Oils?

stellaBabystellaBaby Registered Users Posts: 237
1.Do you use oils? If not why?
2.Which ones do you use?
3.Which ones do you avoid?

answer;
1. Yes

2.I use olive oil, rosemary & peppermint and maybe everynow and then a drop of vit. E or a little bit of sweet almond oil.

3. Maybe corn oil.lol dont ask. But i tried it. It was great at first but then my hair started feeling fried up.lol
strickly CG.
BCed Jan 27,07
I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
My hair survives on;
Suave naturals
Herbal essences set me up gel
Amla powder
Other lovies; :laughing8:
[Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
hairpic.png
Taken Feb 21,09
Blogger
Youtuber

Comments

• echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    I use shea oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, flax seed
    I avoid mineral oils and petroleums because they make me break out.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Registered Users Posts: 237
    echokitten wrote:
    I use shea oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, flax seed
    I avoid mineral oils and petroleums because they make me break out.

Hey thanks for responding.
    What are the benefits of flax seed oil?

Yes mineral oils and petroleums clog everything lol
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    Here ya go...
    Flax seed oil is a nourishing addition to formulations intended to help treat eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, acne and aging skin. Flax seeds are a rich source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) an the Omega-3 series of essential fatty acids. The human body cannot produce essential fatty acids and instead must obtain them from external sources. ALA is needed because it is the precursor to eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and the series 3 Prostaglandins. These are necessary for the regulation of cellular activity. Series 3 Prostaglandins protect the body against the effects of high blood pressure, inflammation and water retention by inhibiting the production of series 2 prostaglandins, which promote inflammation and water retention. Topical use of flax seed oil allows the body to absorb some of the essential fatty acids necessary for healthy cellular activity. Flax seed oil can help soften and heal skin abrasions, reduce the swelling and redness of lesions due to skin disease and improve the overall health of the skin. Use flax seed oil in creams, lotions and balm formulations. Flax seed oil is fragile. Any formulation using flax seed oil must be well preserved with an anti-oxidant.

I eat the seeds on salads and use them ground in casseroles too, they are very nutritious. I usually only use a small amount in my hair concotions, because it is kind of sticky in large amounts.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
    Thanks a lot.
    Wow Im gonna go pick up some flaxseed then...sounds really helpful
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    1. yes
    2. coconut/olive
    3. castor/mineral
    3b-3c CG
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur

Very, very rarely, I use JC Oil Blend on my dry hair at night and wash it out in the AM. Aside from when my hair is really dry, I never felt any need to use oils.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Flax seeds and flax seed oil are even better for your health when you ingest them (salad dressings, etc. - raw, not cooked)

For topical hair care:
    castor oil, coconut oil, tamanu oil, sapote seed oil,
    Mixes/treatmetns: Ojon restorative hair treatment, Anita Grant creamy caffe latte

For my hair castor oil is the most useful (and the cheapest). I mix it with other ingrededients for deep treatments and conditioning, can apply sparingly to freshly washed and wet ends before I style. I also use all the oils above except for coconut oil on my skin.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I used Africa's Best Herbal Oil for a couple years.
    Here are the ingredients - Soy Bean Oil , Walnut Seed Oil , Kiwi Fruit Extract , Olive Fruit Oil , Castor Seed Oil , Sesame Seed Oil , Jojoba Seed Oil , Carrot Seed Oil , Sweet Almond Oil , Tocopheryl Acetate , Safflower Oil , Calendula Extract , Yarrow Extract , Cucumber Extract , Carrageenan Extract , Ginseng Extract , Sage Extract , Comfrey Extract , Aloe Extract , Fragrance
    I liked it alot, but I've been using Ojon instead for the last 4 months. I'm addicted to the smell and my hair loves it.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Bailey422 wrote:

Very, very rarely, I use JC Oil Blend on my dry hair at night and wash it out in the AM. Aside from when my hair is really dry, I never felt any need to use oils.

question, what do you use to moisturize your hair daily?
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
    Flax seeds and flax seed oil are even better for your health when you ingest them (salad dressings, etc. - raw, not cooked)

For topical hair care:
    Mixes/treatmetns: Ojon restorative hair treatment, Anita Grant creamy caffe latte

For my hair castor oil is the most useful (and the cheapest). I mix it with other ingrededients for deep treatments and conditioning, can apply sparingly to freshly washed and wet ends before I style. I also use all the oils above except for coconut oil on my skin.

