does everyone own a copy of 'curly girl'

KellKell Posts: 201Registered Users
I borrowed it from the library, but Im thinking I should own this book since it seems to be the natural hair BIBLE.

Also what is your favorite step of the 12-step program?
J&J Baby Shampoo fugged up my hair! :thumbdown:

Comments

• kdcreighkdcreigh Posts: 736Registered Users
    double post
    YES WE CAN!

kdcreigh 4a and b (who knows?:dontknow:)

Relegated to occasional lurking in order to keep the PJ in check!
    :lurk:

http://public.fotki.com/kdcreigh/
    PW: natural
    No..the Curly Girl method does not work for everyone.
    YES WE CAN!

• CurlyQTPieCurlyQTPie Posts: 447Registered Users
    I don't own a copy. I read it at the store and found that all the other information, such as recipies was easily available online.
    3B with some 3a. Fell off but am now back on the CG bandwagon and looking for my HG products.
  • KellKell Posts: 201Registered Users
    ^Really? Where are the recipes, I wouldnt know the first place to look.
    YES WE CAN!

^thank you!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The CG concept completely revolutionized the way I care for my hair. But 50% of the book is fluff, IMO. I've learned more specifics and practical details on this and other sites and just by talking to other curlies.

It is a good addition to any curly-head's library, though.

I like the motivational aspect of it. It really hits home.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The CG concept completely revolutionized the way I care for my hair. But 50% of the book is fluff, IMO. I've learned more specifics and practical details on this and other sites and just by talking to other curlies.

I hav to agree with spiderlashes on this. I have the book, but I could have learned as much here without the book. But, I do like how the book tries to make you feel good about having curly hair.

I don't think that the curlygirl book is the answer to every curlys problems, but I do think that Ms. Massey brings up good issues about harsh sulfates, proper conditioning, and silicone buildup.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i agree with what spider and redceltic said
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I hav to agree with spiderlashes on this. I have the book, but I could have learned as much here without the book. But, I do like how the book tries to make you feel good about having curly hair.

I don't think that the curlygirl book is the answer to every curlys problems, but I do think that Ms. Massey brings up good issues about harsh sulfates, proper conditioning, and silicone buildup.

ITA. I liked the book (borrowed it from the library). But I think Massey failed in her one specific chapter on African American hair. She should have done better homework if she was going to single this out as a topic and write about it. But since 3c-4a-4b hair isn't all that different from less curly hair, I use her method with good results. And I have learned a lot from this board and hair journals.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • nisey121nisey121 Posts: 58Registered Users
    The CG book is my bible too. My copy is so lovingly used that it's falling apart. I like the book except for one item in the section on African American hair. The stylist states that some people might want to use a texturizer on the hair to relax the curl. I totally disagree with his statement. After all, the reason for going natural is to stop using chemicals.

Below is the link for another good website devoted to natuaral African American hair. There's lots of useful information regarding products, styles, etc.

http://motowngirl.com/index.php

Hope that helps.
    Hair Type 3C-4A

What you see is what you get because I'm not pressed to lye.
  • ToyToyToyToy Posts: 61Registered Users Curl Neophyte

ITA. I liked the book (borrowed it from the library). But I think Massey failed in her one specific chapter on African American hair. She should have done better homework if she was going to single this out as a topic and write about it. But since 3c-4a-4b hair isn't all that different from less curly hair, I use her method with good results. And I have learned a lot from this board and hair journals.

I agree with all of the above. I too bought the book, but I didn't think it was specific enough for my type of hair. I learned more on hair boards. But it's still an ok book, though.
    natural (chemical-free) since November 2005
    Thanks for the link Nise. :)

I needed selfesteem boost for my curls, since Ive always thought they looked great on everyone except for me. I was reading the curlygirl confessions today. In the front, it states the book is more about fixing your "head" as opposed to your "hair". But yah, its impossible to cover everyone's type. I was surprised (pleasantly) when the techniques in the book worked for me. But I have so much more to learn from everyone, this board, it can only get better! 8)
  • sidittysiditty Posts: 62Registered Users
    Kell wrote:
    I borrowed it from the library, but Im thinking I should own this book since it seems to be the natural hair BIBLE.

Also what is your favorite step of the 12-step program?

I love the fact that aside from the african american section of the book, the suggest finger combing rather than using a comb, it makes my life very simple.

