Do you think Dinosaurs really existed?

FreeCurlsFreeCurls Registered Users Posts: 4,408
I'm watching this show on dinosaurs and I started wondering if people really do believe they existed? They're all gone now. what if we're misinterpreting these fossils? How did all these very cantankerous creatures coexist and why are they all dead now? This questions just came into my mind but the whole things still seems way more fiction than science to me.

Discuss :)
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.
[FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

Comments

• CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    So the remains would be...what, then? A huge art pre-historic art project?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I think they existed because of all the skeletal evidene that has been unearthed.
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Registered Users Posts: 4,408
    CGNYC wrote:

I'm just really musing here. I don't dispute the fossils. It just...something doesn't seem to add up here. I'm not sure what.

• FionaFiona Registered Users Posts: 158 Curl Connoisseur
    There is way too much compelling evidence supporting the existence of dinosaurs to ever doubt it.
    If you can't be a Good Example, then you'll just have to be a Horrible Warning
  • Confused CurlyConfused Curly Registered Users Posts: 229
    What possible reason would people have for making this stuff up. Which reminds me of something. I'm off to post a spinoff thread...
    Do you know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.
    --Unknown, presumed deceased
    well, I don't know as that was not my question nor the point of this post. I don't think the bones are a hoax or that scientists have deliberately been trying to convince people of these creatures.

when you look at it the information surrounding them, it's like they existed on a different planet. where were the humans? how could anything else have survived with these around? And why are they ALL gone?

• slinky1slinky1 Banned Banned Users Posts: 1,612
    So I guess you've never been to NYC...Specifically, to the Museum of Nat'l History or whatever it is called...

ETA: Is this going to turn into a religous debate?
    FreeCurls wrote:
    where were the humans?

There weren't any humans, or any proto-humans around during the eras of the dinosaurs. The only mammals that existed then were tiny little ones, of which there is plenty of evidence. It was the age of the reptiles, not mammals.
    Fiona wrote:
    FreeCurls wrote:
    where were the humans?

There weren't any humans, or any proto-humans around during the eras of the dinosaurs. The only mammals that existed then were tiny little ones, of which there is plenty of evidence. It was the age of the reptiles, not mammals.

To add to Fiona's post: Proto-humans did not exist until roughly 3 million years ago. Homo-sapiens did not exist until roughly 100,000 years ago. The dinosaurs disappeared roughly 65 million years ago. Toward the end of the reptilian age, there were small mammals happily coexisting with the dinosaurs. When the dinosaurs died out due to environmental reasons (not sure if it was an asteroid or not), these small mammals survived because they were small and warm blooded.
    ETA: Is this going to turn into a religous debate?

When I first posted on this thread, my first thought was "GAWD! Don't let this become a debate about Creationism vs. Darwinism!" I didn't bring it up because, frankly, I didn't want to be the one who brought it up.

Since the cat is out of the bag, I once saw a program on educated Fundamentalist Christians somewhere in the South who REFUSED to believe in Darwinism because it went against their belief that the Bible is to be taken literally. From an anthropological POV, it was fascinating!

For the record some of us believe in both God and Darwin.
    All scientific arguments are circular; no one can determine the first cause.

There's always room for a little of both theories. No need for hostility.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    If there were no dinosaurs, where do we get oil from? :?
  • NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    slinky1 wrote:

Where was the hostility? I haven't seen any yet.....

I agree with SnWiC-I believe in both G-d and Darwin. I have a friend (an engineer!) who doesn't believe in evolution. That's hard for me, and I try to accept it as part of his religious beliefs. It's just so different from how I feel.... to me, evolution seems a scientific fact. Though for it to end up exactly as it did, I can see an argument for G-d having had a hand in it.

I love listening to my friend's arguments, though, specifically because we have such different views. And he's open and willing to share what he believes, not defensive or jerky, so we have fun conversations. He tells me I'm the only other engineer he's met who believes in G-d at all!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    NetG wrote:
    slinky1 wrote:

Where was the hostility? I haven't seen any yet.....

I agree with SnWiC-I believe in both G-d and Darwin. I have a friend (an engineer!) who doesn't believe in evolution. That's hard for me, and I try to accept it as part of his religious beliefs. It's just so different from how I feel.... to me, evolution seems a scientific fact. Though for it to end up exactly as it did, I can see an argument for G-d having had a hand in it.

