Hair Oil Recs?

deelasouldeelasoul Posts: 39Registered Users
Hi!

I have bra-strap-length fine 3c hair that is color-treated so it's dry, dull, and porous. I've tried tons of leave-in conditioners, moisturizers, and cone/shine products and my hair just soaks them up.

The only thing that helps tame frizzies and give me shine is OIL, which I'd stopped using because a hairdresser told me it was coating my hair too much. I've been so frustrated by how dull my hair is that I decided to try some oil again today but am having trouble figuring out what's best. Awhile back, I was using Nexxus Botanic Oil (I think that's what it's called) but apparently it's been discontinued because I couldn't find it anywhere. Unfortunately, I live in a small town so my immediate access to ethnic hair care products is pretty limited. In desperation, I bought something called Kemi Oyl today. It's not bad and definitely made my hair look better, but I need something a bit heavier or more "moisturizing" (oils don't really moisturize, do they?).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dee
3C with some 3B thrown in

Comments

• kdcreighkdcreigh Posts: 736Registered Users
    Jojoba oil or coconut oil. They are both very inexpensive and widely available (drug stores, health food stores, some supermarkets).

Coconut oil is a solid at room temperature, so just take a little and melt it in your hand first.

Use these sparingly or you will have very greasy hair.
    YES WE CAN!

kdcreigh 4a and b (who knows?:dontknow:)

Relegated to occasional lurking in order to keep the PJ in check!
    :lurk:

http://public.fotki.com/kdcreigh/
    PW: natural
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    deelasoul wrote:
    Hi!

I have bra-strap-length fine 3c hair that is color-treated so it's dry, dull, and porous. I've tried tons of leave-in conditioners, moisturizers, and cone/shine products and my hair just soaks them up.

That's because there's not enough moisture in your hair to begin with. Oil help retain what's in there. I would recommend frequent rinse-out conditioning and/or deep conditioning to get your hair wet as frequently as possible for at least a few weeks, because water is the best moisturizer. Also perhaps an occasional protein conditioner if your hair is okay with protein. Keep on conditioning until your hair stops soaking stuff up. I add oils to my rinseout conditioners. I pre-treat overnight with oils (very effective for adding moisture), then use a very mild, sulfate-free shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner.

If you are comfortable with buying online there are tons of great choices; look for carrier oils. Two oils that are readily available at health food stores/supermarkets and drug stores are pure 100% coconut oil and pure castor oil -- make sure they are unrefined and cold-pressed. Castor oil is a very common hair care ingredient. It's best used in combination with washing/condition products or as an overnight pre-shampoo treatment. You can make it less viscous by adding a lighter oil. Pure coconut oil can be applied to dry hair in small doses. Also don't discount extra virgin olive oil (but I would not leave EVOO in my hair).
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • nisey121nisey121 Posts: 58Registered Users
    I also recommend Avlon's KeraCare Essential Oil for the Hair. It conains jojoba and several other oils. It's sold at Ulta and you can do a Google search for other locations. Below is the link so you can read about it:

http://www.avlon.com/KeraCare/oilshairdressings.asp?category=5&cartid=

Hope that helps.
    Hair Type 3C-4A

What you see is what you get because I'm not pressed to lye.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file