P-90x

nepanthenepanthe Posts: 292Registered Users
Has any one tried these DVD's from Beachbody.com

They are called P-90x-A series of 12 extreme DVD's that gets you in shape(or shall I say kicks your butt into shape) in 90 days.. this is too pricey for me..since I am still looking for full time employment, however this is on my wish list.

Did anyone purchase this? If so what were your results? Are you still do ing them?

Comments

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I've been looking at these.

There are a lot of reviews at videofitness.com.

I tend not to go for entire sets, but that's my preference. It seems that out of a set, usually some are mediocre and some are really great. So I just go for 1 or 2 of the great ones. These things ARE expensive. Sometimes if you can hold out, they show up on overstock.com for a lot less!

ETA:

It looks like it's $139 for a set of 12 DVDs which I guess isn't too bad, but there's no way I'd use all the DVDs. I'm mostly interested in the strength ones, I have my own routines for cardio. ALSO, I think the set SHOULD include the resistance bands and pullup bar that are used in the workouts, but it doesn't. And it's what, $80 to buy those separately (and that doesn't include shipping, which brings it to $100). That makes me angry! If I'm going to buy a set of 12 DVDs, that set better include the equipment I need to do the workouts! They don't even offer a discount on buying the DVDs plus equipment. Tchah.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
    I had to chime in on this. I have been just reading the site but I just registered so that I could comment. I am doing P90X and I am in week 10, and it is the BOMB. It is fun, it kicks your butt, and I literally am sore right now from my leg work out on Sunday.

I now can do 1 hand push-up and pull ups, I have lost many inches of my waste, and I feel good and look great. I would tell anyone its well worth the cash. And I am for real. If you want to chat more about it PM me. :)
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

• DivanapsDivanaps Posts: 14Registered Users
    I, too am doing p90x (day 3 for me) and it really does kick your butt. I was told that you need to be in pretty good shape already to start but I didn't pay any attention to that. I need to lose at least 50lbs and it really is a workout. Some of the videos I can only make it half way through but I see that as something to work towards. Now if I can only get this eating thing down, I'd be all set for the summer. lol
  • nepanthenepanthe Posts: 292Registered Users
    Diva Naps--Go gurlllll!!! I am in decent shape, but I must hae reached the plateau stage..SO I am looking forward to my b-day..by boyfriend or should I say SO said he would buy this for me.. Keep up the good work though.. :D
  • DivanapsDivanaps Posts: 14Registered Users
    Thanks, Still need to work on this eating though :oops: ! You will love it. I have no doubt that it will definitely get you through your plateau. I see the trainers at my gym having their clients do the eaxct same exercises in p90X.
  • mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
    yeah eating right is the toughest part but its necessary. To see the muscle that you are going to gain doing P90X you HAVE to eat right. I am on week 11 and I would tell anyone to do it. But you do need to have a good level of fitness or you will struggle.

Divanaps I would say stick with it and you will love your body! And you will be proud of how strong you become, and dont worry about not being able to do the whole videos! This is my week 11 and I still cant do the whole yoga DVD.

Oh and it does not come with equipment but its work the money. The fact of the matter is this system is a life time commitment, you can always do the program over and over again. And you can get weights and a pull-up bar from Walmart or Sports Authority for pretty cheap.
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

nepanthe, did you do the p90x rotation?

After all my naysayery I'm getting ready to cave. LOL. I have a few of the individual workouts already and find myself reaching for them fairly often. I've probably spent twice what p90x costs on DVDs that didn't click for me...that's why it's hard for me to imagine buying a whole SET of dvds that might annoy me! But I like the ones I have.
    formerly Castella
    I am getting the workouts as a X-mas gift...I cannot wait...I love Cathe Frederick..but I am ready for something a little more challenging..
    Cool!

I keep hoping there'll be some kind of discount but I haven't seen one yet. There's also 4 (?) new P90X + workout coming out in January I guess. There are clips on YouTube. They look haaaaard. Anyways, of the ones I've done, I like PlyoX, shoulder & arms, and Legs & Back.

Cathe's coming out with this new STS 10-DVD set sometime next year. Supposed to be a 6-month strength program. I have high hopes but it'll almost surely be expensive.

I realized that I've finally reached an intermediate level and need a lot more variety in my workouts.

Anyhoo--Happy Christmas to you!
    formerly Castella
    I may have to look into this on as well....Congratulations on getting to intermediate status..

Happy Holidays to u as well:wink:
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm planning on starting this program in Jan 2010.. wish me luck!

I've got the dvds, the plan, and I've done the workouts before but I didn't go in whole hog. After the Holidays I will. I'm sure I'll need it after all the eating I'm sure I will be doing.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • FTFEFTFE Posts: 163Registered Users
    I'm just chiming in.
    I did this program a few years back. I liked it, but I substituted the cardio towards the end. Some of the cardio workouts were not as challenging as I was looking for and they did get a bit repetitive by the end of Month 2. Other then that, it was a good program.

I loved the Ab ripper workout (after about a month). I'd be afraid to try it now though since I've been slacking with my core work lately. It's really tough, but you do see improvement pretty quickly.

