Need skincare help

juliehoosierjuliehoosier Posts: 15Registered Users
:( I'm 31 years old, and my face is breaking out worse now than it did when I was in high school. I'm sick, sick, sick of it! The skin on my cheeks, forehead, and nose is clear, but around my mouth, I break out every single freakin' month--and it TAKES another month for it to clear up! :x

I've done the whole Retin-A thing---it did nothing for me. Right now, I'm using Cetaphil and an acne cream from Clean & Clear, but I want something that will prevent acne--not just clear it up afterwards. My skin is probably on the oily side of normal--which is fine for me, as it means I don't have any wrinkles yet, but I HATE the acne!

I was thinking of trying Paula Begoun's line--anyone here had any luck with that? Any product recs you could give me would be MOST appreciated.

TIA!
3a/b shoulder length auburn Boticellis
No-poo since 2/13/04
Currently using Devacurl line--and I may never go back to anything else! No poo once a week. One Condition every day, followed by AnGell.

Comments

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    Have you seen a dermatologist? It might not be real acne. There is a skin condition (can't remember what it is called) that affects women around the mouth and men around the eyes. Weird, I know, but my husband had it. It was treated with an oral antibiotic and has never come back. It kind of looked like acne and until treated, kept going away and coming back for about a year. Just a thought.

Also, it could be a reaction to something you're using and perhaps sensitive to, like the cetaphyl. People like it, I know, but my skin hated it--I broke out, if I remember correctly, and it did not clean my skin. My skin is also fairly oily, like yours. If you're having a reaction to something, that would explain why it takes so long for your skin to clear up and why the acne medication doesn't help. If you see a dermatologist, you could be cured with and antibiotic cream.

I have had issues with my skin for years because it's sensitive to just about everything. For the longest time I thought it was acne, but for the most part it wasn't. As long as I don't use anything with the ingredients I'm sensitive to (mineral oil and its derivatives, salicylic acid, lanolin, etc), I'm fine.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • miacurlmiacurl Posts: 332Registered Users
    ok, if it is just a skin thing (adult acne) and not a problem medically--the best best best cleanser I have used for adult acne (and I have used many--probably as many as looking for a perfect hair product) has been Serious Skin Care Glycolic Cleanser. You use a dime size amt. on dry skin work it in like washing your face--add a bit of warm h2o to your face and use a washcloth (wet with warm water) to remove. That is it--you do not need a toner with this product. I started getting adult acne in my T zone from around age 31 til now (I am 40 :shock: ) and this is a miracle. One bottle lasts me about 6 months--my husband uses it too. You can order it online at www.hsn.com, and what is great about it, is keep the packaging when it comes and send it back if it does not help--I feel very confident you will like this--I had positive results within 3 days of use (2x per day.)
    2C/3A auburn hair.
    between shoulders and BSL
  • juliehoosierjuliehoosier Posts: 15Registered Users
    You know, miacurl, your post reminds me that I used the glycolic cleanser a while ago and loved it--I had great skin back then. I'll have to re-order and give it another go. Thanks!
    3a/b shoulder length auburn Boticellis
    No-poo since 2/13/04
    Currently using Devacurl line--and I may never go back to anything else! No poo once a week. One Condition every day, followed by AnGell.
  • miacurlmiacurl Posts: 332Registered Users
    Oh I am so glad. I love it mostly in the summer, fall and spring. In the winter I use it every other day and switch off with Kiss My Face Aloe Soap or Aveeno Sensitive Skin Cleanser. Good luck. :)
    2C/3A auburn hair.
    between shoulders and BSL
  • wonderwomanwonderwoman Posts: 18Registered Users
    I had similar complaints with my skin. I would get those monthly (I think they corresponded with my menstrual cycle, hope that isn't too much news) big sore pimples on my chin area. And, like you said, they were always there. As soon as one would clear up, another would arrive. And I could hardly not pick at them. UGH. I have been using Proactive for about 2.5 years (I am 27) and now my only complaints are nose blackheads and enlarged nose pores, which I think are a hereditary thing anyway.

I have had NO breakouts, I mean not even a single pimple, since using Proactive.
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users

I have had NO breakouts, I mean not even a single pimple, since using Proactive.

Wow. Only hear good stuff about this product. Might just have to try it.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file