Soaking Wet?

GreenSeaGreenSea Posts: 15Registered Users
I've seen it mentioned a number of times - applying product to soaking wet hair. What is the theory behind this? I tried it tonight - so far it looks great, but the first 15 minutes or so were quite messy!

Also, for plopping, what is the benefit of a longer time (20 min or so) versus a shorter, say 5 minutes, worth?

TIA!
3a/Modified CG, low-poo
Jason 84% Aloe Shampoo & Conditioner
Alberto VO5 Red Curvaceous Curls Mousse or FX Curl Booster Fixative Gel or LA Looks Sports Gel
Garnier Surf Hair for refreshing
Plop time: 30 min w/ t-shirt

Comments

• echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    The theory behind putting prods into soaking wet hair is that the hair shaft is smoothed down by your conditioner. Once the hair shaft dries it begins to "fluff" meaning the layers of the hair shaft open...almost like a bird that has ruffled feathers. If you apply prods while soaking wet it kind of "glues" down the shaft layers hopefully to give a more defined and the curls clump together instead of the poofy thing most of us get when hair is dried without conditioner.
    As for plopping for extended periods of time, that's a personal preference. I usually condish, curl enhance, gel, squeeze excess water out, then plop for as long as it takes me to dress and apply makeup. Usually about 25-30 min. Then I airdry while walking to work. But once I remove the plopping wrap I don't touch my hair, that's what make me frizz. Some find that plopping for 30 min or more helps with curl formation and/or clumping. Some only plop long enough to remove excess water then they're done.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • GreenSeaGreenSea Posts: 15Registered Users
    Thanks for the run down. I'll try the longer plopping time tonight and see what happens!
    3a/Modified CG, low-poo
    Alberto VO5 Red Curvaceous Curls Mousse or FX Curl Booster Fixative Gel or LA Looks Sports Gel
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    GreenSea wrote:
    I've seen it mentioned a number of times - applying product to soaking wet hair. What is the theory behind this? I tried it tonight - so far it looks great, but the first 15 minutes or so were quite messy!

You don't have to drip all over the place once you get out of the shower. You can scrunch water out of your hair after applying the products, using a microfiber towel, a tshirt, or papertowels.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • GreenSeaGreenSea Posts: 15Registered Users
    Tonight's experiment was just stellar. Soaking wet, Set Me Up and plopped in a t-shirt for 30 minutes. I swear my curls have never looked better!
    3a/Modified CG, low-poo
  • DoodlesDoodles Posts: 1,984Registered Users
    I don't seem to get enough crunch when I apply to wet hair so I end up with lots of frizz. :?
    2A/2B, fine, normal porosity

Growing out a pixie as of November 2013 :elephant:

Shampoo: Elucence MBS & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
    Conditioner: Elucence MBC & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
    Leave-in: CJ BeautiCurls
    Stylers: BA gel & AG Re:coil

Product Junkie that keeps falling off the wagon!:tongue3:
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I've tried this before and I too thought that I had to be dripping wet for the soaking wet thing to work. Next time I will try squeezing excess after I apply. But I think that this is going to have to wait unitl I movee into my apartment in a few weeks. At my house there are just too many family members clamoring to get into the bathroom after me!
    ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • LongNLumpyLongNLumpy Posts: 67Registered Users
    do any of you use a shine product?
    would that also go on wet hair after a curl enhancer, mousse or gel?
    PW: waves
    2b-3a?
    lots-o-hair
    frizz prone
    long and layered
    NEW to going wavy/curly!
  • bmichligbmichlig Posts: 27Registered Users
    Hi, lumpy - most shine products are silicones. I for one try super hard to avoid them, and for shine I use a little oil. If you're doing CG or reducing shampooing or using gentler shampoos, then you'll probably want to steer clear of the 'cones, since they are notoriously hard to remove from hair with out a detergent shampoo.

-b.
    3a-b/m/iii
    Modified CG
    Love Jessicurl products.

You can never be too moist or too conditioned!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file