Need a primer on how to color your hair at home the CG way

newcurlygrlnewcurlygrl Posts: 129Registered Users
:lol: I've been coloring my own hair for at least 10 years so I'm very comfortable with doing it. I just can't afford to go to a salon to get it done. But it HAS to be done because I've had grey hair since I was 18 (which is when I met my hubby....wonder if there's a connection??? ;) ). So I have a couple of questions. :D

What is the best brand (I know about Robert Craig, I'm talking something I can get in the supermarket)? I need permanent color and have even eyeing those highlighting kits. Are those any good?

Do you use the conditioner they give you or something else (maybe a deep treatment)?

If you use shampoo which one do you use? Is there a low-poo that won't strip the color? I'm thinking of getting DevaCare's low-poo.

Thanks ladies! :)
~Melanie~ 2B/C depending on my hair's mood
Trying to find a routine my hair likes!
bg433020.jpg[

Comments

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    I've had good luck with both Garnier Nutrisse and Nice-n-Easy. Alot of folks like the super-cheap Revlon Colorsilk.

I don't think there is anything special about the conditioner that is included. I don't think it "locks" in the color or anything. It's just a rich conditioner that makes your hair feel really good afterwards. If you are worried about cones, just use your own favorite, moisturizing conditioner. On the other hand, a lot of those conditioners that come with the color kits just have the a-cone, and a lot of folks doing the CG mehod can regularly use the a-cone with no buildup.

Personally, I have found highlighting to be more damaging than coloring.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file