Umm-is this normal?

TexasCurlTexasCurl Registered Users Posts: 42
Hi there, I'm new here (posted intro in newbie thread). I began the CG method of no-poo on Monday of this week-I know it's been just a very short time. Here is my question: my hair is worse now than it's ever been, why? I have lurked and read a ton of posts, after I bought the book and read and studied it-I have the condish that everyone says is ok and the gels too. But my curls used to be more seperate and defined and now they are more diffused and clumpy and NOT shiney. My hair just seems to lay about up there not doing much of anything. I don't want to give up, and I know that it can take a little for your scalp to adjust, but that doesn't seem to be the issue with my hair. It's more like the hair is mad that it isn't getting abused anymore. I want to be a curly girl, I don't want to continue to "beat" the curls out of my hair anymore; but if it is going to look like...well you know then what am I supposed to do? Thanks for any help and/or advice. I am using the VO5 condish-strawberry milk kind, and the gel is a clear one that was recommened in another post....can't think of the name right now....

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    Did you clarify before you started?
    3b-3c CG
  • TexasCurlTexasCurl Registered Users Posts: 42
    Umm-no; how would one clarify? That's what I was wondering about-what would get all the previous gunk out. Am I totally hopeless??
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    Just a regular sulfate shampoo will remove all the bad cones like cyclopentasiloxane. Some people do stuff like ACV rinses instead, but I don't know how or what they remove. Someone else might be able to tell you that.
    3b-3c CG
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Registered Users Posts: 264
    I've been CG for almost a year and when I started I shampooed with a regular sulfate shampoo to clean out all the gunk from before. That should fix your problem, although it is normal for you hair to be a little weird at first, as it needs a little time to adjust to the fact that it doesn't need to produce as much oil as it did when you were using drying sulfates. So give it a good sulfate wash and then try again. Good luck!
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
    Ok-I did the regular shampoo wash and am starting over. Today my hair looks really dry and it's frizzy; but I am hoping that with a few days it will be better. I also think I need a different gel so I'm going to go and look for one today. Thanks for your help guys!!
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Registered Users Posts: 264
    No problem. And for the record, my hair felt like crap after the shampoo wash too!
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
    Just wondering-what is modified CG?

I've now gone a couple of days on CG, and with the new gel my hair is looking a lot better. My scalp feels sort of strange but I understand that is to be expected for a little while. Did you shampoo wash at all after you started or just go full in? I am planning on going full in now that I've begun properly...any other advice?
  • CurlyQTPieCurlyQTPie Registered Users Posts: 447
    Just wanted to add that for some, myself included, it takes weeks before you notice an overall improvement in your hair.
    3B with some 3a. Fell off but am now back on the CG bandwagon and looking for my HG products.
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Registered Users Posts: 237
    JuicyTube wrote:
    Just a regular sulfate shampoo will remove all the bad cones like cyclopentasiloxane. Some people do stuff like ACV rinses instead, but I don't know how or what they remove. Someone else might be able to tell you that.

hey came across this.
    Just to confirm that.
    I tried an ACV rinse after to remove that particular cone and it just didnt work.

so anyone else looking to do that, beware
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    TexasCurl wrote:
    Just wondering-what is modified CG?
    I've now gone a couple of days on CG, and with the new gel my hair is looking a lot better. My scalp feels sort of strange but I understand that is to be expected for a little while. Did you shampoo wash at all after you started or just go full in? I am planning on going full in now that I've begun properly...any other advice?
    Modified CG means that you occasionally shampoo, usually (but not always) with a non sulphate poo.
    As far as your scalp feeling funny...could you expand on that? I am just curious....Maybe one of the site gurus could have an answer for you...
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • RedheadCurly2007RedheadCurly2007 Registered Users Posts: 230
    How about a brownsugar scrub, and an ACV might help. The best piece of advice I could give would be to be pateint. My hair had many days of not agreeing, it was a chemical thing I think... mostly. It has to go through its metamorphasis. It is used to certain products and has not been without for awhile...it is as if you are detoxing your hair, I really agree with that. I would be light on the conditioner at first. Make sure to rinse your hair for a long time, it always helped me.
    Red
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Xtramoist shampoo, Fastfood leave on, Recoil, varnish Gel-Herbal Essances, Totally Twisted
    Irish-American Curly
    Never try to be something you are not, and never be afraid to be who you are.
    RedheadCurly
    Thanks guys! I am just beginning what seems to be a long journey. I thought that this was going to ease up my hair routine; but I think it's just the lesser of all the "hair evils". As with anything new there is a learning curve.

I haven't done an ACV or brown sugar scrub. I am thinking of doing the brown sugar maybe in the morning. What about the honey rinse...will that help? Or not yet?

As for my scalp feeling funny-I think it's just an adjustment to no-poo thing and it's trying to get a little oily on me so it feels dirty. Not in a sweaty stinky dirty way but the I didn't quite get all the conditioner out of my hair way. I am rinsing it all out right now....so no that's not it. I just think I am going to have to hide and watch for a little while now and see what my hair can do.
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,478 Curl Connoisseur
    TexasCurl - have you tried leaving some or all of your condition in? Sometimes rinsing it all out can is the problem. Lots of us leave either it all in or rinse a little out, but not all of it.

As for the honey, there's a couple of ways to do it and no it's not too early :). Some people use a final rinse mixing water with a little honey in a big cup and pouring it over their head. Some mix it in with their conditioner (not to cowash with, but the conditioning part). I do this, but not all the time as I've found that honey can lighten my highlights.

Anyway, try leaving all or some of the conditioner in and see if that helps at all. And welcome to the wild world of daily experiments :lol: !
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    You mentioned that you read "tons of posts" before starting and have the CO everyone says it's Ok", however, this is the first time I see the VO5 Strawberry Moisture Milk recommended for washing. I'm not saying it hasn't been recommended but the one that repeatedly has been mentioned as more effective is the Kiwi & Lime Clarifying and more recently the Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint and also the Vita Burst. You don't mention if you use the same CO for conditioning nor how often you CO-wash, just rinse in between, etc. As for your gel, I can't give an opinion since you couldn't remember the name.

However, you must keep in mind that nothing can work for everyone, so even if others are having great success with certain products that doesn't guarantee that you will too. There are many variables to consider such as the quality of your water and the condition and type of your own hair. Nevertheless, I want to emphasize that success on CG depends largely on the COs used as they are the foundation of the whole routine. As many others before you, it's very possible that you may find it necessary to experiment with other COs before you find the one that totally agrees with your hair's needs. The gel is important too but some people have found they can even do without one if their CO is good enough - when I first started CG I didn't use a gel for well over a year. And when choosing a gel be sure that you only follow the recommendations of people who have hair similar to yours.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file