is usually the recommended dosage, but you can go up to 150). I think I went down to 120 mg and stayed at that dosage for probably 5 months, then slowly tried decreasing the dosage. I was able to go down to 30 mg/day and maintain my supply. I never tried going lower as I was afraid to see what would happen. I ordered online from globaldrug, which is now inhousepharmacy. Never had any problems ordering from them.

    From what I have heard from other women (mostly EPers), it does nothing for some women, gives a modest increase for some women, and for others doubles their supply. It is worth a try if herbs aren't working out.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    My doctor wouldn't prescribe anything for me. But I am also on fenugreek, and am very relieved that it seemed to work to bring my supply back.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • beliciousbelicious Registered Users Posts: 196
    For now, the fenugreek appears to be increasing my milk supply. I will hold off on getting domperidone... thanks for sharing info! I have been breastfeeding again while wearing a nipple shield and this has helped a lot - baby is getting more milk from me and I am not in pain. We have an appointment with ear nose and throat doctor on June 4th for the baby's frenulum to be clipped. I wish I could get an appt sooner - ugh! I want to know what it's like to breastfeed shield free and pain free.... If I can just keep a good milk supply up until June 4th- I think it will only improve after that....
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    My hair shrinks or expands according to the humidity and my hair products. ;)
    2C hair, thick and coarse and dry
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    belicious wrote:
    For now, the fenugreek appears to be increasing my milk supply. I will hold off on getting domperidone... thanks for sharing info! I have been breastfeeding again while wearing a nipple shield and this has helped a lot - baby is getting more milk from me and I am not in pain. We have an appointment with ear nose and throat doctor on June 4th for the baby's frenulum to be clipped. I wish I could get an appt sooner - ugh! I want to know what it's like to breastfeed shield free and pain free.... If I can just keep a good milk supply up until June 4th- I think it will only improve after that....

    I didn't know (as the lactation consultion gave them to me and didn't say anything more) that nipple shields, if used long term can cause problems in the supply as it effects the pull of the milk ( or something like that). That was the only way my son would nurse for a while, and then when my supply decreased, I put them away. He knows he has to work a bit harder now, and sometimes he still doesn't latch properly and it hurts like hell, but it's better without them (for me).

    Good luck though- and keep up the good work!
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • beliciousbelicious Registered Users Posts: 196
    the lactation specialist said that once the baby's frenulum is clipped properly I should be able to breastfeed without the shield and without pain (as long as latch is right).... this is what I am hoping will be true. I realize that wearing the nipple shield is not ideal, but for now while I wait for frenulum clip appt - it's better than just pumping.... so frustrating to be waiting for appt!
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    My hair shrinks or expands according to the humidity and my hair products. ;)
    2C hair, thick and coarse and dry
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    belicious wrote:
    the lactation specialist said that once the baby's frenulum is clipped properly I should be able to breastfeed without the shield and without pain (as long as latch is right).... this is what I am hoping will be true. I realize that wearing the nipple shield is not ideal, but for now while I wait for frenulum clip appt - it's better than just pumping.... so frustrating to be waiting for appt!

    You might call the ENT office and ask if there is a cancellation liost you can be put on- that wa\y, if someone cancels, they will call you.
  • beliciousbelicious Registered Users Posts: 196
    Thanks cosmicfly... I have already done that unfortunately. I have the office email and I email daily + call daily re: possible cancellations. Hopefully, something will happen soon.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    My hair shrinks or expands according to the humidity and my hair products. ;)
    2C hair, thick and coarse and dry
  • CurleeDSTCurleeDST Registered Users Posts: 467
    Ladies, what are some drugs the OB can prescribe to increase milk supply? I do not have an issue but I am being proactive about it. Thanks
    I am a 3c/4a with medium/fine strands
    No strict haircare regimen - trying my hand at the Curly Girl Method.

    Fitness Blog: http://femmefitalefitclub.com/
    Check out the Femme Fitale Facebook page: facebook.com/FemmeFitaleFitness
  • curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    CurleeDST wrote:
    Ladies, what are some drugs the OB can prescribe to increase milk supply? I do not have an issue but I am being proactive about it. Thanks

    The only drug available in the US is Reglan, but it can cause depression, which most new moms don't need. That is why a lot of women get domperidone overseas. It doesn't have those side effects. If you think you ever need something to help with supply, I would try herbs like fenugreek, blessed thistle, alfalfa before I would try prescription drugs. Herbs didn't work for me, though, which is why I went on dom.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • CurleeDSTCurleeDST Registered Users Posts: 467
    ewwww definitely do not want depression. thanks
    I am a 3c/4a with medium/fine strands
    No strict haircare regimen - trying my hand at the Curly Girl Method.

