3b/3c New Transitioner - My Story :-)

beloved1908beloved1908 Posts: 3Registered Users
Hi everyone! I have had the urge to go natural at several points in my life. and there always seemed to be someone close by to convince me otherwise - the typical things I am sure we have all heard - you won't be able to do anything with natural hair, don't you want long hair, you're going to have to cut off all your hair to go natural, etc, etc etc.

The funny thing is, I heard this from my family the most! Anyway, I am 25 yrs old, mixed Native American and Black. I got relaxers about 4 times a year, but as I have gotten older, I see the damage that these relaxers (along with hair color) were causing. I first decided to let all my hair color grow out (completed), now I am THROUGH with relaxers!!!! :D

My last relaxer was in March, so it hasn't been that long - however, the good thing is, even with my relaxed hair, I can still where it wavy, wet and go.

The problem is this: I went through a period where my hair broke off so much in the front and the top part of my hair is so damaged that it doesnt even curl up - so i have to figure out how to manage this until my hair grows out some more.

I have been doing a lot of research and purchased the following products:
[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink] Conditioner
Miss Jessie's Butter Creme
Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment
[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]JessiCurl Cleansing Cream[/buylink]

I have only used Ojon before (love it) - so I am anxious to get these products in the mail b/c the products I currently have are useless.

For the past week I have been using Dudley's Mud Mask in the shower and applying Nexus Humectress on my hair soaking wet and letting it dry naturally - this does not help frizz but will do as I pass the time till the products arrive.

My boyfriend is really excited about me going natural, and that helps me alot. I was raised (like most of im sure) to believe that our hair in its natural state was unmanageable and not pretty - and that most black men wanted women with permed hair or a weave, or both. Although, I never had a weave- I have certainly had my share of perms, and I have even been told at times that the way to cure my tangly,dry hair was that I needed ANOTHER relaxer!!!! Go figure.

Anyway, I am so happy to have found this site, and I truly look forward to the journey ahead of me - please send me any advice, products, detanglers, styling products, etc that you might recommend to me.

I will continue to update you all as things progress - I need to get me one of those CUTE counters some of you have ;-) Hey...I'm learning!

Night,
Beloved.
3b/3c??
Products: JC poo, Too Shea Condish,Shea Butter, Sebastian Wet

event.png

Comments

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome to the site, and congrats on deciding to go natural! And it's really great that you have a supportive BF. My SO(significant other)loves natural hair, and has never really been into the processed, straight look. He was one of the motivations behind me finally going natural years ago.

Good luck with your transition! :)
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • beloved1908beloved1908 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks so much for the feedback....

here's a question for anyone out there with advice...

Nighttime regimens - what do you do??

I am so used to wrapping my hair (when I wore it straight/domincan stylist) that I don't have a clue what to do with it at night now.

Right now, im just tying a satin scarf over it, but that really flattens it out by morning - any advice is appreciated!
    3b/3c??

event.png
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    have you tried sleeping on a satin pillowcase?
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome and good luck with your transition. If you can post a photo that can help you get better feedback. You choose some very good products

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink] Conditioner
    Miss Jessie's Butter Creme
    Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]JessiCurl Cleansing Cream[/buylink]

I use the Ojon regularly. I have used TooShea and it's pretty good, also the cleansing cream - gentle but effective. Lots of 3c-4a+ curlies rave about the Butter creme. Only caution I have about Humectress is that mineral oil is an ingredient, and mineral oil can cause build up. But if you are shampooing that shouldn't be a problem.

I did a search for Dudley (I used to use the Curl Activator back when I texturized) but their store seems to be off-line and I couldn't find the ingredients list. What did pop in google on Dudley was a little alarming!!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44040

ITA on the silk/satin pillowcase. I've been sleeping on a silk charmeuse case for 2 weeks or so and defintely notice a difference. Because my hair is not rubbing against cotton, there's less frizz. And there's likely less breakage as well. Also pure silk has proteins in it. I had a satin polyester case from Sally Beauty and hated it. But this silk one I love.

HTH and enjoy the journey to natural and beyond.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a satin pillowcase, but I think that my satin cap that I wear at night is a better option against breakage.

Congrats on your journey to natural beautiful hair! Its almost month 6 for me and I would say that the first 5 months were the hardest, but at this point there is no going back.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• beloved1908beloved1908 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks so much everyone for your advice! I am entering my 3rd month without a relaxer and wondering what the hell I was thinking 3 months ago - it seemed like a bright idea then :wink: That;s a whole different post though - look for it - i certainly need moral support and product advice - I am also going to venture out and post photos...

Glad to know you are all out there somewhere when my relxing friends think im a nutcase for even considering this. The end justifies the means I suppose.

I must admit - natural has been great for the hot, humid NC summers - and I have been swimming at my pool every few days - imagine that! I don't have to schedule my swimming around hair appts - who would have thought!
    3b/3c??

event.png
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Beloved, I think that the first 6 months are the hardest. After that it starts to get easier. I can't imagine ever going back to relaxers. For the first time since 1981 I can wash my hair, slap it in a ponytail, and go. I come here every single day for inspiration.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• Angelita123Angelita123 Posts: 10Registered Users
    Hello all, after scrolling around in this site for hours, I guess this is as good a place to start... I, too, have battled with my natural hair for years and really would like to finally have a LOVE relationship with my curls. I am a true PJ-- you name it, I've probably tried it...including the RIO and COPA "gradual straightening" disasters of yore (yes, they worked at first, but like so many other products, they took a toll after time). I even almost got a...wait for it... ...JHERI CURL!! My hair is somewhere between 3c and 4a, but it's been a while since I've seen it natural; I am going by what it looked like when I was 16, before my first relaxer. Wouldn't it be funny if after all these years of whacking it into submission I found that underneath I had beautiful, forgiving and flowing locks?? As I sit hear typing today, I haven't applied chemicals in about 7 months, and I want desperately to have a head of big, sexy, unique, funky, healthy curls. (How did you do it, eccentric_kurlz? is it as carefree as it looks? LOVELY HAIR!) I had a texturizer once, and found it basically to be a relaxer that was left in for a only few minutes and not blown dry. The result? Drizzy (I meant to type "dry and frizzy" but that came out and it works) hair and $95 lighter in my purse.
    Anyway, I want my kinks, curls and I to look great together and love each other, preferably without breaking the bank! I am 30 years old and this has NEVER been the case for me, I know this is true for so many of the women I know, and so many others on this site. Right now I'm rockin a usually greasy, often droopy, always frizzy curly fro with straight ends. HELP!!
    3C/4A --who knows? I haven't really seen MY hair since my first relaxer at 16...I'm trying desperately to get acquainted with my locks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file