Good luck to all of you about to do or who are in process of doing it.
    CG (modified) since 6/18/2009
    ii, 2c/3a?, med/course, porous (I think), normal elasticity
    co-wash: Suave green apple, Deva no-poo, Giovanni TTTT, occasional Deva low-poo
    condish: playing with NatPathAV, AOHR,
    leave-in: KCNT
    styling: HE set me up, curl keeper, KCCC, and BRHG
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I believe CurlyHairedFarmer has done this program.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    FTFE wrote: »
    I'm just chiming in.
    I did this program a few years back. I liked it, but I substituted the cardio towards the end. Some of the cardio workouts were not as challenging as I was looking for and they did get a bit repetitive by the end of Month 2. Other then that, it was a good program.

I loved the Ab ripper workout (after about a month). I'd be afraid to try it now though since I've been slacking with my core work lately. It's really tough, but you do see improvement pretty quickly.

Good luck to all of you about to do or who are in process of doing it.

Good that you were customizing the program for yourself, since every body is different, I see I will have to do this too.

I did the shoulders and legs workout two days ago, and I'm still incredibly sore.. I don't know if I'll be able to do a different workout every day at the beginning of the program, but I'll do what my body can handle (of course while pushing myself).
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Phoenix wrote: »
    I believe CurlyHairedFarmer has done this program.

I am in the middle of it right now :thumbup:

I love it. It kicks my ass and gets rid of all the stress I have.

I have abs now from it, and I am about 1 month and a half in.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I started but stopped. :( My problem, if i don't work out first thing, I don't do it.

I'm going to try to start back on Monday.

I did like it a lot, and it does kick your a$$.
  • Courtney11405Courtney11405 Posts: 45Registered Users
    *coming out from lurking to add my two cents

I am on week 8 of following the classic routine and sticking to their prescribed diet. I was slightly flabby and not in great shape before starting but not overweight (13% body fat, 125 pounds at 5'7"). I was not too motivated to make any changes, I was feeling fine although I wanted to be more toned. I started P90X with my DH who was/is trying to lose some weight and get some muscle and wanted a workout partner. And I'll have to say I am extremely happy with both of our results and very glad we are doing it together!

I am building tons of muscle and dropping body fat-currently at 10% body fat and 130 pounds (obviously weight means nothing when you are building muscle). My arms are noticeably toned and my abs have a defined 4 pack with a 6 pack coming through when I am working hard. My husband has already dropped 15 pounds and gained tons of muscle-he wasn't able to get these results with any other routine.

We had the DVD's and equipment for a long time (you don't need the pull up bar or weights-just bands. However, we have weights, bands and bars but DH uses just the bands when he is out of town for work). And we really were out of excuses as to why we were not give it our all. It is a HUGE time commitment and it is a crazy hard workout but it is fun to see what our bodies can do and can look like when we push ourselves.

I highly recommend it!! My favs have to be the legs/back workout and Kenpo. I despise yoga---boooring but I stick with it. We do every exercise and full length of the DVD, just take short breaks/do less reps if we can't keep up.
    Fine/Thin/Med Porosity 3a-b
    CG since 7-2008
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Posts: 248Registered Users
    I definitely want to try this...They had this on qvc for 5 easy pay payments?

I am sure that i can get it somewhere else on line as well.Hopefully!
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just a suggestion for those looking for more or don't want to buy the DVD's - check out crossfit.com, which uses a lot of the same bodyweight movements but more intense. If you have some equipment you can easily do Crossfit workouts at home.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Posts: 248Registered Users
    ^^thanks.

since i lost my job..i won't be able to buy those workouts now..
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    ^^thanks.

since i lost my job..i won't be able to buy those workouts now..

my brothers have bootlegs of them....
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    mslanee1 wrote: »
    I had to chime in on this. I have been just reading the site but I just registered so that I could comment. I am doing P90X and I am in week 10, and it is the BOMB. It is fun, it kicks your butt, and I literally am sore right now from my leg work out on Sunday.

I now can do 1 hand push-up and pull ups, I have lost many inches of my waste, and I feel good and look great. I would tell anyone its well worth the cash. And I am for real. If you want to chat more about it PM me. :)

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • seniyaseniya Posts: 21Registered Users
    I LOVE P90X!!!!

I mean, I'm not doing them properly. I still can only do 2 pull ups and probably 5 pushups. I just do a few routines when I'm too lazy to go to the gym but THEY WORK!!! Just 45 mins do those and your body can hurt for days!!! LOVE IT!!!!
    BC: June 2nd 2010

Current Length: Six inches, I'd like to believe

Routine: Wash and goes with VO5. Profectiv Hair Strengthener + Castor Oil + Water. Elasta QP Feels Like Silk on lazy days.

http://public.fotki.com/seniya/
  • yv0nneyv0nne Posts: 372Registered Users
    P90X was awesome .. I can't wait for my restart date :D
    HalfPastWonderful

Today was the day that I put everything in perspective!
    I fell asleep, when I woke up, everything changed.*--
  • longhairdivalonghairdiva Posts: 6Registered Users
    Yes! I have had GREAT SUCCESS with the entire Beach Body workout system. My father has dropped 60 pounds while using P90X. GO FOR IT!
    Curls rock!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file