Im aware that castor oil is a great benefit for the hair but i read somewhere on this board that it actually builds up quickly, is this true? and if it is how often do you use castor?
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
    Oh and another thing.
    A friend told me using oils in your hair in the summer can literally "fry" it because of the heat and sun rays. Is there any truth in this?
    Thank you ladies.
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
    stellaBaby wrote:

For topical hair care:

Im aware of castore oil being a great benefit to the hair but i read somewhere on this board that it actually builds up quickly, is this true? and if it is how often do you use castor?

I've lately been using a small amount of castor oil after I shampoo to lightly oil the clean wet ends prior to gel styling. Or I may use a larger amount as an overnight pre-shampoo treatment. In the cold weather I mixed it with my conditioner, pre-treatment and/or shampoo so that a residue got left on my hair. Between shampoos and washes I use small amounts of the tamanu oil or Creamy Caffee Latte on my dry hair (not scalp) to soften/detangle. The tamanu also has the added benefit of pumping up my volume.
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Thank you

I'm trying to get used to the no poo method.
    I used castor oil when I was transitioning , it was great I must say I loved how it made my hair shiney and soft :) But, I don't know why I just stopped using it I guess it was because I was scared of build up but I will dilute it and try it again I'm hoping it will work better that way.

What kind of castor oil do you use, I noticed that some are thicker than others I wonder what the difference is.
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    stellaBaby wrote:
    Bailey422 wrote:

question, what do you use to moisturize your hair daily?

Conditioner.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    stellaBaby wrote:
    Thank you

I'm trying to get used to the no poo method.
    I used castor oil when I was transitioning , it was great I must say I loved how it made my hair shiney and soft :) But, I don't know why I just stopped using it I guess it was because I was scared of build up but I will dilute it and try it again I'm hoping it will work better that way.

What kind of castor oil do you use, I noticed that some are thicker than others I wonder what the difference is.

Not sure if this Q is for me? I use unrefined cold pressed castor oil I bought at Whole Foods. It's not expensive, but pretty sure you can get cheaper on line.
    comic-p.jpg

Suburbanbushbabe
    sorry, yes the question was for you. Thank you. I already have castor but im not sure exactly what it is. My mom bought it and transfered it into another bottle, its really thick though.

oh thanks for answering back.
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
    stellaBaby wrote:
    Suburbanbushbabe
    sorry, yes the question was for you. Thank you. I already have castor but im not sure exactly what it is. My mom bought it and transfered it into another bottle, its really thick though.

oh thanks for answering back.

Yes, it's quite thick and a bit tacky, which is why I don't use it on dry hair without washing it out. But a little added to conditioners and shampoos makes them foamier (as does honey).
    comic-p.jpg

• lockenheadlockenhead Registered Users Posts: 16
    i use olive oil before i wash my hair i put it in my hair while it is dry and then leave it in for sometimes 30 minutes and if i have got more time for an hour then i use shampoo then conditioner after that i let it air dry and the oil is still in my hair but it is not greasy or anything it is perfect :)
    I just read post on another forum about washing with amla and shikakai powder after oiling. Sounds interesting; think I'll start another post.
    comic-p.jpg

I just read post on another forum about washing with amla and shikakai powder after oiling. Sounds interesting; think I'll start another post.

I've tried shikakai powder once it was okay, I couldn't take the remaining grains in my hair-basically washing it out was a battle.
    I use amla for deep treatments and love it. My hair always comes out feeling moisturized and glowing. I haven't had any negative out comes with that yet.
    Hey, if you do make a post about it let me know because I would love to learn more about both powders.
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09