I love listening to my friend's arguments, though, specifically because we have such different views. And he's open and willing to share what he believes, not defensive or jerky, so we have fun conversations. He tells me I'm the only other engineer he's met who believes in G-d at all!

Why wouldn't engineers believe in God???
    I didn't see any hostility...I was just telling everyone that there was no need for it.

These types of discussions can get hairy.

That's true, Mrs. P. Oil is actually dinosaur urine...it went waayyy down into the earth way back when and stayed there until we extracted it. Amazing, huh? But, you probably already knew that.

I haven't the slightest idea! I know other engineers who do-this guy apparently doesn't, though.

Slinky-in that case, I totally agree with you! Definitely no need for anyone to get hostile.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

NetG wrote:

I haven't the slightest idea! I know other engineers who do-this guy apparently doesn't, though.

They probably think that if there were a G, then they would have had a date by now. That's their reason not to believe.
    slinky1 wrote:
    They probably think that if there were a G, then they would have had a date by now. That's their reason not to believe.

I love you for saying that! I needed the laugh!
    -Speckla

slinky1 wrote:
    NetG wrote:

Actually that is proof that God is female. :lol:
    slinky1 wrote:
    That's true, Mrs. P. Oil is actually dinosaur urine...it went waayyy down into the earth way back when and stayed there until we extracted it. Amazing, huh? But, you probably already knew that.

I think someone's taking the piss. :?
  • keskes Registered Users Posts: 27
    I just started taking a Bible information class (I married a preacher's son, oh and he's an engineer! ;) ). We are being taught that there is no way to believe in both creationism and scientism (as they like to call it). This is going to be my biggest problem because I cannot imagine ever giving up on evolution. I understand it's only a theory, but there is way too much evidence for me to just deny it.
  • mazeymazey Registered Users Posts: 709
    NetG wrote:

That’s the silliest generalization I have ever heard. What on earth would be correlation between atheism and engineering?

“Boring” and “Egotistical” are the stereotypes for engineers, not that they don't believe in god. I work for an engineering consulting firm, and I can vouch for those generalizations [whisper]especially the egotistical part[/whisper]

Back to the dinosaurs: there is waaaay too much evidence to *not* believe they existed.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • CortniCortni Registered Users Posts: 19
    I believe that dinosaurs existed. There's no way they couldn't have. I would like to hear a good argument as to why we should believe they didn't exist.
    3b
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    kes wrote:
    I just started taking a Bible information class (I married a preacher's son, oh and he's an engineer! ;) ). We are being taught that there is no way to believe in both creationism and scientism (as they like to call it). This is going to be my biggest problem because I cannot imagine ever giving up on evolution. I understand it's only a theory, but there is way too much evidence for me to just deny it.

Hmm. Seems to me you shouldn't have to give up your beliefs, no matter what they're based on. I know I wouldn't. Not in the case of something I believed very strongly. Other things, I may educate myself and eventually change.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Registered Users Posts: 637
    No, they're part of an elaborate Republican conspiracy. ..
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    Fiona wrote:
    slinky1 wrote:

I think someone's taking the piss. :?

Which is good, because apparently there's an oil shortage right around the corner.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    kes wrote:
    We are being taught that there is no way to believe in both creationism and scientism (as they like to call it).

That's their opinion, not fact. Plenty of scientists believe in God and plenty of religious people believe in evolution. Some people can't reconcile the tow concepts, but others have no problem. Don't let others tell you what you can and can't believe.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • keskes Registered Users Posts: 27
    Sorry, I should have explained better. Our church's view is that if you take the Bible literally (and it's an evangelical church so they do) there is no logical way that you can believe in both creationism and scientism/evolution. I'm not giving up my beliefs, just keeping them to myself at class :)
  • melloweermelloweer Registered Users Posts: 2,308
    mrspoppers wrote:
    If there were no dinosaurs, where do we get oil from? :?

duh!! Iraq! I thought everyone knew the dinosaurs from Iraq at the time shared their oil with all the other dinosaurs....

or

maybe the Iraqi dinos decided to keep the oil for themselves and that is what caused the dino's to go extinct

lol sorry couldn't resist :)
    are you guys serious withthe oil=dinosaur urine? Or are you being facetious? I'd never heard that. interesting

• kurlykittykurlykitty Registered Users Posts: 162
    CGNYC wrote:

Of course it is. It was a pre-historic art project by the same space aliens responsible for the pyramids, Stonehenge, the Nazca lines, and Atlantis (the lost diarama).

:lol:
    "Beware the man of one book." --Latin proverb

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file