    Fitness Blog: http://femmefitalefitclub.com/
    Check out the Femme Fitale Facebook page: facebook.com/FemmeFitaleFitness
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    curlymel wrote:
    CurleeDST wrote:
    Ladies, what are some drugs the OB can prescribe to increase milk supply? I do not have an issue but I am being proactive about it. Thanks

    The only drug available in the US is Reglan, but it can cause depression, which most new moms don't need. That is why a lot of women get domperidone overseas. It doesn't have those side effects. If you think you ever need something to help with supply, I would try herbs like fenugreek, blessed thistle, alfalfa before I would try prescription drugs. Herbs didn't work for me, though, which is why I went on dom.

    does anyone know any good websites where you can order herbs. I know I won't be able to find any around here well not until I go to the city
    Mm59.jpg.png

    .png



    .png
  • CurleeDSTCurleeDST Registered Users Posts: 467
    I am going to purchase mine from GNC at the mall or Vitamin Shoppe.
    I am a 3c/4a with medium/fine strands
    No strict haircare regimen - trying my hand at the Curly Girl Method.

    Fitness Blog: http://femmefitalefitclub.com/
    Check out the Femme Fitale Facebook page: facebook.com/FemmeFitaleFitness
  • curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    I got mine from vitacost.com. They seemed to have good prices and periodically would have these outrageous sales where you could get a bottle of fenugreek for a couple of dollars.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    curlymel wrote:
    I got mine from vitacost.com. They seemed to have good prices and periodically would have these outrageous sales where you could get a bottle of fenugreek for a couple of dollars.

    Ok I just placed my order for the fenugreek... Now hopefully my boobs will overfloweth.
    Mm59.jpg.png

    .png



    .png
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    Ok my fenugreek is here, and I had a question. for those of you who have used it did you have any bad side effects??
    Mm59.jpg.png

    .png



    .png
  • curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    Ok my fenugreek is here, and I had a question. for those of you who have used it did you have any bad side effects??
    The only problem I had was gas (sorry to disclose this). What problems are you having?
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    curlymel wrote:
    Ok my fenugreek is here, and I had a question. for those of you who have used it did you have any bad side effects??
    The only problem I had was gas (sorry to disclose this). What problems are you having?

    none as of right now but i was reading where some women get low blood sugar and high blood pressure and where the babies ended up with colic not all the babies but some.

    Oh but i do smell like maple syrup
    Mm59.jpg.png

    .png



    .png
  • curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    The maple syrup smell is normal. I think Audrey had some gas as a side effect, but that was all and it didn't really seem to bother her. She was older when I went on fenugreek (4 months).
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    Ok my fenugreek is here, and I had a question. for those of you who have used it did you have any bad side effects??

    I did not notice any in either myself or DS (gas, funky poops). It was all good.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    I've had gas since I had him it's the strangest thing. Anyway I haven't noticed any colic with him. He's FUSSY at night but he's been like that since we brought him home. I think the fenugreek is working to I seem to be filling fuller in less amount of time and he seems to be getting more at each feeding. He's still having to take 2oz of formula or so after he eats but that's less then what he was taking.
    Mm59.jpg.png

    .png



    .png
  • curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    I've had gas since I had him it's the strangest thing. Anyway I haven't noticed any colic with him. He's FUSSY at night but he's been like that since we brought him home. I think the fenugreek is working to I seem to be filling fuller in less amount of time and he seems to be getting more at each feeding. He's still having to take 2oz of formula or so after he eats but that's less then what he was taking.
    That is great that it is helping and you are giving him less formula!
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • Texas MamaTexas Mama Registered Users Posts: 178
    I'm very interested in y'alls experiences with fenugreek, blessed thistle and alfalfa. I also have very low milk supply, and my daughter gets 90% formula, which just irritates the hell out of me. I don't want her to starve, but I can't make enough for her.

    Do these herbs interact with birth control or anything? I'm almost ready to go back to work, but want to get some herbs to start building my supply right now. (baby is 4 1/2 weeks old now). Also, how soon after you started the herbs did you notice an increase? Please let me know - I think nursing is the most important thing you can do for your child.
    Hair type 3A. Jessicurl is becoming my HG!

    http://public.fotki.com/TexasMama/

    password: ginger
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    Texas Mama wrote:
    I'm very interested in y'alls experiences with fenugreek, blessed thistle and alfalfa. I also have very low milk supply, and my daughter gets 90% formula, which just irritates the hell out of me. I don't want her to starve, but I can't make enough for her.

    Do these herbs interact with birth control or anything? I'm almost ready to go back to work, but want to get some herbs to start building my supply right now. (baby is 4 1/2 weeks old now). Also, how soon after you started the herbs did you notice an increase? Please let me know - I think nursing is the most important thing you can do for your child.

    the feugreek helped for me in like a week or so. don't get me wrong i'm not like overflowing or anything but I can tell that i'm producing more. He's getting less formula and I can just tell when he's nursing that he's getting more (you can hear him swalloing more and sometimes feel it to) It would probably work even better if I remembered to take it like I'm supposed to everyday but I suck at taking pills. Speaking of which I better go take my fenugreek now.. thanks for the reminder
    Mm59.jpg.png

    .png



    .png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file