Dominican Hair Salons/Stylists - Atlanta

nisey121nisey121 Posts: 58Registered Users
I have two (2) questions:

1. What is the benefit of going to a Dominican stylist? I've seen posts over the years that mention Dominican salons but I haven't read about any special techniques they do there.

2. Please recommend a Dominican stylist in Atlanta, Georgia.

Thanks much.
Hair Type 3C-4A

What you see is what you get because I'm not pressed to lye.

Comments

• free05free05 Posts: 27Registered Users
    Hi Nisey,

I just posted a dominican salon a minute ago. My sister lives ATL (I hope to live there soon-my favorite city!!).

From what I've read, they can get your hair straight like no one else and it stays that way for some time. One lady here had pics of her style from a Dominican salon (I don't think it was down South) and the texture, curls, etc. was beautiful. Her hair was full of shine and you can tell it was not full of heavy grease but full of body.

http://atlantadominicansalon.com/

I also like that this salon styles curly hair. It seems they do Spanish and African American hair. This is great because so many of us have all kinds of textures, from curls to kinks.

You can check out the thread I started for the Atlanta Aveda Salon or ATL Dominican Salon. I just did it this morning.

Hope you find a place you love.
  • nisey121nisey121 Posts: 58Registered Users
    Thanks so much for the information. I will contact the stylist.

BTW, I did a Google search on Dominican hair stylists and found the following link. The article was informative.

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-is-the-Big-Deal-About-Dominican-Hair-Stylists?&id=148605

Please keep me posted regarding your results and send me a private message when you visit Atlanta.
    Hair Type 3C-4A

Nisey,

Thanks for the posting the link. I'll read it now. I plan to go with the Dominican salon for the cut. They have information on the site about reducing bulk, layers, etc., for curly hair. For maintenance, I will go to Aveda Institute (Chicago) until I eventually move to ATL.

I will send you a p.m. as soon as I have the visit (sometime in mid-June/early July). You may get in there before me! If you do, send me a p.m. also. Let me know if you liked the services offered. Talk to you soon.
    Thanks Nicey,

That article was great. They have all types of hair, so I'm sure we fall in there somewhere. I look forward to the visit. Keep in touch.

Sherry
  • nisey121nisey121 Posts: 58Registered Users
    Glad you enjoyed the article. I will make an appointment for June. I will need to stress to the stylist that I don't want straightening heat on my hair.

I look forward to hearing about your results also.
    Hair Type 3C-4A

• KellKell Posts: 201Registered Users
    Dominicans are known for being good and inexpensive. Most dominicans that Ive met have curly hair, and I think they are more used to dealing with it (as opposed to AfAm salons). I am looking forward to making an appt w/ the dominicans!
    J&J Baby Shampoo fugged up my hair! :thumbdown:
    Me too Kel. Let us know how it goes!

What has your experience been with African American salons (if any)? Mine are not good. A few didn't believe your hair could be thick and full of curls/waves. There was some attitude with a couple of salons. They didn't know what to do.

I always tell people about this site. Even if you're not ready to cut your hair, the people here are kind enough to share techniques and products with you. I love it.

Sherry
    It took me until my 20s to find the right stylist for my hair. There's only two people Ill let touch my head. And Ive only gone to see my stylist once since I went natural, and he told me my hair wasnt "trained" anymore. :?

But Ive got so many horror stories from throughout the years. The biggest problem was combing my wet hair. Most didnt know what comb to use, or how to comb it.....and the result was alot of pain and agony for me. Most stylists arent good at pressing, so I always got it permed, and it always ended up breaking off.

I am so glad to be free of the torture of the pressing comb. :D Going curly is pain free! 8)
    I'm glad for you. I only wear straight hair every blue moon. It ends up poofing everytime. It is so much easier to wear natural hair. Too much time and drama the other way!
    It IS alot of drama. Pressing is very painful, and stressful to maintain. I'm supposedly moving to florida, but just found out I might be going to Philly. And immediately, I thought "if Im still up north, I can go back to straight!!". How quickly I thought to abandon my curls. ha But nah, Im getting the hang of this now. I plopped for the first time today, and it came out beautifully. Also, long straight hair is so common and blah, I dont wanna look like everyone else. :twisted: :arrow:
  • AlexisNicole3cAlexisNicole3c Posts: 63Registered Users
    There is a good Dominican shop in Marietta off of Franklin Rd. There are also plenty of Dominican shops on Jimmy Carter Blvd.

The only issue with Dominican shops is they seriously burn your scalp..if you are trying to get away from straightening with a hot comb or iron from the stove like in the AA shops, stay away from Dominican shops. Your hair comes out looking vveeerrrryyy nice and straight and soft, however, it is massive amounts of heat on your hair. You sit under the dryer for an hour or more with a roller set (which isnt that bad) ...but to get it straight since we dont have relaxers, they take a blow dryer with an attachment on the end that focuses the air on one area. The dryer is set on "Ridiculously Hot!" and they blow it on your roots and brush it while the heat is on your hair. It hurts alot! But..it comes out good! lol So you will see what I am talking about. I've been told by other stylist not to get it done alot because your hair will burn. Its very harsh.

I think in the future I will do the roller set and opt out for the extra blow dry to get the hair super straight.
    3C/4A Hair. My BC was Sept. 2003. Its been 5 years and I'm always looking for suggestions and tips. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/user/LexiWithTheCurls
    I just started doing hair tutorials/trying out new products on You Tube. Come Support

http://public.fotki.com/alexisnicole3c/
    pw: 3c
    AlexisNicole,

Thanks for the tip on the other Atlanta salons. I've heard that the heat is unbearable. I want to try the roller set too. I saw a few photos here at NC of what the Dominican roller sets look like. It isn't the tight roller sets but lots of body and the curl was not tight. I need something that won't turn my roots back curly in the summer. I still want my curls shaped so I wear my hair both ways.

Hearing people talk about the HOT heat is a little scary. :shock:

Thanks again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file