The concept of washing my hair more than once a week was mind blowing to me, so far, so good though, it is wonderful, it is nice not to see the dirt go down the drain!!! It is also nice not worrying about it raining anymore.
  • sidittysiditty Posts: 62Registered Users

I totally agree, the african american section left little to be desired to me. I didn't like reading about sitting under the hair dryer. One of the reasons I went natural was to avoid sitting in the salon all day on a saturday. Some of the examples they used for african american hair weren't helpful to me. One woman wore extensions so we couldn't see her real hair, another woman her has was so short she used clippers to cut it so their hair routines weren't similar to mine, the rest of the tips in the book were more helpful to me.

The book is mostly fluff, but the fluff is pro curl and very inspiring for me to make the move to truly naturally curly :)
    siditty wrote:
    One woman wore extensions so we couldn't see her real hair, another woman her has was so short she used clippers to cut it

:lol: yeah, that wasnt much help. The sad part was this advice was coming from black salon owner, some guy in new york. He suggested perming it :shock: which is contradictory to the whole book, and then he states that perming it wont damage the hair. wth? and then the other lady had extensions.

siditty wrote:
    The book is mostly fluff, but the fluff is pro curl and very inspiring for me to make the move to truly naturally curly :)

yeah :D
    Combing with my fingers would work great if I had a shower. But I take baths, so I have to use the stationary tub. Which of course means that my head is upside down. Cant wait to start using a shower, its so much easier to comb with the water running through it.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The Curly Girl book helped me to understand why my hair was so damaged. I still have my copy and flip through it occasionally. Though half of the advice given did not work for me, it helped me to figure out what eventually worked for me and my hair. I especially liked the part about finding a hairstylist.
    People who have mentioned the part about the book having bad advice for AA hair ... I agree that the book did not realize that curly hair is diverse. Almost every part of the world has curlies. The book's idea seemed to be more along the lines of white curly hair, biracial (black/white) curly hair and AA curly hair. I don't think that it was intentional, but even in all groups, there is variety.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • Laura3705Laura3705 Posts: 5Registered Users
    I just got it and read it today -- not so impressed. I thought it would help convince me to stop straightening, but it didn't help much...
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think Curly Girl would have been brilliant had Massey found some true AA curly/natural experts like that Ethiopian salon owner in Washington, DC (Yodit??); or someone like Diane DaCosta, Titi and Miko Branch of Miss Jessies, Mahisha Dellinger of Curls or Stacy Canfield of Blended Beauty. Or Ellin LaVar. I think she did mention Khamit Kinks and they're very well known. But that other guy's advice was just whack. I went to his salon back in the day and all they did were relaxer, blow-out, curling iron and roller sets.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I thought the book was ok. I put it away and will refer to it again when my hair is 100% natural. It at least helped me understand curly hair.

I want to get Going Natural: How to Fall in Love with Nappy Hair

I wasn't surprised to see that the book was mostly about white women and their curly hair. I mean, the author is white so I can't blame her. She wrote about her own experience. I am hoping to find books about how to grow and care for natural hair. And you're right, all curlies come in all different colors and backgrounds. As a Hispanic woman I was surprised to see not even one Latina in there.

Right now my best resources are my friends. I have a friend (African American) that just went natural and she's my inspiration for doing this. My co-worker (half Italian half black) has been natural for years and she gives me advice. Two of my close cousins went natural years ago. I even look around on the train and now I notice all these natural women with their afros, locks, curls and wow its so inspiring and beautiful to see :D
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• 3cCurly3cCurly Posts: 114Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    I just bought the book a few days ago I skimmed through it, and I was not impressed :? . I have to agree with the others I was rather disappointed Massey didn't cover African American Hair more and it does suck that she doesn't have any for my Latina sista's. I might go back and read some things that might be helpful for me but other than that I'm always learning yet I know enough about my own hair to start my own book, videos, and hair care products which I'm pursing for the future :D
    The only caucasian tip that didnt work for me, was the one about not using a comb, but instead finger-combing your wet hair. Ummm NO. :shock: there's no way in hell that's gonna work. lol
  • th1th1 Posts: 98Registered Users
    I bought it, read it, then passed it onto another curly girl. Pay it forward!!!
    3B.5

Leave In: (currently) Tresemme Moisturizer Conditioner with Vitamin E

FOTKI Photo Album:
    http://public.fotki.com/tatcat/
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't have my copy anymore. I either sold it or gave it to somebody.

Not much of it really worked for me. But it was a good place to start.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    th1 wrote: »
    I bought it, read it, then passed it onto another curly girl. Pay it forward!!!

I did the same thing. I gave it to a good friend of mine who was frying her hair every day with a blow dryer.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• nappy85nappy85 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I just purchased the book yesterday. I've heard about for a few years and I've looked through it in the bookstore before. It has some good starter information.
    www.fotki.com/nappy85
    password: NaturalHair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file